Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: POST i7 CORE TEMPS HERE!!!

Default Re: POST i7 CORE TEMPS HERE!!!

My system consist of a Gigabyte EX58 Extreme MOBO and a Intel i7 920 w/D0 stepping. My CPU cooler is a Cooler Master V8 using the included Reo-stat to control the fan,it is at the maximum. Smart Fan is disable in BIOS. I started out Overclocking with settings found on TweakTown to get me to 4.0Ghz. My idle temps were pretty high,Mid 60's°celcius. At the stock speed of 2.66Ghz they were about 40° Celcius at idle. Well I have been using Everest Ultimate to monitor temps and speeds and was about to use Prime95 to run a bit of testing at the Overclock speed. Opened up Everest so I could monitor temps. and then opened up Prime and using the Blend settings I hit the button to start the Test and temperatures shot up to 100°celcius per core like right now! Then it Blue screened and rebooted. I immediately got back into the BIOS and went to Optimum settings and rebooted.Days later I then used some settings for 3.8Ghz. that were set-up for me by LSDmeasap and did the same process with Everest and Prime and again temps shot back up to 100°celcius again per core but did not crash this time but I immediately stopped the test. Any idea what might be going on here? Why my Temps are so high at idle and Overclocked? I did run Prime95 at the stock speed of 2.66Ghz. for about an hour and the temps then were 80°celcius but no higher. That seems still pretty high for stock speed. Also,could I have done damage to the CPU in those seconds that they were at the high Temps? Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 1st picture is 4.2Ghz displayed by Everest and 2nd is Temps at that same speed using Everest. Both snapshots were taken at idle.

Last edited by kenestra1; 09-08-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenestra1 View Post
    Any idea what might be going on here? Why my Temps are so high at idle and Overclocked? I did run Prime95 at the stock speed of 2.66Ghz. for about an hour and the temps then were 80°celcius but no higher. That seems still pretty high for stock speed.
    Just my humble opinion
    4.00ghz on air is pushing it unless you have a "very good cooler". Far safer for 24/7 use up to around 3.8 or so and you where running at 4.2.
    Anything over 4.00ghz personally i would use water cooling as air cant keep up, even then there are the cheaper water cool kits that are no better than the best air coolers, so research is needed to find water coolin components that work well.

Dont be concerned about idle temps too much , the temp sensors on the cores are not accurate at idle, they are designed to work at higher temps. Real Temp has a test on it that can show up any sticking sensors at low temps (prime 95 is needed for this).
    Its full load temps that should be the ones to monitor.

Also keep in mind that you can never cool below your ambiant/room temp unless your cooling with dry-ice or LN2 , most who post there temps dont show there room temp so you have no idea if there sitting in a lab thats at -12c in antartica saying " i get 56c on stock fan at full load prime on my I7" , or somone near the equator where there room temp is 40c+ and he posts "man i got high temps at prime full load 92c"
    Last edited by Ickk; 09-08-2009 at 02:32 PM.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD4P rev 1.0
    Intel I7 920 C0/C1 step batch 3838B034
    Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1336
    Corsair TX650 psu
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
    2x WD Caviar Black 500gb Raid 0
    Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
    Vista 64

Could I have done damage though to the i7?

Quote Originally Posted by kenestra1 View Post
    Could I have done damage though to the i7?
    take a look at Uncleweb's post in this thread here http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/post...tml#post317301

No ..these chips look after themselves, the I7 will throttle back when it hits about 95c-100c , and shut down if the temps keep climbing even though its throttling , so you dont have to worry.

Make sure this setting is on in the bios. (Mabey a gigabyte rep can confirm if this setting disables the cpu throttling is set to disabled ?)

Advanced CPU Features:

CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
    Last edited by Ickk; 09-09-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD4P rev 1.0
    Intel I7 920 C0/C1 step batch 3838B034
    Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1336
    Corsair TX650 psu
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
    2x WD Caviar Black 500gb Raid 0
    Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
    Vista 64

Yea those temps look very high Kenestra. High enough to reseat the heatsink. What method did you use to apply the thermal paste and what kind did you use?

With HT on i get about 75c under load @ 3.8ghz, 66c w/ HT OFF . Idles in the high 30's- low 40's.

I did not realize myself how much of a difference ambient temps make til we got some 50f nites over here in Michigan. I actually have different saved BIOS profiles for when its colder out, things seem to overclock friendlier.

With Outside temps at nite around 50f , my cpu cores have got as low as 32c @ 3.675ghz. The next day its 90f outside and im lookin at 42c idle.
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

I think kenestra1 needs to reseat that heatsink and then come back and tell us what temperatures he is getting. What TIM are you using? I would recommend IC7 or maybe MX-3. No matter what TIM - those 62C should not be the case when idle with that little voltage on Vcore and that heatsink.

Perhaps you have mounted it incorrectly and/or not getting proper contact between the processor and the heatsink.

I can do 4.4 GHz on air with my i7 920 C0 - just needs a lot of voltage. I have posted temps earlier in this thread.

Try reaseating the heatsink.

Poul

I really wanna see how this goes with the reseat....
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Not really looking forward to reseating this(its a bear) but I feel I owe it to you guys now! I really appreciate the feedback. The ambient temp in my computer room was pretty warm at 75°F the other day. The 62°celcius came when I ran Prime95 at stock speed. I will get back to you soon. The 100°celcius came when I was overclocked once at 3.8Ghz(Ishut it down myself when I saw the temp using Everest) and again at 4.2Ghz.(which I had only planned on going to 4.0Ghz) at that point I got the BSOD and it rebooted itself. Both times I tried to run Prime95. Thermal Paste used was Artic Silver. I use a friends method and use just a small bead in the center and spead out evenly on the CPU leaving a transparent layer. Supposedly I should still be able to see the surface of the CPU thru the thin layer.
    Last edited by kenestra1; 09-10-2009 at 05:15 AM.

Hey Kenestra1

OK wait with the reaseat and let us see temps again.

Post a picture of the idle temps 3 min after you opend windows and it has settled down. For comparision reasons set the BCLK to 133 and the Vcore to normal. You could enable HT if you want but you really never need to use that unless you do some everyday work where it is useful.

Then post another one running prime95 after maybe 10 min. BCLK could be 200 and Vcore lets say 1.38 in BIOS. Turbo on.

Then I will post pictures of mine with the same settings using MX-2 and another with some IC7 I just bought today. Tell us what the ambient temperature is of course when you did this.

Poul

My system at idle. Everything working fine, other than the VCore glitch i talked about in this thread http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/over...58-ud4p-34208/

i7 920 D0
    Gigabyte UD4P Bios F9c

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information