Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: CPU Frequencies in BIOS and OS don't match

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: CPU Frequencies in BIOS and OS don't match

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Trusting them to know what they're doing has nothing to do with it. Same as with anything else. They set values that are guaranteed to work. If they didn't then tons of people will have problems when using XMP.
    True, I said with safty margins. And here you gave one reason yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Set it yourself manually to the SPD or XMP SPD then tweak values tighter from there. Don't rely on an XMP to hold your hand.
    Prove me that it's worth it. All you need to do is select XMP profile1 (BIOS may mess other settings including CPU frequency multiplier etc. set them back to their value,) timings on auto except tRD, and show me you have lost 1FPS in your favorite video game (or any other.)
    Sure you may lose a 100MB/s or have a 0.1ns higher latency but why should I care about that?

All due respect, but your first statement has nothing to do with what I said. I don't care about latency with x timings at y speed.
    You may not but the memory does.

Anyway, XMP isn't going to adjust timings as frequency goes up. XMP has one fixed set of values for the maximum frequency of the RAM.
    Now you are talking from the guts and not from the head. At the test I have made you can see clearly the timings indded changed. This is a proven fact, not what I think.
    XMP has no "max fixed" values as you say it, the so called fixed value is given in nanoseconds not cycles (see below.)

Simple. Often the difference between Profile 1 and Profile 2 is zero. Looking in Memset will show this. Regardless of which profile I choose, timings at x frequency are the same.
    You are just reading them wrong, not by your fault, just by the way they are shown with MemSet or CPU-Z.
    Grab SPDTool, read you own memory profile, and see how the values defined and the differences in profiles.

The SPD tab shows only one XMP profile.
    I may be wrong, but I am quite positive I have seen an SPD capture with 2 EPP or XMP profiles, though commonly there is only one.
    Last edited by Chike; 07-26-2009 at 02:19 AM.

I can'tsee the difference in profiles because like I said, a hell of a lot of XMP RAM, has one profile. Mine has one profile. I can still select from two profiles in the BIOS, but it still uses the same one, no matter what's selected.

I'm not saying YOU should care. I'm certainly not going to prove it's worth it for you. Do it yourself if you're interested.

I'll repeat again... WShat the HELL does latency in ns have to do with my advice of setting the timings manually rather than using XMP? Absolutly nothing!

There is no proven fact. An XMP profile has ONE list of values for the MHz value of the RAM that the profile belongs to. There may be two XMP profiles in the RAM for different settings, but it doesn't mean it will set "inbetween" values for "inbetween frequencies". Ie if there is an XMP profile for 400MHz to give 4-4-4-12 timings, and certain subtimings including tRC = 20 and another for 533MHz 5-5-5-15, including a tRC = 26, it's not XMP that decides at a 485MHz RAm speed to set tRC = 23. XMP is a static list. The only thing that will set a different tRC is the boards auto feature, which takes either the SPD or XMP into consideration.

Why use safety margins that might not be needed? Find the limits of your components yourself, then set your own safety margins. Why should I set a tRFC of 68 using XMP when I pass all my stress tests at tRFC=48. I'd call a margin of safety of 20 a little too much. I set it to 52 for 24/7. That's my margin of safety.

XMP behaves the same as a SPD, only it's there if there are no official JEDEC standards for the timings at the frequency covered, or if the timings are lower than the specification says at a certain frequency.

Adding a discussion about latency in ns isn't relevant to anything I said, and isn't relevant to what the OP is trying to do. Set the lowest latencies in the BIOS as your components will allow. they are the only adjustments the BIOS has. Even if data in an SPD or XMP is stored in there as latencies in ns, it is still only changeable in the BIOS by the value system it uses, which is clocks, not ns.

An opinion is a wonderful thing. It does not need justification. My opinion is my opinion. It may not be someone elses, but I don't care. In my opinion don't use an XMP, set values manually yourself. An XMP isn't magic, it's just another SPD.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    An opinion is a wonderful thing. It does not need justification. My opinion is my opinion. It may not be someone elses, but I don't care.
    Thank you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho10
    An XMP isn't magic, it's just another SPD.
    No magic what so ever, I say select XMP, if there is one because some of the timings are sometims better than the SPD, may just as well be the SPD, there's no difference, the BIOS will still ajust them as needed.

Sorry we got carried a little off topic here kornfan71, won't happen again.

Well, now that you two are done

(Don't worry about it. I do that all of the time with people!)

I'll take into consideration what both of you said, and I'll change settings (or not) accordingly, depending on what happens as I continue overclocking.

Well, I ran 3DMark06 at stock (2.8 GHz, 266 FSB x 10.5) and OC (3 GHz, 400 FSB x 7.5).

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///F:%5CUsers%5CKORNFA%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.scorescorecolor {mso-style-name:"score scorecolor";} span.subscorescorecolor {mso-style-name:"subscore scorecolor";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 2.8 GHz:

Code:
    3DMark Score 10955 

SM 2.0 Score 4784
      SM 3.0 Score 5319
    CPU Score 2503
    3 GHz:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///F:%5CUsers%5CKORNFA%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.scorescorecolor {mso-style-name:"score scorecolor";} span.subscorescorecolor {mso-style-name:"subscore scorecolor";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Code:
    3DMark Score 11227
      SM 2.0 Score 4872
      SM 3.0 Score 5345
      CPU Score 2665
    I tend to trust these results more than the ones from Crysis. So, I'll probably continue overclocking and see where I get.

And then my old question: "More importantly, when do I need to change them, and to what extent?" (CPU Termination, Reference, MCH Core and I/O)
    My rig:
    Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition
    Thermaltake W0229RU 750W Modular PSU
    Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, BIOS F1
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 3.2 GHz
    G.Skill DDR3-1600 2x2 GB (F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI)
    Gigabyte GTX 470 1280 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kornfan71 View Post
    I tend to trust these results more than the ones from Crysis. So, I'll probably continue overclocking and see where I get.
    The increase in SM tests is only minor, 1.8% and 0.48% respectively, but the CPU scales nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by kornfan71
    And then my old question: "More importantly, when do I need to change them, and to what extent?" (CPU Termination, Reference, MCH Core and I/O)
    I understand CPU Termination and Refenrence may help decreasing VCore from what Psycho101 and others say, but the EP43-UD3L options for these parameters are very limited.
    MCH Core needed to be increased for higher FSB and amount of memory.
    I guess the same goes for MCH I/O if you have a lot of periferials connected.
    As such they need to be increased until the point of stability, and again the EP43-UD3L options are very limited for those too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information