Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Concerned about GA-X48-DS5 setup

Exclamation Concerned about GA-X48-DS5 setup

Had GA-X48-DS5 for a while now. Everything seems to work fine. I upgraded the CPU from Core 2 duo to Q9650 quad core recently. I had some DDR2 PC2-8800 OCZ2G11002GK(4x1gb) that I gotten free a while ago in a combo deal after a purchase. I tried it months ago and they didn't work. I really didn't want to put a lot effort in it at the time.

I recently revisited(last night) the task of getting these to work in my system. This after a few hours reading post in the Gigabyte Forum. Of course this turned out to be extremely helpful. I had very few problems to get these to work (they are not plug and Play friendly that is for sure).

RAM memtest (8hrs.) and Everest Stabily Test everthing stable so far.

I am somewhat worried about putting my host freq. @ 400 (CPU spec is 9x333/1333FSB) and basically running FSB1600 to get the memory to work. Shouldn't it work at 1333?

Anyway I have three other questions.

1. Please check out my BIOS settings and give me any tips or concerns. Am I doing things the right way?

2. I get "SYSTEM VOLTAGE NOT OPTIMIZED!" WARNING although voltages and temps seem to be OK. Why?

3. I want to upgrade my memory in the future to 8GB 1066 ram ( or maybe 1200mhz if I can get it stable). The QVL is somewhat limited. any suggestions for RAM?

Here is my setup and settings

PSU: Antec 500w Earthwatts
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz
    Memory: PC2-8800 OCZ2G11002GK(4x1gb)
    GPU: qty.(2) Sapphire (HD3870) crossfire connected.
    Storage: (3) WD 500gb SATA HD, (1)LG DVD RW

BIOS (PC Health Status)
    Vcore: 1.220V
    DDR18V: 2.128V
    +3.3V: 3.232V
    +12V: 12.175V

BIOS settings(MIT):

CPU Clock Ratio [7X]
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio [+0.5]
    CPU Frequency : 3GHz (400x7.5)
    CPU Host Control [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency [400]
    PCI Express Frequency [100]
    C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
    Performance Enhance [Standard]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [2.66D]
    Memory Frequency(Mhz) 533 1066
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Manual]
    *****Standard Timing Control*******
    CAS Latency Time [5]
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay [6]
    DRAM RAS# Precharge [6]
    Precharge delay(tRAS) [15]
    *****Advanced Timing Control*******
    All settings in [Auto]
    *****Clock Driving & Skew Control****
    CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [Normal]
    (G)MCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]
    *****System Voltage NOT Optimized!***** (Blinking)
    System Voltage Control [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control [+0.30V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control [Normal]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.025]
    Loadline Calibration [Auto]
    CPU Voltage Control [Normal]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Any information,concerns or tips will be greatly appreciated. Also would like to know if it is OK to have "System Voltage NOT Optimized!" warning.

Thank you all for support in the past, present and future.

Default Re: Concerned about GA-X48-DS5 setup

Dont be Concerend about the *****System Voltage NOT Optimized!***** (Blinking) It does it on mine, Its nothing. Looks like your system is Optimised pretty good. I wouldnt worry also about having 400Mhz FSB In fact Id be very tempted to just increase your Multiplier one notch at a time to overclock your Awesome CPU a tad. Watch your temps with real temp and run prime 95 to stress test your setup. If it stands up to a day of Prime and your temps are good, Then I would say you have got a sweet setup and a mild overclock. One thing I would actually do right now is to set your CPU Voltage Control To Manual and 1.25volts. Dont leave it on AUTO/Normal.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Yes, I thought I saw something a long while back about *****System Voltage NOT Optimized!***** once you mess with CPU speed/volts adjustment that this Is going to show. Nice to know this is not a big deal as long as everything checks out. I have been checking temps with Everest Ultimate. I have Real Temp and prime 95 somewhere on my spare HD probably a good idea to get them out. Temps max 62C(Avg.56C) full load 30min. 35C @ Idle(in Vista)

The voltage in auto ranges from 1.07 to 1.20. Shouldn't that be OK? Why set it to 1.25V? What is the advantage of manually setting CPU Voltage control?

I had this OCZ memory clocked up to 1193(stable). Just to see what it would do. I put it back down to 1066. I plan on putting the memory in my wifes computer( Pieced together by my old hand me downs) so I will be looking at some quality new RAM soon.

Thanks so much for your reply it really helped!

Well You could start off setting your vcore to 1.20v , I just suggested 1.25 cause I think thats what the "Stock" Voltage is. In CPU-Z it you will see the volts raise and lower with the load on your CPU. This is a feature in the BIOS which actually reduces the Multiplier of the cpu making it clock slower when your not using demanding applications. Its a good feature. Setting your voltage manually will not effect this at all. It simply will stock your Motherboard ramping up the Volt to mega crazy levels if you do decide to up you CPU Clock speed by increasing your multiplier. Its widely accepted as the recommended approch as I know with my GA-X48-DS5 it crank the volts up something crazy on me one day when I tried a little overclock. Max temps of 62 is not too high. What cooler are you using? If you were going to go crazy overclocking the crap out of it then I would get a better CPU Cooler. But I dont think it will hurt uping the notch to 8X400 = 3.2Ghz just to see how hot it will actually get. It may not make very much difference at all if you can keep it on stock voltage. Just a couple of fun suggestions
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

I am using a Artic Freezer Pro 7. I works pretty good for the money. Stock intel fan cannot even get close to it as far as cooling and noise level.

Yes, I will play with the voltages a little. I did set the Vcontrol to 1.25V. I ran the most stressful test in Prime95 and it locked up (6th test I think) However I don't think it was the Vcontrol setting. I noticed my temps are 3C higher also Idle and full load but that is not a concern.

I want stability for a week. And then I would like to go for 8X400. I have seen most people going to 3.2Ghz with no problem with this CPU and a few others 3.6.

If Prime 95 "Locked" Up it could be a ram setting. That Chip is capable of much much higher Speeds but for a humble overclock 3.2-3.6 is good. I would set your ram timmings manually to there stock values and run prime again and see what happens.
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Last night I ran one instance of Prime 95 using Real temp interface and it passed all test. I think it froze up before because I was opening mail and clicking around on my browser. Which I would assume is not a good idea when I am running these test especially when prime95 hit the memory hard.

I ran Prime for two hours this morning temps good and no freeze up. I am going to let it run all day while I am away from the computer and then all night.

My timmings are set manually. Although if I have another freeze up I will loosen tRAS to 18. And if that doesn't work adjust go through Advance settings to make sure every thing is in range. The next step would be to adjust MCH up abit. Does that sound about right?

Just thought I would pass along to anyone else reading this thread in hope it may help someone.

I am sure someone has gone into better detail on this.

To install memory (if you can't get it to post) on this board (GA-X48-DS5 and maybe others), I can't say for any other boards, as I have not installed memory higher than DDR2-6400 on any other board. If you are installing memory rated 1066 or higher(this may not be true for all memory) you may have to set your FSB to 400 and maybe adjust your MCH(Memory Controller Hub) voltage up (I would try +0.025 first) even before you put your memory in. To do this:

1.(Clear CMOS is suggested by some probably depends on if your timings are in Auto or not) Install known good memory that works(plug and play DDR2-6400 1.8V operating range is good) in board (just one stick is OK)
    2. Make the adjustments in BIOS and then save CMOS to BIOS if you like.
    3. Boot system to where ever (HD,Floppy,CD) I just boot to a bootable floppy or CD.
    4. Shutdown and put in higher rated memory (I used one stick first)
    5. Boot up to BIOS. Make any adjustments to memory timings. Check for stability.
    6. Install rest of RAM and Run MEMTEST86 to check for memory errors is a good idea.
    7. If you get errors check timings and/or MCH Voltage(important, just one increment at a time until stable). And or test 1 stick at a time for faulty memory.
    8. Read through or Post Problem in Gigabyte Forums for expert advice.

Hope this helps someone.

Thread Information