Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building with a GA-EP45 UD3P

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Building with a GA-EP45 UD3P

Clean install, no matter what OS/method you decide is a must due to the move from AMD to Intel.

Good luck in deciding what to install, if you need further help please ask as we can help you out with any of that

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    If your OS came as part of a package from a major re-seller you may have a big problem.

Companies like IBM, Lenovo, Dell HP, Packard Bell etc have access to a special type of OEm version of Vista. This version looks to the BIOS of the motherboard to verify validity. Installing the OS using the provided key code on a different board will result in you not being able to activate Windows. It will tell you there is an activation problem and that you should contact the OEM in question.

This is the reason why I'm running Windows 7 RC1. I simply am not able to install Vista on the system now I'm running on an EP45-UD3P.

If you're lucky enough to not be limited by this then you are within your rights (though legally a grey area) to download a copy of Windows Vista OEM and register it with your key code. After all it's the key code you pay for and not the OS.

Just read your last post. It's a shame you spent money on a new OS now with Windows 7 so close. You could have downloaded Windows 7. It stays working until March 2010 and is rock solid stable as well as being faster than Vista (for me anyway). There Was a pre-order program where you could get a copy of Win 7 for $49 in the US. I think this ended on 11 July though. This is an upgrade version, but if you were to "happen upon" a Vista or XP install CD somehow, original or burned, then you could install it just fine.

If you're in the UK then the pre-order program has just started, so it's not too late. 49 for a FULL version of Win 7, only without Internet Explorer due to EU anti competition rulings.

I haven't bought an OS yet, but I know that on my current HP w/ Vista, I think I qualify for a Windows 7 upgrade. I should also be able to upgrade once I get my new rig up and running.

The reason I have to get a new OS is because my HP came with Vista 64 pre-packaged, and no install CD.

Problem is, your free upgrade will likely be a locked to BIOS version too. This means it'll only activate on the AMD board.

As I mentioned, it doesn't matter that you don't have an install CD.

If the registration code is on the side of the case, or you can find it out using a tool to poll the registry, then you are within your rights to download a copy of Vista OEM from any source you wish. If you register it with your key code (if it's not BIOS locked) then it's a genuine copy. When you buy an OS, it's the key code you pay for. This gives you the right to use the software.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 07-17-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information