Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDE DVD drive makes UD3R lock up

Default IDE DVD drive makes UD3R lock up

I've got a couple month old Pioneer IDE DVD burner that's causing my entire PC to lock up. It was working for a while, then at one point, I tried to make a hackintosh. After messing around in the bios and fixing the settings, the OSX install didn't work anyway... So I set the BIOS settings back to defaults, cleared the CMOS, and went straight back to using just my SATA HDD windows 7 install.

However, ever since then, my DVD drive causes my computer to lock up when a SATA HDD is plugged in. Even the BIOS locks up completely. If I remove the DVD drive, it works fine. If I leave the DVD drive in, and remove the SATA HDD, it works fine. Both, on the other hand, = lock up. So... something is conflicting, but I'm not sure what.

A while back my SATA HDD failed, so while I sent it back to seagate, I was running off of an old 18gig IDE drive and my IDE DVD drive. No problems at all.

I've got my Win7 running perfectly now. I tried to use my DVD burner again, but it still froze... So I'm currently DVD burner-less.

Obviously the least stressful choice would be to buy a SATA DVD burner, but money is extremely tight recently.

Any ideas?

BIOS version is F6.

PC specs =
    •Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
    •GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R
    •OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600
    •SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870
    •Seagate Barracuda 500GB
    •PC Power Cooling 750w

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: IDE DVD drive makes UD3R lock up

Have you tried re-installing the latest Intel INF Driver package? If not, please go ahead and try that now to see if it corrects things.
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

If not be sure you have the jumper set on the drive correct and the drive placement on the cable correct, Master is the end of the cable.

Alright, I'll give it a go in the morning. I'm going to install the Vista64 version since Win7 x64 isn't listed.

Sorry to be unclear. I meant that the inf driver package did not have a version specifically for Windows 7, so I used the Vista x64 package instead.

Ahh, ok! Ya, that is what you do. If you have issues installing run it in compatibility mode.

Well, I installed the INF package fine, but I decided that before I try to get my DVD burner working, I'd update the BIOS to F7c in order to solve the slow ACHI boot options.

Apparently I can't boot from a USB flash drive any more. I'm really starting to hate this motherboard...

I've tried two different flash drives, both newly formatted to FAT32. Whenever I boot up with a USB drive inserted, the computer locks up the same way it does when the DVD burner is connected. If I turn off Legacy USB support, it will boot up fine... but of course, I can't get into qflash that way. I also can't use bootable USB OS installations.

Don't really know what caused this. I've tried the front ports and the back ports. Same result.

You must leave the USB Flash stick in when rebooting, and you must have Legacy USB Storage Detect/USB Storage Function enabled in the BIOS.

Then you can either move your USB Stick to the top of the Hard Disk Boot Priority, not suggested, or when you reboot Press F12 to get to the boot menu. Then choose + HDD Hard Drive and on the next screen choose your USB Stick by name

Some USB Sticks are just not compatible, especially larger ones. I would try some others maybe smaller or different brands.

You can also flash the BIOS from a CD or Floppy if you need to. You can also make a FAT32 Partition on one of your hard drives, and flash via Qflash from there too.

If you need help with any of that that let me know

Thanks, but as pointed out in my other thread, I've done those steps. The CD idea doesn't sound too bad, but unfortunately, my only DVD drive is the one that causes my computer to lock up for no apparent reason. Hahaha...

Lsd's suggestion of checking the jumpers was my first thought too. If you had an IDE HDD on the same cable, then you would have set it to master with the DVD drive to slave. Double check the position of the jumper. You may even have set it to cable-select by mistake; it's easy done as those pins are tiny.

Not sure about on your board, but on mine the JMicron controller I believe controlls the single IDE socket and the two Gigabyte SATA connectors. Do you have your HDD plugged into the Giga/JMicron socket? If so, switching to the Intel ones could help. If you're running on Intel already ignore this ofc.

You may also want to search for similar problems with the same DVD burner. DVD burners have a BIOS too, ie firmware. It can become corrupted, I've had it happen to me for no apparent reason. It may also be an odd firmware bug that Pioneer fixed with an update. Flashing the drive as with all flashes is a slight risk, but bricking a £20 dive is much more bearable than a £180+ motherboard for example.

On the subject of USB sticks, as mentioned in Advanced Features or Integrated Peripherals there should be an option to enable USB storage detect or similar. I use beta BIOS's when available and noticed that some have this disabled by default, and others have it enabled. Also as Lsd said, some require the stick to be in the port at switch on, where as other versions (on my same board) didn't mind, and detected the stick on the fly.

If USB support is still not working I'd recommend a CMOS clear, load optimized defaults, save and exit then key in your current settings again manually. Re-loading a profile may cause the freshly reset config to lock out USB sticks again, putting you back to square one.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information