Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory Not present

Default Memory Not present

I've searched but can't find anything that may help me but if I'm wrong a link would be helpful.

The problem is my 2048Megs of RAM only shows up as 1571840K at BIOS boot time.
    I have tried swapping the stick around to different slots and even tried different memory stick but it only ever shows up as 1.5 gig when it should be 2gigs.
    I've set BIOS settings to defaults and also tried changing DRAM config in MB Intelligent Tweaker but haven't had any luck.
    Default settings make the memory run at 800Mhz so I've changed the voltage to run it at 1066.

I actually have 2 sticks of 2048 (which is how I have managed to swap sticks) but I'm only installing 1 at the present so as to avoid the whole 32bit limit discussion.

I have a dedicated graphics card installed although there is also a graphics onboard (which I'm pretty sure I have disabled).

What's happening to 500megs of ram? I suspect something is taking it but I don't know what.
    If I run cpuid it shows me that I have a 2gig stick in the slot but BIOS, WINDOWS and even LINUX (dual boot) don't pick up all the memory.

Cheers
    Bob
    M/B : GA-M750SLI-DS4(rev. 1.0)
    BIOS Ver : F8
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphics : GeForce9600GT
    CPU : AMD 9750 QuadCore 2.4G
    O/S: Win XP (SP3)
    Memory: Corsair DDRII 2048Megs 1066MHz
    Power: 610 W

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Memory Not present

at a qwik guess its probably system memory being taken for graphics textures all gx cards seem to take it.. :( tho not as bad as the "turbo" older nvidia ones ..read cheapo instead of turbo,which had v little on board mem.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks for reply
    The graphics card I have installed is a GeForce 9600GT which has 512MB of it's own memory. Are you saying the filthy thing is taking another 500 from my RAM?
    Could it be the onboard graphics chip takes memory even when disabled in BIOS?

Well what do you know, The onboard graphics wasn't fully disabled. Another BIOS option regarding hybrid SLI was enabled. After disabling it I now have all RAM at my disposal.
    Cheers for the pointer.

kick is offline Senior Member

I was just about to log last night when I saw your post.
    Will the 2 ram sticks not work together?I mean who cares if all 4G isnt recognised you will get at least 1Gb extra.

I wasnt really thinking about Sli and the nvidia hybrid setup (maybe its just another marketing thing).

If 2 sticks will work,even if you have to bring the mem speed closer to 800 perhaps the sli configuration will give better gx performance with the 7000-8000 gx chip doing some of the work?
    If you have xp 32 bit perhaps the memory that the obrd gx card will take wouldnt be "lost".
    like 4Gb -.5Gb for hybrid sli=3.5Gb and then xp will only recognise 3.3Gb of that anyway?
    Maybe the .5 comes out of the 3.3G that xp would recognise tho,just speculating.

I find the 9600 GT good and mine will take a 10% overclock ok.The standard ddr3 speed on mine is 900mhz and i clock it up to 1000.
    Maybe if you get your system memory running at approx your gx card mem speed you might get some good testing results with the sli thing?
    Last edited by kick; 07-28-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Every things working well now. I do have all 4 gigs in and XP32bit is seeing its max and linux64bit is seeing all 4gigs.

SLI would only be a factor if I had two graphics cards in slots so I'm not loosing anything by turning it off.
    I'm not over clocking it either, but may later.

Cheers

Thread Information