Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CPU Frequencies in BIOS and OS don't match

Default Re: CPU Frequencies in BIOS and OS don't match

OK, it's in profile1, and at 5-5-5-15. Thanks!

I think from here I'll keep bumping up the speed (CPU) little by little and see if I can squeeze out better framerates. If not I'll just fall back to this 3 GHz or the 2.8 GHz if things seem better there.

Thanks for all of your help! Much appreciated!
    My rig:
    Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition
    Thermaltake W0229RU 750W Modular PSU
    Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, BIOS F1
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 3.2 GHz
    G.Skill DDR3-1600 2x2 GB (F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI)
    Gigabyte GTX 470 1280 MB

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kornfan71 View Post
    OK, it's in profile1, and at 5-5-5-15. Thanks!

I think from here I'll keep bumping up the speed (CPU) little by little and see if I can squeeze out better framerates. If not I'll just fall back to this 3 GHz or the 2.8 GHz if things seem better there.

Thanks for all of your help! Much appreciated!
    I just refuse to believe increase in CPU and FSB would lead to lose in performance.
    400FSB gave me additional 2GB/s memory bandwidth and lower latencies.
    Going from 2.53GHz to 3.4GHz is 34% increase of CPU speed, and 50% FSB, and IBT shows me 33% increase in performance.
    Doesn't seem like a reliable benchmark to me that's all.
    My OC has just about the same changes you made with a higher multiplier, I'll d/l a 3D benchmark and see what I get.

You are most welcome, I like helping ppl and sharing experinces and knowledge. This is what this forum is all about.

I've been meaning to ask a few noob questions: What are CPU Termination, Reference, MCH Core and I/O (just brief explanations or links). More importantly, when do I need to change them, and to what extent?

If you want to do what I do, go here to get a Crysis demo, then go here for a nice benchmark GUI.
    You need Vista and DirectX 10 for my settings, but:
    All "VeryHigh" Detail, 1280x1024, DX10, No AA, and switch to "benchmark_cpu."

If you find a nice 3D benchmark tool, please tell me! =D
    My rig:
    Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition
    Thermaltake W0229RU 750W Modular PSU
    Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, BIOS F1
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 3.2 GHz
    G.Skill DDR3-1600 2x2 GB (F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI)
    Gigabyte GTX 470 1280 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kornfan71 View Post
    I've been meaning to ask a few noob questions: What are CPU Termination, Reference, MCH Core and I/O (just brief explanations or links). More importantly, when do I need to change them, and to what extent?
    I'm just about as noob, only 2-3 weeks on the forum.
    MCH - Memory Controller Hub, the north bridge, P43 chipset, controls the memory, and transfer between memory, graphics port PCI-E, and the CPU, connects to the CPU via the FSB (Front Side Bus.)
    I/O Core, the south bridge, the ICH10, transfer data between periferials and the CPU via the MCH. See P43/ICH10 diagram.
    CPU Termination/Reference I have no clue yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kornfan71
    If you want to do what I do, go here to get a Crysis demo, then go here for a nice benchmark GUI.
    You need Vista and DirectX 10 for my settings, but:
    All "VeryHigh" Detail, 1280x1024, DX10, No AA, and switch to "benchmark_cpu."

If you find a nice 3D benchmark tool, please tell me! =D
    Made some graphics benchmarks, seems I get about teh same results as you. I think my low end video card is simply maxed. There's some degradation when I tested with 1.6GHz@266x6. The part of the benchmark that benchmark the CPU does show a nice correlation between CPU frequency and the score.
    I am d/l 3DMak06 now, I'll post the result in few hours, I need some sleep.

OK I had to make those tests you know how it is LOL
    I ran 3DMark06 at 1600MHz(top) 2553MHz(mid) and 3400MHz(bottom).
    SM 2.0 and SM 3.0 tests show insignificant increase which means my GPU is maxed and cannot keep up with the CPUn at any speed.
    But if you look at the CPU scores, you'd see the (almost) perfect match between the CPU speed, and score increace precentage.
    Now I'm realy gonna get my sleep.

Last edited by Chike; 07-25-2009 at 12:30 PM.

You don't say exactly by how much your Crysis frame rate varied. +-5FPS is usual in any benchmark. It may be that 200MHz wasn't enough to see an effect.

Chike's template sounds good, but I'd disable XMP if present and set speeds and voltages for your RAM manually, as per the SPD.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    You don't say exactly by how much your Crysis frame rate varied. +-5FPS is usual in any benchmark. It may be that 200MHz wasn't enough to see an effect.
    The question is, is his GPU is up for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Chike's template sounds good, but I'd disable XMP if present and set speeds and voltages for your RAM manually, as per the SPD.
    We differ on the aproach on this matter. IMO why set it manually if the BIOS does just the same? Moreover, ff you decide to play with FSB, BIOS will adjust them accordingly, keep you on the safe side, with not even losing performance, rather than on the edge. The only one parameter I change manually is tRD, one change to make if things go wrong, hassle free overclocking.
    If you want to play with timing after you don overcklocking it's fine, though IMO waste of time and won't give you any real life, but only after you done overclocking.

Set them manually, because anything that takes control away from the user is a bad thing IMO. There have been cases on this very forum where seemingly identical timings set with XMP have gone t1ts up, where as the manually set timings were fine. Setting RAM timings is such a simple job, why automate it? Plus there's the fact that even an XMP profile sets ridiculously loose timings in some cases.

And yes, his GPU should see some increase in frame rate with Crysis as CPU speed gets higher. The 3870 isn't brand new, but it's as good as a 8800GTX, which isn't far off the mark.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Setting RAM timings is such a simple job, why automate it?
    I have explained this so many times, timings are not X-X-X-Y, timings are Xns-Yns-Zns-Tns, they are given in real time not as fixed numbers, and with any change in memory frequency they should be adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Plus there's the fact that even an XMP profile sets ridiculously loose timings in some cases.
    Same as the bove, what's ridiculous? If spec sais an operation takes 16ns that's the time it takes, it is not 5 or 18 or 62, it is time, usually given in nanoseconds.

I trust the manufecturesrs of memory chips and the engineers that design the modules to know what they are doing. They take safety margins, of course, but safty margings are for a reason, and the probably don't take that much of a margin.

Trusting them to know what they're doing has nothing to do with it. Same as with anything else. They set values that are guaranteed to work. If they didn't then tons of people will have problems when using XMP. Set it yourself manually to the SPD or XMP SPD then tweak values tighter from there. Don't rely on an XMP to hold your hand.

All due respect, but your first statement has nothing to do with what I said. I don't care about latency with x timings at y speed. Anyway, XMP isn't going to adjust timings as frequency goes up. XMP has one fixed set of values for the maximum frequency of the RAM. Simple. Often the difference between Profile 1 and Profile 2 is zero. Looking in Memset will show this. Regardless of which profile I choose, timings at x frequency are the same. The SPD tab shows only one XMP profile.

Nobody really needs to overcomplicate things by quoting actual ns values at a certain frequency. All you need to know basically when setting sub timings, is tighter is better, no matter the speed. Sure if only running RAM at 400MHz (DDR-800) then timings can be set tighter, and even those tighter timings could be slower in ns compared to looser timings at higher speed, but so what? Set the tightest stable timings at the speed you want to run your RAM, and you have the optimum performance your sticks are capable of.

As for an operation taking a set number of ns to complete, that's not true. It takes as long to complete as the RAM can run that operation with stability. Operation times aren't fixed, it depends how far the module is capable of being pushed.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 07-26-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information