Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Q9550 @ 500FSB On EP45-UD3P...

Default Re: Q9550 @ 500FSB On EP45-UD3P...

Storm, I have read through this thread, and I see no flaw in Psycho's logic, statements, nor opinions. He has never once claimed to be an oc'ing messiah, and yet he has helped many on this forum with sound advice that has worked for many. Frankly, I trust Psycho's opinions over many on this forum. When I saw your et6 info, I was kind of surprised that you had to crank up your vtt at those levels without exploring tweaking gtl refs. I was even more surprised that it was your opinion that higher voltages did not induce greater risk than lower voltages.

I think it is great that you have achieved your q9550 oc @ 4ghz. Clearly it is working for you. However, it does not mean that it is the ideal setup, even for your gear. People are just trying to suggest that you try to tweak this gtl ref. You may even find that you can achieve the same oc if not higher with further tweaks and possibly with lower voltages. You many not want to do it, which is fine, but don't discount that they may help.

All other things being equal, higher voltages creates more heat and heat is not exactly great for electronics. So logically why not try to reduce those voltages if you can achieve the same oc? It might even help out with the longevity of your equipment. It might help out the environment. It might help out with you electric bill. Heck, with less heat, it might help out with reducing noise levels because you may not need to use as much fans to contain those heat levels. There are so many advantages of reducing voltages, but it just takes some time and the inclination to want to at least try by tweaking those bios settings. The UD3P is not exactly an easy board to use but when the bios settings are tweaked properly, it can be an absolutely wonderful oc'ing board. And yes, it may take time with the "battery of test" which some may not want to do, but there are ways to do to help reduce the time.

To each their own. You have your settings and is adamant that they are the best for your setup. That is fine. All the power to you. But did you even try tweaking those gtl ref before discounting them or do you even want to?

Regardless, all the best to you.
    1) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @445x9@1.2625v bios, TRUE 120, Scythe UltraKaze 44cfm, 4x2gb GSkill 8500, Visiontek 3870, Corsair TX850, Antec 900, Win7-64 Home.
    2) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @500x8.5@1.2875v bios, TRUE 120, Schythe UltraKaze 44 cfm, 4x2gb Buffalo FireStyx 8500, XFX 5770, Corsair AX850, CM Scout, WinXP Pro/Win 7-64 Home.
    3) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (rev 1.0, bios F5) i5 750 @190x20@1.30625v bios, CM Hyper 212+, 4x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1600, 7900GS, Corsair TX750, CM Scout, Win7 Pro-64.
    4) Asus P8Z68-V Pro (bios 0801), i5-2500K @44x100@1.248v cpuz, Megahalem rev.B, 4x4gb GSkill Sniper 1600, Corsair AX850, Antec 902, Corsair Performance 3 128GB, Win7-64 Home.

The meter I was using was leant to me by my brother, who borrowed it from his university, so I'm unable to test again.

I did find that VTT drooped under load a little bit, and at the higher VTT (1.6844) would oscillate quite quickly between a lower voltage and a higher one (still below the original reading, I think ~ 1.672 ish and 1.681 ish). As PLL is only set to 1.57, I didn't test this, as even if it went as high as 1.61, that'd be OK to me. It would be interesting to have seen what MCH core was at, but again, it's only 1.24V for 411 FSB, so I wasn't concerned. I've been lucky with MCH core, only needing 1.28V for 486 FSB.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Connors what more can you be told other than you agree with Psycho..GOOD FOR YOU..

You took some time clipping all those quotes which tells me your as frustrated as your buddy(I bring it up like you said I would cause the truth bothers you)..Once again deal with it..

You can upload any image you desire ET6 shows my system I have no reason to lie..My posting of my settings was posted before this turned into a group assault on one persons findings..

I can honestly say this proves my point even more on how frustrated you both are that someone disagrees with what you feel is the CORRECT way to overclock (the truth is why make a post unless you are!! everyone can see how insecure you are)..I really find it funny that Connors said this is his first overclock with the system he has and now you seem to have Psycho's self rightous attitude..

The political debate you have with me as a "liberal" is I'm honest in letting people know that they can run different voltages..You have no proof of being any more correct than I yet your ignorance shows through by first with insults, then by calling me a liar..

Listen the diffrence between guys like you (AKA" EGO MANIACS") and people here to help other people is that smart people listen to other ideas. You both can't mentally cause your always right in your little secluded minds..

Connors, I hope you grow more intelligent over time and realize there are LOTS of people running 500 FSB and higher with the Q9550 and this can be verified with research through the multitude of forums available on the subject..I see how now in your signature why you put" >>I'm not always wrong, but I'm never right<<............................

Psycho I see you wrote to me again and in a more reasonable listening manner on asking questions rather then providing
    insults..I didn't bother GTL REF tuning cause I'm content with where my system is..I never said you were wrong for what you believe..You could be VERY right, but realize it's no different to me as long as I reached my goal in an acceptable manner for ME and MY liking...You both will do as you want and accept what you want with your components in the same manner..

I also see you ask me if people use my settings after, me providing myself as an example are at risk for using such high voltages when I haven't checked everything..Come on by now anyone reading even half way through these posts has seen me write overclocking and overvolting is a risk..Anything over Intel or AMD specs are at RISK regardless of how much over you take it RISK is equal. We don't know if your 1.3 is any safer than my 1.56 all we know is yours is closer to stock specs meaning it SOUNDS APPEALING and under theory should last longer but a good example: Would be a smoker smoking a pack a day and a smoker smoking 3 packs a day..WHO GETS CANCER FIRST???? RISK IS EQUAL the formula is the same..Time will tell ..

For anyone reading this please understand Psycho and Connors both have there points as using to much voltage for a cpu that doesn't require it is overkill ,just relize that your in control essentially of what your system can do..I never needed to adjust anything, but voltages to make my system hit 500 FSB so why adjust more settings when my temp is acceptable to me and voltages are within my comfortable range..

It's really pointless as long as like I said before your content
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intel Q9550 (C1 Stepping) @ 4GHZ 500FSB

Thermalright Ultra 120mm & IC 7 Carat with 120mm Logisys Green LED fan.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (Rev 1.0)

8 Gigs OCZ Platinum PC-8500 (5-5-5-18)

2 Western Digital 250 gigs 16mb Cache SATA II's Raid-0 Array

Vista Ultimate 64 bit Operating System

PC Power & Cooling Silent 610 watt SLI certified
    80 PLUS

Cooler Master CM 690 (Nvidia Edition)

Case Cooling: 3 120mm Logisys Green LED fans, 2 120mm Panaflow top mounted extractors and 1 Cooler Master Silent front mounted Green LED120mm fan

EVGA GTX 260 (Stock Speed)

Sloth I see your a friend of Psycho and that's cool..You respect him that's also cool..I'm sure he's helped many people in these forums..

I see your point about tweaking to get the best settings vs. performance, however we both have opinions which are only based on what we find we are comfortable with..

He's not wrong in using his methods to achieve the overclock he wants, but either am I..I think it turned into a pissing match only cause I have a differing opinion...Do I think he's knowlegable, we all are and that means me also even though I disagree with him on that stand point and haven't posted in these forums as much..I don't like being accused of lying cause someone disagrees with my settings..I posted screenshots like the rest of the users of this forum..

Think about it like this we all contribute what we feel is the right answer then you contribute what you feel the right answer is and I immediately say your wrong..How can that be???? it's all based on what we feel is right through our own expeirence..

Sorry bro but Psycho portrayed himself as self rightous not a helping hand to me this could have been talked about differently..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

80 PLUS

Case Cooling: 3 120mm Logisys Green LED fans, 2 120mm Panaflow top mounted extractors and 1 Cooler Master Silent front mounted Green LED120mm fan

I am not an egomaniac. I just have no respect for someone that shoves excessive voltages into stuff for no reason. So you haven't even bothered tuning GTL's and you post here with your method of overclocking saying that there's equal validity to your method and a method of tuning ALL values to end up at the minimum voltages needed. Sorry, but you won't find ANYONE to agree with that. To prove that isn't my opinion why not post on another forum, where you'd be more likely to respect others thoughts and see what they have to say.

With due respect I believe I was completely justified by calling your aproarch "ham fisted" and the fact that you didn't fine tune other settings proves you HAVE just jabbed at the page down key until voltages are high enough to drag the CPU up to the realms of stability.

The fact that you seem to think that this is an acceptable way to do things scares me. I think you truely believe that. That's worrying.

Also you seem to think that your smoking analogy compares to this situation? It doesn't? Risks from smoking have been proven to be very exponential to the amount you smoke to a point where it makes no difference, fair enough. It's also been proven that the steepest change in risk occurs between comparing a 1-4 cig a day smokeing group to a group that doesn't smoke. It does not say in the studies I've read that there is EQUAL risk between 1-4 a day and 40 a day, infact the trend graphs for instances of SRD (Smoking Related Disease) continues to rise as more is smoked, just at a much, much lower rate. Sorry but stating absurd things like this is not doing you any favours in the slightest.. It's all about statistics. A frequent flier is more likely to be in a plane crash than someone who rarely flies purely because he's exposed to the risk factor (ie flying) more often. Your inability to grasp the concept of risk no longer frustrates me, it worries me, because now I can see you actually believe what you're saying. It's simply obsurd. Risk is not equal when you increase the factor causing the risk.

I'll repeat the third time for clarity. If you're comfortable with those voltages then fine. I would ask you however out of common sense not to recommend anyone else try doing what you have done by ignoring a crucial couple of settings in the overclocking process. As of right now, if you had been bothered to put the work in (couple of hours + maybe 2 over night OCCT runs), you could be either running the same over clock, or as you're comfortable with such high a VTT, an even higher one. I'd say that VTT would be enough to cary the CPU to ~ 4.2GHz+ at a guess, and that's exactly what OCing is, a guess until you either confirm or deny it's stability with testing.

Be happy with your settings by all means, but don't tout it as a great way to overclock that everyone should try.

While not the ideal source, try some light reading here: Risk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may come to realise exactly what risk means, and the factors that effect risk to increase/decrease it.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Told ya so a liberal will avoid answering questions and either change the subject or attack the person. Which did he do?
    Now page 2
    Quote Originally Posted by by storm2313
    I don't understand why everytime someone posts voltages someone trys to tell that person they are using to much..What is your knowledge behind your standings?
    Please share with us how you gained your knowledge of properly settings voltages, and links to information.
    Intel really doesn't want us overclocking to begin with, and when you look at it from a logical stand point it's due to money why buy a $350 cpu when you can get the performance from a $200 one..
    Is this statement pure speculation or please provide us with a link to your source of information.
    What you feel comfortable with your system is fine I won't argue what is actually your opinion. The only problem I find is when explaining to others on the proper voltages to use it seems a little odd no one has sufficient proof of anything other then what works for them... The reason behind this is because it's based on yours and everyone elses knowledge from what your comfortable with one person says one thing one another which shows nothing more than we agree to disagree..
    Would you mind providing sources for your information besides your opinion? Such as how you go about explaining to others on proper voltages to use. What material do you use to base your opinion of proper voltages on. Also provide us with link to your proper voltages information. One more thing would you explain how you reached you opinion on your reasoning behind it.
    I'm sure your a very competant person with your system and feel your beliefs are correct, but don't be closed minded to what we are actually doing..There really isn't anything safe about playing with fire..Overclocking is a risk and voids your warranty regardless of what you feel is safe.
    Is this speculation on your part?
    This doesn't mean if you run lower voltages than mine your at less of a risk, it simply means your comfortable running with those settings..
    Think about it Intel and AMD say running a cpu overclocked voids your warranty and it doesn't specify if you run cpu voltage core at 1.3 and I run mine at 1.4..They both can induce damage according to them it's a risk we take as enthusiasts..
    Could you provide us with information on how you came to the above conclusion? Please provide links to back up your answer.
    I think my point is pretty clear and I hope you see it cause the more research you do on this and any forum on the topic you will find it's the truth..
    Are you just assuming your point is clear because you say you have done research on the topic? If so please provide us with links you use to make your point “pretty clear”
    Listen I apologize for you feeling I'm jumping on you I'm not.
    I feel you have been told and convinced somewhere that the settings you have are safe to use, and that's great, however I have my own beliefs and the true test to both our opinions is what our sytems are doing..
    Can you tell me why you feel I have been “convinced” my settings are safe? Is it because it doesn’t go with your pslophy of how you overclock? Also please share with us how you gained your “beliefs and the true test”. Links please.
    We as enthusiasts need to realize who we effect when we write posts on settings cause for novices reading them they can get the wrong idea of what might work for them..Your voltages are fine for you, but mine are fine for me..
    Is this not exactly what you’re doing? Also please point “novices” such as myself to posts links that back up your opinion.
    Safety in this hobby is marginal at best...Truthfully I don't believe anyone should overclock with stock cooling, or mess around over stock settings till they understand the risks involved..
    Would you mind sharing with us links that discuss “safety in this hobby is marginal”? Or is this just spectilitave opinion? Also point us to links the links where you formed your opinion of overclocking with stock cooling and messing with stock settings ubtil they under stand the risks. Oh and if you would be so kind as to share with us links to “understand risks involved”?
    As far as the software for temps and voltages what I have come to realize over the years are they are provided as a baseline reference not gospel..One program gives one reading one another..
    Is this statement subjective to your experience? Would you please provide links that made you realize over the years they are just a baseline? Please expand on baseline not gospel and how you came to your opinion.
    Put a setting in an get your reading if your comfortable with it then move on to more stability testing. The truth is once again it boils down to opinion one person says that's hot one person says that's great..
    Would you mind sharing with us about your opinion of stability and temperatures and how you arrived at it? Also would you compare your hot temp ok for one not the other to Intel Specs?
    I find that todays motherboards are exceptional on protection from heat especially when you can set a warning temp in the bios (Under power management on EP45-UD3P) you can even set it up so the cpu throttles back to help protect from heat issues...these are all there to help protect us and the manufacturer from endless RMA's or worse a lawsuit for fires..
    Would you please share with us how you formed this opinion? Are you a Lawyer for Intel? Provide links please.

Let me explain something and make a simple point first of all you clipping quotes from my post, and not putting in the entire context to what I'm talking about is unfair..
    Would you mind expanding on why you feel it’s unfair and provide and links you used to form you opinion on quote editing?

I wanted to show Intel and AMD are manufacturing cpus to make money..Overclocking kills profit margins by letting consumers more or less steal the other cpu through it's same performance..Why would Intel or an affiliate of Intel say anything other than using higher than required voltage kills the cpu..Most of the knowledge we read are from reviewers of components in forums who are linked to these manufacturers supporting them in one way or another..Common sense..Bottom line scare tactics work..
    Let's say 8 months after you running your voltages at what you consider safe (your voltages are safer than mine according to you) the cpu fails and you try to RMA it with Itel. They tell you, they feel your failure is due to overclocking and running higher voltages than required. You can't say I was running higher, but not much..they will LOL..

The point is it's a risk REGARDLESS of how high over your voltage is.. Not that your settings lower means less risk it's a risk.. Contact Intel and ask their opinion..

Do you think they will replace the cpu cause your voltages were lower than mine????

Please think about what I'm writing it's the truth and I'm sure Intel would agree..Come on
    Is this speculation on your part or do you have proof to back up your opinion?
    Last edited by Conners; 08-06-2009 at 04:19 AM.

Connors what more can you be told other than you agree with Psycho..GOOD FOR YOU..

You took some time clipping all those quotes which tells me your as frustrated as your buddy(I bring it up like you said I would cause the truth bothers you)..Once again deal with it..

You can upload any image you desire ET6 shows my system I have no reason to lie..My posting of my settings was posted before this turned into a group assault on one persons findings..

I can honestly say this proves my point even more on how frustrated you both are that someone disagrees with what you feel is the CORRECT way to overclock (the truth is why make a post unless you are!! everyone can see how insecure you are)..I really find it funny that Connors said this is his first overclock with the system he has and now you seem to have Psycho's self rightous attitude..

The political debate you have with me as a "liberal" is I'm honest in letting people know that they can run different voltages..You have no proof of being any more correct than I yet your ignorance shows through by first with insults, then by calling me a liar..

Listen the diffrence between guys like you (AKA" EGO MANIACS") and people here to help other people is that smart people listen to other ideas. You both can't mentally cause your always right in your little secluded minds..

Connors, I hope you grow more intelligent over time and realize there are LOTS of people running 500 FSB and higher with the Q9550 and this can be verified with research through the multitude of forums available on the subject..I see how now in your signature why you put" >>I'm not always wrong, but I'm never right<<............................
    Notice the deflection from the questions and then the follow up with the personal attacks? Classic example.

Now just answer the questions please...

I will say that at one time, Intel and co were highly against overclocking. They thought they could stop people by locking multipliers. People got around this sometimes by simply using a graphite pencil to change resistance and either raise the multi or completely unlock it. Motherboard manufacturers then got in on the act by not only providing a way to overclock via a changeable FSB, but also later by allowing users to set vital frequencies who don't have good tolerance for being clocked too high (AGP bus, PCI, PCIe etc.).

Intel and AMD have come to almost embrase Ocing now. Sure they still suggest limits on voltages. You can now buy CPU's with unlocked multipliers, which are much more expensive than locked CPU's (at least the Intel ones are, AMD prices are a bit more reasonable). They've also used their overclockability as an advertising point (indirectly) and played on it as a testiment to the quality of their components.

We are at a point where for Intel, the sale of a single 700 QX9770 offsets the "opportunity cost" of 2-3 people running other quads at higher speeds. I remember the days where (before integrated NIC's too) I had to search for a network card that would tolerate being clocked to ~48MHz (from 33MHz) to be able to get a working over clocked Athlon XP. Times have changed, and chip manufacturers consider OCability of their products as bragging rights.

Sorry to expand on that one little point, I just find it fascinating how things progress. That's kind of an example of people power. Things will always be bypassed, and the companies no longer care. And FYI the same voltage limits are recommended on the QX9650 (333 FSB) and the QX9779 (400 FSB), which Intel actively encorage you to overclock... for a price of course.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Psycho your quote clipping buddy and you can go about posting all day long the same crap over and over..

Deal with the fact your a self rightous person..It's what you are I don't know why your so effected by someone doing what you aren't...I guess it boils down to feeling threatned..

I like your smoking breakdown from my example..Once again he thinks his answer is the truth...Keep believing..Connors and you are a good team hopefully you can keep the people amused in these forums with your antecs long enough to keep them from doing there own research..

Connors thinks he's a politician.. I'm sure he disapproves of this message....Clip some more buddy..

The posting here has nothing to do with advice it's a gospel preached by revern Psycho and Politician Connors....

I guess being your both the know it all of overclocking everyone here can ask you how to hit 500 FSB??..

What no followers..I guess even Charles Manson had to recruit for a while
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

80 PLUS

It is precisely the point you have made in post 37 Conners, that has lead me to be somewhat more agitated compared to my usual tone. Most regrettable.

It seems that anyone who disagrees with the OP is my mate, and is bound to. Conversely anyone who posts supporting the OP will no doubt be greeted with joy and reverence.

Everyone here who has posted has a mind of their own. I don't think they're posting to support me in any way, they're posting in response to your posts. There is a lot less bias here than you seem to be seeing.

Conners for example often talks himself down. He might not have been overclocking for a huge amount of time, but he knows a lot more than he thinks. I've learned stuff from his posts that have been useful to me. If I've returned the favour to him, then that's great. However, he and anyone else I've spoken with before on this forum (and I do consider them friends, all of them) would, I hope soon put me in my place if I was being totally unreasonable, rude, obnoxious, or giving the wrong information.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information