Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD4P No Video Problem

Default GA-EX58-UD4P No Video Problem

I just purchased and installed a GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard. As far as I can tell everything is installed properly: the nVidia 9800GT gfx card, the 3 Corsair DDR3 memory modules (totaling 6GB), and the Intel i7 Core 2.66GHz CPU. Nothing seems to be connected improperly yet when I power on the system I don't get any video.

I've tried removing the memory modules and repositioning them, I've pulled out the CPU and reseated it, I've tried putting the 9800GT in a different PCI-E slot yet nothing seems to work. I know this isn't much to go on but if anyone has a suggestion please share. Thanks!

NOTE: Upon further searching it appears I'm not the only one with the problem. Another update: all fans are working properly and the three memory modules are situated in the white slots.
    Last edited by thunderclap82; 07-16-2009 at 12:42 PM.

SolidBladez is offline Member

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD4P No Video Problem

Have you tried resetting the CMOS. I think something similar happened to me on the first try booting up and I simply pressed the CLR CMOS on the back and it fixed it on next boot up.

Quote Originally Posted by SolidBladez View Post
    Have you tried resetting the CMOS. I think something similar happened to me on the first try booting up and I simply pressed the CLR CMOS on the back and it fixed it on next boot up.
    Yes... I've tried that. Thanks though.

SolidBladez is offline Member

The only things I can think of is that either your memory is bad (try one stick at a time) or that it's not compatible with your board (I've seen several cases where Corsair users could not get anything to work on Gigabyte boards).

Quote Originally Posted by SolidBladez View Post
    The only things I can think of is that either your memory is bad (try one stick at a time) or that it's not compatible with your board (I've seen several cases where Corsair users could not get anything to work on Gigabyte boards).
    I've already tried them one stick at a time and that didn't work. I'm trying to think if I tried to boot without any RAM. I'm pretty sure I did and that didn't work either. Should I get something even if no RAM is installed?

I bought the Corsair RAM through NewEgg as it was listed as something other customers have bought with this board. I just checked and that has since changed to G.SKILL memory.

Is there any way to test the memory theory?
    Last edited by thunderclap82; 07-16-2009 at 01:13 PM.

I saw someone else did this and thought it was a good idea. Here are three pictures to help illustrate my setup:

CPU

PHASE LED & DDR Voltage LED/DDR PHASE LED/NB PHASE LED
    (All the Phase lights are on. It looks like 3/4 of the DDR lights are on.)

nVidia is situated in the top slot (I assume this is slot one, though I've tried the bottom one too.)

Also, I have a 700-watt power supply for this thing.
    Last edited by thunderclap82; 07-16-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Did you check for bent pins when you removed the CPU? If not check now, and be careful and look very closely.

Do you have a different PSU to test with? I ask this because I have seen MANY Systems fail to start due to a incompatible/faulty/dying PSU. If you do not have another to try, can you borrow one or take your setup to a friends to test? Do you have a PSU Tester?

Ya know what.... I see you DO NOT have the ATX 12V CPU Power cable plugged in, this is likely the WHOLE issue. See the 8 pin plug right to the left of the CPU right above the "Ultra Durable" Heatsink, you MUST Plug in this cable from your PSU or the system will not start. So thanks for posting your images, hopefully that is all that is wrong.

So plug that in and you should be up and running!

Pic in case things were not clear above

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-16-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Did you check for bent pins when you removed the CPU? If not check now, and be careful and look very closely.
    I did but I'm not seeing pins like I used to. It's been about nine years since I've built a system and it looks flat, not hundreds of tiny pins like I remember.

Do you have a different PSU to test with? I ask this because I have seen MANY Systems fail to start due to a incompatible/faulty/dying PSU. If you do not have another to try, can you borrow one or take your setup to a friends to test? Do you have a PSU Tester?
    I don't and have no friends that use PC's. They're all iMac or MacBook people. And no PSU tester.

Ya know what.... I see you DO NOT have the ATX 12V CPU Power cable plugged in, this is likely the WHOLE issue. See the 8 pin plug right to the left of the CPU right above the "Ultra Durable" Heatsink, you MUST Plug in this cable from your PSU or the system will not start. So thanks for posting your images, hopefully that is all that is wrong.
    I was wondering about that but couldn't find a cable from the PSU that fit into that. I have a 4+4 PCI-Express cable and a 6+2 cable. Nothing else looks to fit. I'll double check this though.

UPDATE: Nevermind. I must have been getting tired last night because I swear that 6+2 cable didn't fit. Just tried it now and it snapped right in, no problem. Thanks for pointing it out!
    Last edited by thunderclap82; 07-16-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

There is 1, 366 pins in there. If you need to get a magnifying glass.

Hmm, STOP NOW....

Please link me to your PSU or give me the model name/number so we can check if you have a proper PSU.

Some PSU's you can use a 4pin in the 8pin plug, but it is not advised especially in a X58 system.

The 6+2 cable is for PCIE Cards and is NOT for that CPU ATX Connection on your board, if you have it connected there now I advise you to unplug it and wait for some replies by me or others on your PSU before you kill your board

Plugging in the wrong cables may fit, and may work, but also may kill your board, PSU, Memory, Ram, GFX Card, CPU, ect and so on.

It is advised if your PSU ONLY has the 4Pin ATX 12V CPU cable that you buy a new PSU with a 8 PIN ATX/EPS 12V CPU Cable.

No matter what, you cannot use the PCIE Cable in the CPU Plug, hopefully you have not killed things already.

You should be looking at one of these three on your PSU, with the latter two being advised for use on X58 >>

4 Pin CPU/Motherboard Power Cable (ATX 12V)

All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

8 Pin CPU/Motherboard Power Cable (4+4 ATX 12V)

8 Pin EPS CPU/Motherboard Power Cable (8 Pin ATX 12V EPS)

This is Incorrect, and not meant for nor should be plugged into your Motherboard at all

8 Pin PCIE Cable (6+2 PCI Express Power Cable)

If the wiring and voltages are the same it may work for a while, but is for sure not advised as your PSU will have different power allotments or other specifications regarding the PCIE Cable that may or may not work properly when used in a incorrect place (CPU)
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-17-2009 at 04:17 PM.

I was going to mention the PSU..... :o
    i7 920 D0
    Gigabyte UD4P Bios F9c

Thread Information