Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to choose right DDR2

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default How to choose right DDR2

Hi Tweaktown members,

Anyone who care to read my posts from time to time may notice my repeted mantra about my belief that 1:3 FSB:DDR rates is the one
    that will have the best results, and it is worth do run at lower DDR rates if the stable settings are easier to achive,
    without suffering performance degredation.

This was my theory, after reading many benchmarks and reviews on the internet.
    As every theory it remains just a theory and good just as any other theory unless put to the test that will support or dismiss it.

Being curious, and preferring to base what I say on facts rather than hypottheses, I made this test with 200 & 266 FSB.
    I don't claim it to be scientific.
    The benchmarks were done with XMP disabled, lowest standard timings as possible without too much tweaking, and the native mulripliers for
    both FSBs, with the lowest Static tRead Value that enabled boot.
    Prioruty was given to latency over bandwidth, but there was no sifnificant difference.
    System was not tested for stability, but was stable enough to run Windows XP and the benchmarks without any problem.

First test: 200FSB:

Moving from 2.66 multiplier to 3.33 multiplier there is 10% increase of bandwith, and 12% decrease of latency.
    Moving from 3.33 multiplier to 4 multiplier, there a neglectable increase of bandwidth, and 2.9% increase of latency.

Second test 266FSB:

Moving from 2.5 multiplier to 3 multiplier there is 10% increase of bandwidth, and 11% decrease of latency.
    Moving from 3 multiplier to 4 multiplier there is 1.5% increase of bandwidth and 3% increase of latency.

Basically it seems these results supports my theory, even if it's not exactly 1:3 SFB:DDR, but it's close enough.
    If memory performance is a concern, it seems a good rule to go by, and there is no point of chasing DDR rate for just the number, without any real benefit.
    Last edited by Chike; 08-01-2009 at 08:52 PM.

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How to choose right DDR2

check lsdmeasap.s post on latch frequencies too.. but generally cpu speed>fsb>memory speed.

When fine tuning the memory whether you can get it faster than fsb or not there might be a point in a 10-20 mhz reference range when you reach the cpu's limit that having really good fast mem on a multiplier will give you more performance.
    Otherwise it seems like its down to what your mem will work at.
    If your ddr2 will work on a multiplier with tweaked settings at the cpu stable limit great.

I mean I go (depending on test) about 9 gb/s ,having to switch cas timings on 1:1 only provides performance degredation in the first 15 or so mhz fsb. Latency yeh it varies a bit but fsb speed as in your tests at the various speeds..are you saying dont go for memspeed max?
    Last edited by kick; 08-01-2009 at 06:57 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    check lsdmeasap.s post on latch frequencies too..
    The link would have made my life easier.

kick is offline Senior Member

Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thread Information