Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R Infinite boot cycle

Default GA-EP45-UD3R Infinite boot cycle

What a first post

Ok, Built a system on friday:

Sapphire Radeon 3850
    Core2 Quad Q9550
    Thermaltake 500W power supply
    2x WD 500GB SATA harddrives
    ATA DVD+-RW DL
    Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2x2GB)

System seemed to be running perfectly stable for the past several days. Installed some windows updates, rebooted, Update for network card was for the wrong card, fixed that, rebooted. Played around for a while on the computer. Decided to install trial of Photoshop Elements 7, to see if it would do what I wanted, it required a reboot. No big deal. Rebooted. Walked away. Came back and noticed PC was in a loop of rebooting.

Each cycle worked like this:

System would beep once (short beep), Gigabyte splash screen would display, A few seconds would elapse, screen would go blank, rather than display the list of devices that normally shows, and system would begin the cycle again.

What I have tried:

Powered off the computer and removed the power cord from the PSU for about 30 secounds.

Disconnected all drives from the MB

Removed one memory module

Swapped that module with the other modules

Shorted the CMOS reset jumper

Removed and replaced CMOS battery

Disconnected the keyboard.

Nothing changed the behavior.

Any clue?

(edit) no overclocking, memory was set by SPD, Optimized Defaults were loaded.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R Infinite boot cycle

Seems you have done about almost everything one can think of.
    There still may be power problem. Make sure all power connection are properly connected to the mother board. Check the video card is connected properly. If possible try another PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Seems you have done about almost everything one can think of.
    There still may be power problem. Make sure all power connection are properly connected to the mother board. Check the video card is connected properly. If possible try another PSU.
    Yeah, I checked the power connection. The PSU I'm using does have only a 4-pin 12v connector, but according to the documentation the MB can accept a 4 pin or 8 pin.

The only other PSU I have on-hand is a 250W, I'm reasonably sure the system won't work with that.

The old MB works fine (P4 2.6, Radeon 3850 AGP), I would imagine PSU problems would have manifest on that system, but this is stepping up from a single core system to a quad core.

You may also check for anything that may cause a short circuit on and below the board.
    I am the last one to advise you to buy a new PSU if the problem is not proven to be the PSU. See if you can loan one or find a shop you can check it with another PSU before you decide to RMA the board.

kick is offline Senior Member

30 seconds isnt really enough..give it 5 min if things arent happening and hold down the pwr button while the psu is turned off and the cable is disconnected.
    Theres a load of posts related to this.
    There is also the (emergency last resort) mbrd recovery technique..no i dont have the link.. but if you sort back thru posts you should find it.
    "Last resort" search might bring it up.
    Theres no reason the sys shouldnt boot up with 250, as long as all the connections are there,shouldnt harm it anyway.

Gigabyte flash screen would display? did you try and enter the bios with del key..hold it down while the splash screen is there.as soon as the splash screen disappears release the del key you might get 1 sec of a flashing cursor and then the bios will show..load optimised defaults n save em.

hitting delete key while flash screen is displayed will not immediately get you to the bios screen, you have to have it held when the flash screen disappears.
    If you dont the pc will just try and repost/reboot on whatever settings are saved.

However it seems you have done your best to clear cmos etc since you first got the problem so that may not apply now.
    I may have had to clear the cmos once or twice using the jumper Im not really sure now,but certainly not in the last 6 months or so.
    also on a repost/reboot attempt allow the board 3 tries each time to let it access the last good post setting stored.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Mine is doing something similair, it's does a 2-3 cycle boot/reboot before it completes a boot (meaning I normally here 2-3 beeps before a successful boot).

Well.... it's back up and running.

I tried it out on the bench, no case, just PSU monitor and keyboard. Everything's working fine now.

I suspect I know what caused it.

Which brings me to a silly question: Can a USB drive with a dodgy cable cause this sort of behavior on this board, if Legacy USB support is enabled?

When I reinstalled the old board, I had a difficult time getting my external USB drive to run again. I didn't think to pull USB devices when testing.. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Guineh View Post
    Which brings me to a silly question: Can a USB drive with a dodgy cable cause this sort of behavior on this board, if Legacy USB support is enabled?
    Could be with or without Legacy USB support enabled, all sort of weird stuff happen LOL.
    Glad to hear you solved the problem.

I have this exact same problem with the exact same motherboard. Sometimes my computer will start fine, other times it'll go into an infinite boot cycle. I tried a new PSU and am having the same problem. I've checked the connections and reseated the memory and cleared the bios back to the defaults and still nothing.

Has anyone found a reliable solution for this?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Please see the link in my signature and give us your full specs, BIOS settings, ect. Then we will be able to further advise you

Thread Information