Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Tune 6 CIA2, thoughts and help appreciated! Esp. LSD!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Easy Tune 6 CIA2, thoughts and help appreciated! Esp. LSD!

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    There really is no need to be rude. I am looking for some help, not a bunch of rude people telling me not to use it. If you have any helpful advise, please feel free to share. If you don't, please don't bother.
    You asked for thoughts and you got them.
    Realy, if you think it's better and fit your needs and does the job for you then use it.
    Some like to push their computer to the max, some like to decorate it, other just like it it cool and quiet. Whatever you feel good with, go for it.

I would say that if you like CIA2, then use it. I do have strong feelings against the use of the program, as in the hands of the uneducated (not including you in that Phisherman as you had the good sense to set certain BIOS values manually) it can be a dangerous tool and lead possibly to "PC go boom!" syndrome.

I don't really rate it for its power saving effect. For example, assuming that Phisherman is right, and some benches don't ramp up speed to max, even at 100% usage:

Program A actions an operation and takes 20 seconds to complete it. During this CIA2 engaged and kicked speed up to the mid setting (of three settings).

Program A on a non CIA2 enabled machine, with EIST enabled, but OC'd to the same level as the CIA2 machine when "CIA2'd" to max takes 16 seconds to complete.

||From the two examples, although the CIA2 enabled machine was running at less of a frequency, the non CIA2 machine completed faster, and dropped to idle at a low speed (EIST enabled) 4 seconds quicker. It may be that the CIA2 machine used less power over all or it could be the other way around due to the non CIA2 machine completing quicker.

For purely power saving efficiency, using DES along with a mild overclock, EIST and C1E would, I believe, yield the best results. Preferably leaving the Vcore on auto in the case of a mild overclock, to allow C1E and EIST to lower core voltage at idle, as well as the CPU multi to 6. Note that anything other than auto Vcore results in EIST and/or C1E being blocked from lowering Vcore.

I admire you for investigating the possible usefulness of CIA2, however I believe you would be better off, even power wise, setting the max overclock manually, with C1E and EIST, whilst finding the minimum Vcore needed to be stable. In some cases you may find that you can overclock AND undervolt a CPU to a certain extent and be rock solid stable. This would be the ultimate in low power computing when combined with DES (turning off CPU power phases) and C1E + EIST.

I see no harm you continuing to use CIA2. So long as PLL, VTT (CPU Term) and MCH core are set manually to values that are stable at the max frequency CIA applies. If possible, and I don't usually recommend this, have Vcore set to auto to allow EIST to lower it at idle. Check what CIA and the board set for Vcore when on auto and CIA is at max. It should be no more than 1.35V for me to consider it reasonable, but as that's a bit high for a mild OC, I'd like to see lower.

Everyone's different and has different opinions on what they consider "good" etc. I personally am not comfortable with such programs. I like to tell the PC what to do (it's my b-1-t-c-h), not the other way around. I respect others opinions, and like I said a bit back in this post, only use it if voltages are not too high on auto, and make sure if you're new to OCing that you know what the general consensus is on safe ranges.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    I would say that if you like CIA2, then use it. I do have strong feelings against the use of the program, as in the hands of the uneducated (not including you in that Phisherman as you had the good sense to set certain BIOS values manually) it can be a dangerous tool and lead possibly to "PC go boom!" syndrome.

I don't really rate it for its power saving effect. For example, assuming that Phisherman is right, and some benches don't ramp up speed to max, even at 100% usage:

Program A actions an operation and takes 20 seconds to complete it. During this CIA2 engaged and kicked speed up to the mid setting (of three settings).

Program A on a non CIA2 enabled machine, with EIST enabled, but OC'd to the same level as the CIA2 machine when "CIA2'd" to max takes 16 seconds to complete.

||From the two examples, although the CIA2 enabled machine was running at less of a frequency, the non CIA2 machine completed faster, and dropped to idle at a low speed (EIST enabled) 4 seconds quicker. It may be that the CIA2 machine used less power over all or it could be the other way around due to the non CIA2 machine completing quicker.

For purely power saving efficiency, using DES along with a mild overclock, EIST and C1E would, I believe, yield the best results. Preferably leaving the Vcore on auto in the case of a mild overclock, to allow C1E and EIST to lower core voltage at idle, as well as the CPU multi to 6. Note that anything other than auto Vcore results in EIST and/or C1E being blocked from lowering Vcore.

I admire you for investigating the possible usefulness of CIA2, however I believe you would be better off, even power wise, setting the max overclock manually, with C1E and EIST, whilst finding the minimum Vcore needed to be stable. In some cases you may find that you can overclock AND undervolt a CPU to a certain extent and be rock solid stable. This would be the ultimate in low power computing when combined with DES (turning off CPU power phases) and C1E + EIST.

I see no harm you continuing to use CIA2. So long as PLL, VTT (CPU Term) and MCH core are set manually to values that are stable at the max frequency CIA applies. If possible, and I don't usually recommend this, have Vcore set to auto to allow EIST to lower it at idle. Check what CIA and the board set for Vcore when on auto and CIA is at max. It should be no more than 1.35V for me to consider it reasonable, but as that's a bit high for a mild OC, I'd like to see lower.

Everyone's different and has different opinions on what they consider "good" etc. I personally am not comfortable with such programs. I like to tell the PC what to do (it's my b-1-t-c-h), not the other way around. I respect others opinions, and like I said a bit back in this post, only use it if voltages are not too high on auto, and make sure if you're new to OCing that you know what the general consensus is on safe ranges.

Thank you Psycho! I idolize your intelligence, and want to thank you, and all the helpful members for all of your help!

I never had much luck with other manufacturers programs like this, so I probably value it more than most.

I am having trouble getting it to full speed on all of my components, ie. 1066MHz, 4.*GHz auto volts. I have never seen my Vcore go over 1.3V unless forced to do so. But thanks for the tips I will keep a close eye on it.

I had this fully stressed manually and found it too simple. I like the added possible performance, and challenge of all the options, and might eventually settle with a manual OC.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR BIOS F5
    Intel E8500 E0 w/ GeminII S Air cooled & Delta PWM 120mm
    Kingston KHX1066 / 4G 2x2GB 5-5-5-15 KHX8500D2K2/4G
    http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp
    WD Raptor 740ADFD (Raptor) & WD Blue 500GB
    BFG GTS250OC 1GB / Samsung T260HD
    Antec Basiq 500W
    Cooler Master Scout case w/ 3 x 140mm Kaze Maru, & 1 x 120mm Thermaltake Smart fan II
    Vista Premium 64bit SP2 / Win 7 RC

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    There really is no need to be rude. I am looking for some helpful advise. If you have any helpful advice, please feel free to share. If you don't, please don't bother.
    Im Sorry If I came across Rude. I was still in shock over the 100+Ghz Clock reading. I am, Simply expressing my opinion and I and im sure others would be really happy to help you get to your optimum overclock the good old fasion manual way.

I cant speak for your BIOS but I really dont like the AUTO Vcore on mine. once I forgot to set it and saw in CPU-Z it was like 1.5v. I Was like OMG and quickly fixed it. Every Board Is different I guess.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

INdeed, some boards really do go over the top with regards to auto settings. 1.5v is crazy. I guess the BIOS is designed in an "Absolutely definitely 100% make sure there's more than enough voltage and sod the recommended limits" kind of a way.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Quote Originally Posted by NimrodAUS View Post
    Im Sorry If I came across Rude. I was still in shock over the 100+Ghz Clock reading. I am, Simply expressing my opinion and I and im sure others would be really happy to help you get to your optimum overclock the good old fasion manual way.

I cant speak for your BIOS but I really dont like the AUTO Vcore on mine. once I forgot to set it and saw in CPU-Z it was like 1.5v. I Was like OMG and quickly fixed it. Every Board Is different I guess.
    No need to be sorry, I apologize for being so defensive. I just love this program...
    Antec Basiq 500W
    Cooler Master Scout case w/ 3 x 140mm Kaze Maru, & 1 x 120mm Thermaltake Smart fan II

Just received my new Delta fan. Now going for higher speeds. I recently found out overclocking is possible while using CIA2. It does not throttle as much now, but it does remain more stable without much Vdroop.
    Antec Basiq 500W

I think I must have a golden 8500 CPU. Overclocks better than most from what I have seen. I think I'll see how far I can get it with max 1.35 Vcore. Approaching 4.3GHz @ 1.3V

Just need to do some research on max safe IBT temps, approaching 80C.
    Antec Basiq 500W

Have you calibrated RealTemp? Search the forum for two methods. One involves calibrating at idle (not possible if your DTS sensors are "stuck") and another at load. I prefer idle, others prefer load callibration. Either way it's not going to get them reading 100% right, just "better". You may find that the readings atr maybe 5c too high or a little too low.

I personally don't worry too much about IBT temps. How hot does the CPU fet while in a closed case using prime Large FFT /Orthos Large FFT /OCCT Large data Set? At least a 30 minute run should determine max temp. Obviously as the air in the case heats up from other components being worksd, COU temp will suffer, unless you have a direct feed to the HSF from the outside, and no case air being used.

IBT is a great way of checking out how your cooler copes. It's unlikely that any other program will get your CPU as hot as it does. As your cooler is commonly regarded in most reviews as having average heat dissipating abilities (it does look really nice), changing to a TRUE, Prolimatech Megahalems, Noctua or maybe even a titan Fenrir (more budget end but very good for the money) could see temps drop considerably. Any where from 5-8c off that 80c temp should be possible with the right cooler. This will then filter down to temp drops at lesser loads like Prime95.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Have you calibrated RealTemp? Search the forum for two methods. One involves calibrating at idle (not possible if your DTS sensors are "stuck") and another at load. I prefer idle, others prefer load callibration. Either way it's not going to get them reading 100% right, just "better". You may find that the readings atr maybe 5c too high or a little too low.

I personally don't worry too much about IBT temps. How hot does the CPU fet while in a closed case using prime Large FFT /Orthos Large FFT /OCCT Large data Set? At least a 30 minute run should determine max temp. Obviously as the air in the case heats up from other components being worksd, COU temp will suffer, unless you have a direct feed to the HSF from the outside, and no case air being used.

IBT is a great way of checking out how your cooler copes. It's unlikely that any other program will get your CPU as hot as it does. As your cooler is commonly regarded in most reviews as having average heat dissipating abilities (it does look really nice), changing to a TRUE, Prolimatech Megahalems, Noctua or maybe even a titan Fenrir (more budget end but very good for the money) could see temps drop considerably. Any where from 5-8c off that 80c temp should be possible with the right cooler. This will then filter down to temp drops at lesser loads like Prime95.

Thanks for the advice!!!

It maxes at around 65c depending on the voltage I set obviously. Have it at 4.3GHz 1.29V now. When fully loaded It hangs around mid 60's depending on my fan speed (Delta AFB1212SH-PWM). I am just unsure if I could damage it by running it at too hot a temp while using IBT. It never gets very hot with Prime.

I calibrated Realtemp and it matches all other temp monitoring software I have found. Although I calibrated at stock settings, think I should re-do it?

My cooler is nothing special. I just liked that it did not weigh much, had a Copper base, and still somewhat follows Intel specs. I got pretty lucky considering I only had $40. Beats the old Intel at least!
    Antec Basiq 500W

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information