Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCI wireless card stalled computer

Default Re: PCI wireless card stalled computer

Thanks Conners. It seems downloading the Athero driver is the best bet. I'll give it a try. The strange thing here is that the card works without any problem in my DFI mobo and AMD64 cpu desktop. I'll try the Athero driver. All other tips in the thread I have tried before. Hope it works. I'll post back with result.
    Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8 GHz
    GA x58 ud3R rev 1.0 BIOS F8d
    OCZ gold DDR3 1600 6GB
    Corsair TX650 650W psu
    Powercolor HD4850
    WD Cavier Black 640GB
    CM690 case
    Vendetta 2 cpu HSF
    Win7, Linux Debian 5 dual boot (all 64 bit)

Conners: I tried the Atheros drivers (the latest and the oldest there is), no joy. There is also no error messages in event viewer.

This is what is happening. I downloaded the Atheros drivers (which listed as compatible to my wireless card), and it requires the card to be plugged into the pci slot. So, after putting it in and power up, winxp actually loadfs (since at this point, there is no preloaded driver). I executed the downloaded Atheros driver, and it started to install, but hang up the computer in mid point. I have to reboot to get out of it, and nothing gets installed.

I believe there is something incompatible between my wireless card and the Gigabyte board. I'll go out and buy a new wireless card and see if it will work.

Thank you all for your effort to help. I'll also try to get help from Gigabyte and see if I have missed anything.
    Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8 GHz
    OCZ gold DDR3 1600 6GB
    Corsair TX650 650W psu
    Powercolor HD4850
    WD Cavier Black 640GB
    CM690 case
    Vendetta 2 cpu HSF

Default Re:(problem solved) PCI wireless card stalled computer

Persistence paid off. I tried the Atheros driver 5.0.0.107.
    Here what I did to make it work, so others can search this.

Put the Netgear311T into PCI slot. Boot.
    Go to device manager and uninstall this device.
    Install Atheros_5.0.0.107 (download from [ Phoenix Networks ] Affordable Networking Consulting & Computer Internet Technology Services for Arizona)
    Use Atheros utility to set up and connect to router.

Thanks to everyone who helped and tried to help.
    Special thanks to Conners.
    Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8 GHz
    OCZ gold DDR3 1600 6GB
    Corsair TX650 650W psu
    Powercolor HD4850
    WD Cavier Black 640GB
    CM690 case
    Vendetta 2 cpu HSF

Glad you solved your wireless problems. I thought you were going to give up there for a while.

Conners: I spoke too soon. It did work, but after I rebooted, it reverted back to the Microsoft driver. I tried the trick again, and rebooted, and now Windows7 will not load, unless I remove the card or remove the driver. I cannot remove the driver unless I plug the card in, but if the card is in windows7 will not load. So, I am now re-installing windows7, and try again. I have to use windows7 since I cannot make it work in winxp. I think the Atheros driver is not certified, hence after I rebooted, it cannot load causing windows to hang. How do you prevent it to happen?
    Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8 GHz
    OCZ gold DDR3 1600 6GB
    Corsair TX650 650W psu
    Powercolor HD4850
    WD Cavier Black 640GB
    CM690 case
    Vendetta 2 cpu HSF

I have to use windows7 since I cannot make it work in winxp. I think the Atheros driver is not certified, hence after I rebooted, it cannot load causing windows to hang. How do you prevent it to happen?
    Simply put don't use windows 7. (ok smarta$$) I would think it would work in XP, but I am convinced it's a driver issue aren't you. A person might search for Windows 7 driver. Have you looked on NetGears web site for a W7 driver? Then again as cheap as network cards are it may my worthwhile to get a newer card, it may solve all your problems...

On another note seems like reinstalling windows would be the long way around to getting it to boot. You still have linux installed right?
    Last edited by Conners; 07-30-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Yes, getting a new wireless adapter card will certainly solved the problem. I am going to give it a last try.

I still have linux. It is the same same, it will not boot with the card in.It hangs at the point:
    of loading /dev

So, a new card is the real solution. There is something in this Gigabyte mobo and together with windows will obsolete the older pci cards.

I know I can use driver cleaner, but re-installing is pretty easy with windows7 and linux.
    Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8 GHz
    OCZ gold DDR3 1600 6GB
    Corsair TX650 650W psu
    Powercolor HD4850
    WD Cavier Black 640GB
    CM690 case
    Vendetta 2 cpu HSF

Have you ever tried using device manager to delete old drivers? They might be causing the conflict. I don't know much about W7 and if drivers have to be certified to work, but it seems to me that could be bypassed so it won't re-detect the card and install windows drivers.

Anyway here's how to remove old non present devices. For future reference for some one..... This should work basically the same way for XP, and Vista and I bet in W7 also.

Righ Click on My Computer click Properties
    Click Advanced Tab and under Startup and Recovery click Environment Varables
    Under System Variables click New
    In the box that pops up type: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and a veriable valve of 1
    Click ok twice to exit.

Then Open Device Manager and under View menue select Show Hidden Devices
    The ones that look faded or translucent are non present devices
    Right click on them and choose uninstall or remove or whater it's called. Then reboot.

Be careful though as non-loaded devices, drivers, and services are grayed out also. Only remove items you know you don’t need and be careful that you don’t delete too many or you may need to re-activate Windows.
    Last edited by Conners; 07-30-2009 at 04:30 AM. Reason: edited for last statement

Thanks. I did uninstall at device manager, and it did remove the hardware. I should have just delete the driver. Thanks for the info above. Enough playing for now. Will give update later.
    Intel i7 920 D0 @3.8 GHz
    OCZ gold DDR3 1600 6GB
    Corsair TX650 650W psu
    Powercolor HD4850
    WD Cavier Black 640GB
    CM690 case
    Vendetta 2 cpu HSF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information