Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

Question GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

After hours upon hours of experimenting with different voltages, frequencies, and RAM timings, I've come to the conclusion that this board just isn't overclockable, or I just haven't exhausted every possible solution. I have done quite a bit of research on this board and found that it is a very tedious board to OC. My problem, just like everyone else that has this board, is no matter what I set my CPU Host Frequency too, it will not take it. It shuts off (which is normal), boots up, then shuts off again, resetting everything back to original specs. I thought maybe I wasn't giving my cpu, RAM, etc. enough juice, so I uped each of the voltages 0.1V… still no luck. My XMS2 RAM comes from the factory set to 5-5-5-18. I tried 4-4-4-12, still didn't work. I purchased an Ultra-120 Extreme heatsink couple with a 120mm fan and have my CPU idling at 30C, topping out at 39C at MAX load (when CPU is set to OEM frequency that is), so heat isn't/wouldn’t be an issue. I checked my BIOS via the registry, and I am running “F5B” which I am almost certain is the latest BIOS for this board (I'm really not sure because Gigabyte’s website is vague and just says the latest BIOS ver. is F5).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Within my BIOS, I have also made the following changes that supposedly can affect OCing. I have a 1:1 Ratio and I am currently running my CPU at a clock of 2.43GHz, which is perfectly stable, but literally the most I can get out of my CPU without the BIOS resetting itself...which is a joke. Even raising the CPU Host Frequency from 270 to 271, it won't take it and resets. Again, below is my current configuration which is running perfectly stable, but even the most minute increase will fail and the BIOS resets:<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9x]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [270]<o:p></o:p>

(This yields a CPU clock of 2.43GHz)<o:p></o:p>

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]

System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    (DRAM value is exactly 540MHz)

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]

Performance Enhance = [Standard] (I have tried this on standard, turbo, and extreme w/ no luck)

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4<o:p></o:p>

Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42

Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]<o:p></o:p>

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.1V] (equals 1.9V which is what the XMS2 is rated at)
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] << For stability
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.32500V]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU multithreading............................[Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
    Virtualization Technology and the CPU Warning Temperature are also disabled.<o:p></o:p>
    If I take this exact set-up, but increase the CPU Host Clock from 270 to 271, the computer won’t take it, reboots twice, and resets. I have run MemTest86 and my RAM tests perfectly. The only other thing I can think of trying is flashing my BIOS to ver. F3 considering I have read a number of cases where ppl have seen luck with OCing using that version. I really would rather not flash back to a dated BIOS however, but I will if I have too…<o:p></o:p>
    I also read of 2 people, using this MOBO, disconnecting their optical drives and that was allowing them to OC…I don’t see why that would matter, but perhaps someone else can enlighten me on that lol.

In my signature is my rig along with the specifications. Really, I am just stumped and heard that this is the forum to turn too to get some help with this. I really do not want to except that this is just a board that can't be OCed...not when I have read sooo many ppl on newegg, when buying this board, successfully OCing to some really nice numbers.
    Antec 900 (Custom Metallic Red Paint)
    Antec 850W PSU
    Q6600 Kentsfield G0 OCed to 3.2GHz
    Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 150GB 10,000RPM VelociRaptor HD
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz (4-4-4-12)
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2
    Dualing Windows 7 + XP x64

Default Re: GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

Set all the RAM timings to AUTO for now, some of them may cause problems at certain combinations of settings (static tRead for example).
    Disconnecting certain devices can help overclocking since less devices to manage means less strain on the northbridge, and less strain means better overclocking. So do try disconnecting your optical drive and maybe the sound card, just to find out if it helps.
    But you're actually not really overclocking the board, since it should run fine with stock FSB1333 (4x333MHz) CPUs. My guess is that either your RAM timings are holding you back, or because of poor board design/BIOS programming you will need to disconnect devices to overclock.

Also, did you update the BIOS? Using the newest BIOS may fix your problem.

Are you using 4x1GB or 2x2GB of RAM? 4x1GB may also lead to problems with the board.

Question Re: GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

I am running 2x2GB RAM. I have also tried OCing with the settings on AUTO with no luck. Again, I'm guessing I have the latest BIOS. Looking in the registry it tells me i have "F5B". According to Gigabyte's website, "F5" is the latest BIOS...Doesn't say F5B or F5A or anything liek that...just F5.

Should I try flashing it to F3 if disconnecting the devices does not work??
    Antec 850W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2

It's not unheard of that earlier BIOS versions work better. If disconnecting devices doesn't help maybe an earlier BIOS does. If you got the time and know what you're doing then try and see if older BIOSes work better.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wheely34 View Post
    I am running 2x2GB RAM. I have also tried OCing with the settings on AUTO with no luck.
    Hmmm, I had no problem OCing my P35 board (ASUS P5K-SE) from 266 to 333FSB with everything on auto, only 2x1GB though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheely34
    Again, I'm guessing I have the latest BIOS. Looking in the registry it tells me i have "F5B". According to Gigabyte's website, "F5" is the latest BIOS...Doesn't say F5B or F5A or anything liek that...just F5.
    Seems like a beta version, what do you see at boot screen (disable the logo,) where did you get it from?

Well I never flashed this BIOS from the actual gigabyte website, but I definitely bought this board before the "F5" BIOS was released. I think I may have used that @BIOS program, which I now know is not a reliable program to use.

Weird thing is, I tried downloading and flashing my BIOS with the F5 version from their website, but it's telling me the installation is only 32-bit compatible... I then tried saving it to a USB flash drive and using the Q-Flash utility through the BIOS, but it wont recognize USB devices...only seems to recognize Floppy drives, which I of course do not have one. I swear, it seems gigabyte is trying to throw every issue at me. I guess i'll yank an old Floppy from the garage, hook it up, and flash this thing the old fashion way...
    Antec 850W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2

To use Qflash from a USB stick, the stick needs to be formatted in FAT32, not NTFS. You alo need to have an option enabled to allow the use of USB outside of Windows/DOS. This option is called usually either USB storage or Legacy USB storage detect. On some boards you must also have the USB drive inserted before powering on/restarting the machine to enter Qflash.

Partitioning off a small section of your HDD and formatting it to FAT32, then coppying the BIOS file there will also work.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Well I did have it formatted FAT32, but I indeed had Legacy USB storage detect disabled. To me, nothing really seems "Legacy" about a USB 2.0 falsh drive lol. Thanks for that comment, may enable me to actually flash this thing without hooking up this floppy i have in my hand
    Antec 850W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2

Question Re: GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

Turns out the BIOS I was using was most likely a beta (guessing that's what the "b" stood for) I first tried flashing to F5 (the latest BIOS) with no luck. Then I flashed to F3 with no luck. I even tried F4 with no luck. No matter what BIOS I flash it too it refuses to take anything above 270. The only way I can get the CPU host frequenzy above 270 is if I set the System Memory Multiplier to [Auto]...but if it's set to Auto, it puts my RAM frequency above 800MHz. My XMS2 RAM is rated at 800MHz...is this ok? Will the ram actually try and run past 800 and perhaps overheat...or will it not exceed 800mhz?
    Last edited by Wheely34; 07-22-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    Antec 850W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2

Also, I am disapointed no one is here representing Gigabyte. They've clearly created an extremely hard board to work with...i just hope all of their boards arent like this.
    Last edited by Wheely34; 07-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    Antec 850W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    WD 80GB SATA HD
    ATI HD4850
    Creative SB Audigy 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast