Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

Quote Originally Posted by Wheely34 View Post
    The only way I can get the CPU host frequenzy above 270 is if I set the System Memory Multiplier to [Auto]...but if it's set to Auto, it puts my RAM frequency above 800MHz. My XMS2 RAM is rated at 800MHz...is this ok? Will the ram actually try and run past 800 and perhaps overheat...or will it not exceed 800mhz?
    DRAM Timing Selectable is auto but timings set manually, how can that be or is it mistype?
    For 540MHz (major underclock) timings can be 3-3-3-8. Underclocking memory without adjusting timings accordingly is equal to loser timings which may require lower performance level (higher Static tRead Value)
    Does the P35 also have different multipliers for different straps?
    Try instead selecting multiplier and leave timings on auto.

Please fill your signature with your system spec and memory link for easier reference.

I have already tried manually setting the Memory Multiplier manually and setting all the timings to [Auto]. I have literally spent hours and hours trying every possible combination of settings with no luck.

When I get home, I will post a picture of my actual BIOS screen which may clear up some things that i am trying to say.
    Antec 900 (Custom Metallic Red Paint)
    Antec 850W PSU
    Q6600 Kentsfield G0 OCed to 3.2GHz
    Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 150GB 10,000RPM VelociRaptor HD
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz (4-4-4-12)
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2
    Dualing Windows 7 + XP x64

Well i finally got it to work on ver. F5

I played around with the memory multiplier till I got the frequency set at exactly 800MHz. For some reason, it refuses to boot if I have the frequency below 800mhz.

Corrently have it clocked at 3.00GHz with a memory clock of 800MHz and Latency of 4-4-4-12. Everything seems to be stable and running good.

Thanks to everyone who provided some input on this.
    Last edited by Wheely34; 07-23-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Antec 850W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2

I'm glad you got everything working stable.

The official Gigabyte person (Lsdmeasap, the mod of this section) has been busy of late with real life issues. There is I think a post somewhere explaining this, though it may have been pushed down the list a little; there is alot of traffic here, as it looks to be about the busiest TweakTown forum on the site. please don't think bad of the forum, or that Gigabyte don't care etc. Lsdmeasap is extremely knowledgable and will do his best. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a reply from him when he is back as he likes to always answer every question himself, unless it's been solved, and even then can follow up to see if everything is still OK.

That's the great thing about this board. The moderating style is structured but chilled out, and the community here is very knowledgeable.

If you would like any advice on overclocking etc, feel free to post your full BIOS template. There are a few people here who are either running or have just upgraded from a Q6600 who will have good knowledge of likely settings that will work.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I actually did read a post that he participated in and he was extremely helpful. I was actually looking forward to his input on this, although everyone else's was also helpful.

The truth is, more people come on these forums to get questions answered, not to provide solutions. That, plus the fact that this is a very busy forum, I do understand if I dont get as much input as i desired.

It is very clear that this board has issues with OCing. Although I love the board and it has given me absolutely no problems besides this, I highly recommend against this board if you are a tweaker. Me personally, I like Gigabyte's products, but considering my experience with this, I most likely will never purchase another one of their boards if I plan to do any tweaking with it.

This was my first REAL OCing experience, but I am very knowledgable in how it works and how to do it and what problems to expect. I understand that whenever you run anything past the specifications they are designed to work at, u will run into problems, no matter how "good" or "bad" the product is.

Again, thanx for the input and i look foreward to posting on this forum
    Antec 850W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2

To be honest, you haven't really purchased a tweakers board. You'd get the same problems, lack of options etc buying any mainstream board.

For guaranteed success (almost) with tweaking and overclocking you need to buy a more enthusiast oriented board. For instance shooting for say 4.2GHz with an E8400 on a P43 based board would be unlikely to work (not impossible ) due to missing adjustment options and the fact that Intel themselves bin the more mainstream spec chipsets lower.

If you intend to tweak, then an EP45-Ud3 series, EP45-Extreme or an X48 board is recommended. Anything else and it's down to luck as to how good an overclocker it may be. Some get great clocks on mid end boards, and others don't. The EP45-UD3P for instance is holding its own against many ultra high end X48 boards costing more than double the price. There are other high-mid end, decently priced boards that are also great clockers such as Biostar's TPower I45 which along with the UD3P, has been seen to reach in excess of 600 FSB with a golden CPU.

I'm not saying Gigabyte is perfect, and you should definitely always buy that brand. The best way is always to buy the best board you can that fits your overclocking needs and fits your budget. It was pure chance that I purchased my board. I just researched on xtreme systems, anandtech etc and was really impressed with it. Before I bought this, my only experience with Gigabyte was when their products weren't as good. They'd often be refered to in forums as "Gigash1te" for this reason. Glad I went ahead and got the board though. It takes any CPU I throw at it to a whole new level.

Looking forward to seeing you around on the forum.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 07-24-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Well honestly when i bought this board, OCing was a consideration, but not a definite. I just looked at all the people on newegg that claimed it was an easy OCer and they were gettin some good numbers, so I figured i was alright if i decided to startin tweakin in the future.

Dont mean to bag on Gigabyte boards in a Gigabyte forum...hell, this is the first one i've ever owned lol, so i dont have room to talk. Again, wenever tweaking any piece of equipment past OEM rated specs, problems are almost inevitable, I just didnt expect to run into this mess lol. but watevr, its figured out now, i'm stable at 3ghz and i'll probably just keep it there for a bit.
    Antec 850W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12