Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Looking to get a gaming sound card....?

Default Looking to get a gaming sound card....?

Hello All,

I was looking to get a gaming sound card and the one that first comes to mind is the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty (geeze that is a long name).

This issues and the questions I have is with compatibility with vista 64, drivers and game support.

In the past it seems Creative was horrible with Driver support, has this changed? Is this going to be something I can just drop in and it will work?

Thanks for your advice!

-Jason
    i7 3770K @ Stock for now F5 BIOS
    2 X 8 GB DDR3 1600MHz
    2 X 240 GB SATA 3 SSD RAID 0
    Gigabyte Z77X-Up7
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    EVGA GTX 285 PhysX

Default Re: Looking to get a gaming sound card....?

Well, I personally have a SB X-fi card (model SB0790) and it sounds great, especially with my 5.1 speakers. I bought mine at FRY's electronic store about half a year ago. It was 50$. The box says that it works with Vista (I have a 64bit), never experienced any problems so far. The product comes with a CD, wich has couple programs including an updating program which updates your drivers.

Nothing better than a SB X-Fi XtremeGamer about $100 I haven't had problem with the drivers in a long time. Sound cards manufacturers are hard to come by. Is Turtle Beach still around?

Dont want to take over the thread just have a simple quick question. I have a Creative Sounds Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound card PCI. Would it be better then the on board 7.1hd Audio on my X48-DS5? Would it be worth me installing it?
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by NimrodAUS View Post
    Dont want to take over the thread just have a simple quick question. I have a Creative Sounds Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound card PCI. Would it be better then the on board 7.1hd Audio on my X48-DS5? Would it be worth me installing it?
    Onboard audio is better these days than it used to be but only a separate sound card comes with a proper analog circuit. If you have good headphones you will hear the difference right away. EAX is less of importance now but still matters. Games sound better with a sound card and there is slightly lower CPU hit - even with good processors you can get higher frames per second if you install a sound card.

Agreed. Seperate sound card all the way. All onboard sound I've ever used has had interferance problems too, either while the PC and GPU is using large amounts of power, or even when using the mouse scroll wheel

To the OP: The Soundblaster is a good card, but I prefer the latest Asus Xonar card. It's an absolure autiophile's wet dream! The analog section including the headphone pre-amp is heavily shielded to prevent interference and everything has the now almost standard gold plate.

What really sets this sound card appart from the others is the choice of components. They're superb. Rather than sticking to one brand of capacitor and varying the capacitance depending on where it's connected, they've used different brands in certain places. Selecting a brand and particular model of capacitor for the right jub rather than just capacitance seems to have made a big difference.

I've never heard CD audio sound so rich and warm. I'm not a fan of CD sound quality, and prefer clean unscratched vinyl (don't get me started on cassette tape, that stuff's foul), but this card blew me away for CD, MP3 and gaming. I was tempted to undo the case of my mates PC, whip the card out and disappear, then change my phone number. they're that good.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Auzentech X-fi Forte. Built on X-fi chipset, but with components that don't suck ass. I have one on the way atm!

Thread Information