Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + GA-EP45-UD3P problem

Default F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + GA-EP45-UD3P problem

Hi all,

Ok so i bougth a kit of G.Skill memory, F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK, but i'm having some issue using them on my GA-EP45-UD3P..

So first thing i did is seat one stick in slot #1 and see if the system boots. It did so i went in the bios and set the timing to 5-5-5-15 and DDR voltage to 2.1V as indicated in the documentation. Then i've placed the second stick in the slot #3 and the system did boot successfully, same with Windows.

So far so good! So I start Prime95, select the Blend test, start the test and then after like 10-15 sec Bam! Working threads stops with a rounding error... Arg

Ok so time to play with the timings... It's the first time I change so much settings in the bios and I still don't know all their meaning but anyway.. I've tried everything i could find in forums but no success.

Then i tried slot #2 and #4 with everything on "Auto" in the bios and voila! It's now working wonderfully! Did 3 passes in Memtest86+ with no errors and Prime95 is working great too.

Question 1: Do you think the slots #1 and #3 on my mobo are busted? If everything works well on slot #2 and #4, shouldn't it be working fine on #1 and #3 too?

Question 2: Does it make a difference if I am using slot #2 and #4 instead of slot #1 and #3 performance wise?

Question 3: My sticks seem to get very, verrryyy hot! I can barely hold my fingers on them more than 3-4 sec... Is it normal?

Thanks in advance for your advices!
    Rambobino

*Edit: Forgot to write my specs ;)

PSU: Antec 650 Watt
    GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1 Bios F9
    Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz E8400 version C0 @ stock speed
    F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK G.Skill memory
    Asus EN9800GTX+ video card
    Seagate 500gb

And some more precision, i've tested the sticks in slot #1 and #3 at 800 -> 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9v and they work flawlessly, but even at that voltage they get pretty hot... almost as hot as when they run at 1066.
    Last edited by Rambobino; 07-31-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + GA-EP45-UD3P problem

Quote Originally Posted by Rambobino View Post
    Question 1: Do you think the slots #1 and #3 on my mobo are busted? If everything works well on slot #2 and #4, shouldn't it be working fine on #1 and #3 too?
    #1 No, but but not impossible. #2 Yes, they should, and probably would, test them in the same conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambobino
    Question 2: Does it make a difference if I am using slot #2 and #4 instead of slot #1 and #3 performance wise?
    For the best that I know, no. The manual is quite clear about option to choose each of the colored slot pairs for 2 modules in dual-channel mode. One reason I chose P43 board over P/G41 boards that had some restrictions.

I suggest to run memtest86+ on the 2 modules seperatly. And then with one know good module in each of the slots. Then both modules in each coloe slot pair.
    It is advised to load optimized defaults first.

Put your system settings in your sig. Fill the template found in this post with your settings. It's just a template, ignore the values, fill it with your set and BIOS suggested settings and post it back wraped in dode tags (the # icon on post editor toolbar.)

Hello Chike, thanks for the areply!

Ok so i did some bench test with Everest Ultimate to see if there's a difference between using slot 1 and 3 vs 2 and 4 and I can't see any so you are right on this.

Right now i'm running the sticks at 1066 on slot 2 and 4 with all the settings on "Auto" in bios and it runs fine. I have to go to bed for now, but tomorrow i'll post my values in the template you gave me. Well in fact, everything is on Auto so i dont have a lot of values to place, but here's a quick screenshot of Memset and everest:

I don't really know if these values are good or if it could be a little faster with some tweaking... As I said, those are values set automatically by the mobo/SPD. So if you think of something, don't hesitate ;)

Thanks!
    Rambobino

The values are set to the SPD EPP profile values, not much more can be done, other than trying a lower Static tRead (Performance Level in MemSet.)
    Does "auto" includes Performance Enhance turbo?
    See that BIOS doesn't overvolt them too much (mine does a little,) in HW Monitor.
    It is also interesting to know what your MCH Core is (target in EasyTune advanced voltage,) many people need to increase it a little for 2x2GB+.

I don't remember exactly what were my memory performance at 333FSB DDR-1066. I am going to experiment with memory at the weekend, I'll know more then.

At DDR-1066 I always use Standard as the Performance Enhance mode
    For the voltage, HWMonitor gives me 2.08V for the DDRVoltage. I'll post a screenshot tonight when i'll get back from work.

I did a lot of voltage testing, including setting the MCH voltage to 1.2V-1.4V with no success, but i had also customs timing settings so i'll give it another try with the timings on Auto from the SPD.

Its just weird that slot 1 & 3, with the exact same settings @ 1066 than with slot 2 & 4, does not work...
    I don't think the memory stick are bad, i've run memtest86+ for nealy two hours (3 pass) with no errors at 1066 in slot 2 and 4
    In slot 1 and 3, i get errors after only 20 sec...
    GA-EP45-UD3P Rev#: 1.1 - F6
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (C0) 3.0GHz @ Stock Speed
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 5-5-5-15 @ DDR-1066
    Asus GeForce EN9800GTX+ 512MB DDR3
    Antec TruePower New 650, 650W
    LG Flatron Wide 20'' @ 1680x1050

Tray MCH Core 1.2-1.26 (lower is better) with current settings, you shouldn't need to use NCH Core 1.4v.
    Could be a problem with the motherboard after all, still worth trying more MCH. No good will come if you RMA the board just to find the replacement is just the same.

Ok i think i found the right settings for slot 1 and 3!

So first think i did is set everything on Auto and change the MCH Core voltage to 1.200V. Memtest86+ = quick failure.

So i've tried at 1.050V because i've read that sometimes it works well. memtest86+ did fail but after 1 minute so it's was little bit better.

Then i tried at 1.240V, even quicker failure in memtest than with 1.200V...

So as a last test, i tried 0.950V and that did it!

3 passes with memtest86+ and a complete self-test using Prime95/Blend test without any errors!
    I'll some test overnight to be sure that everything is fine

Thank you Chike for the support, appreciate it!
    Last edited by Rambobino; 08-01-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    GA-EP45-UD3P Rev#: 1.1 - F6
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (C0) 3.0GHz @ Stock Speed
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 5-5-5-15 @ DDR-1066
    Asus GeForce EN9800GTX+ 512MB DDR3
    Antec TruePower New 650, 650W
    LG Flatron Wide 20'' @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Rambobino View Post
    So as a last test, i tried 0.950V and that did it!

3 passes with memtest86+ and a complete self-test using Prime95/Blend test without any errors!
    I'll some test overnight to be sure that everything is fine

Thank you Chike for the support, appreciate it!
    You know what? Maybe that's why I had problems with my F2-8500CL5-1GBPI LOL I'll check it one day.
    First time I see less MCH Core needed for 2x2GB.

Glad to hear your problem is solved

Thread Information