Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: POST i7 CORE TEMPS HERE!!!

Default Re: POST i7 CORE TEMPS HERE!!!

I recently installed a new heatsink a Noctua NH-UI2P SE1366
    with 2 x NF-P12 fans in push-pull, and Noctura NT-H1 (TIM), Ambient Temp: 22c

As i had some time on my hands today , i decided to test the method of applying the TIM (heatsink compound), to find which will give me the best results.

Method 1: When i first installed it i used the Small blob in the centre position. The size i squirted out was about a 4mm blob.
    I reset the i7 back to optimized defaults with Turbo, HT, EIST and C1 enabled. Started up Realtemp and let it idle for 10 min, noted the temp and shutdown.
    Then i removed the heatsink to check the spread pattern off the compound.The i7 is a large square shape and and even though the blob in the middle i used was small.
    The spread pattern showed a good spread out to the edges of the cpu heatsink.

Method 2: Cleaned the heatsink and cpu. Now i tried spreading the compound very thin on the base of the heatsink using a credit card , this proved tricky as the Noctua TIM is quite thick.
    Ran at idle for 10 mins and noted the temp. On removal the spread pattern clearly showed that parts had not been in contact. On too method 3.

It was after wiping off the compound again, i noticed the base of the Noctua and the i7 heatsink itself where marked in the 4 corners by the pressure applied.
    This was contact pressure ..so i knew now that one or the other was not flat , and the centre of the cpu was not getting contact with the heatsink, as it was only touching in the 4 corners.

Method 3, this time i used no compound just wiped both clean and seated the heatsink attached fans. Ran at idle for 10 mins , noted the temp.

Method 4: 2 small lines. This time i applied 2 small lines on the cpu heatsink. Installed the Noctua again , ran at idle for 10 mins and noted temp.

Results of tests.

Method 1: Small Blob = 36c

Method 2: Spread Thin = 45c

Method 3 : No TIM = 52c

Method 4 : 2 Small Lines = 34c

With the 2 small lines method that i'm using now. At default i7 settings, Prime95 running In_place Large FFT's after 10 mins temps max out at 61c.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD4P rev 1.0
    Intel I7 920 C0/C1 step batch 3838B034
    Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1336
    Corsair TX650 psu
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
    2x WD Caviar Black 500gb Raid 0
    Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
    Vista 64

What exactly do you mean by "2 small lines"? Maybe a drawing? And what about the 4 corner contact you were getting? Thanks

Hi , take a look at this site is shows the pictures of the 2 small lines method

80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test | Thermal Interface Material,Thermal Paste,Heatsink Compound,80-Way Thermal Interface Material Best Thermal Paste Heatsink Compound Cooling Performance Comparison Benchmark Tests | Benchmark Reviews

The 4 corner contact i have .. just means that my i7 is not flat it dips in the centre ,so my heatsink can not touch the i7 centre only at the corners (Lapping is the way to improve this). This is why we have TIM (compound)
    to fill in the holes and make contact over the whole area (hopefully *grin).
    Corsair TX650 psu
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
    Vista 64

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hey all

I use the blob method and TIM IC7 and this picture is when running Prime95 on normal Vcore settings and 133 BClk with HT on. Ambient temperature was about 20C. I will try that two line method to see if that gives me lower temperatures. I think perhaps it does, because I have a hard time making the TIM spread evenly and reach all the corners of the processorer without applying too much TIM. I always let it run for some hours on 100% load when first applied to help that.

My temperatures I think are quite good on air. I use a Thermalright IFX-14 heatsink with three fans attached - so the airflow is pretty high.

Poul

I think those temps are damnnn good Poul.

I ran a stock speed test with HT ON the other night ,after i installed my f8d bios, idles around 35 , loads at 55. I have tons of screens that will be going up in a few days, just have a few more tests to run...

Then im gonna do a reseat and run some more tests , see if we get any lower...
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Well I reseated the Cooler Master V8 to my Intel i7 tonight but I could kick myself for not taking a picture of the weird contact patch I had when I pulled it off. The cooler itself looked like it was only making contact on the outer edges of the CPU. The Artic Silver I used looked like it was untouched toward the center on the i7 CPU. Like maybe one of the two was concave-like. I ran Prime95 at Default or Optimum settings and it still ran at about 62°celcius.
    Should I RMA the sucker? Maybe pick up a Thermalright? Noctua?

Quote Originally Posted by kenestra1 View Post
    The Artic Silver I used looked like it was untouched toward the center on the i7 CPU. Like maybe one of the two was concave-like.
    you just need to use more compound ... i have the same problem my cpu is not flat it concaves towards the centre. Its a good idea to apply the compound with whichever method you prefer .. then remove the heatsink and make sure its made contact all over. then wipe clean and try to apply the same amount again.
    Corsair TX650 psu
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
    Vista 64

Will do. Thanks Ickk!

Why not just lap that heatsink? It is the best way to ensure you have a proper contact between heatsink and CPU.

It really is a piece of cake to lap it - just takes some time because it is a slow proces.

I tried the other day to use too much IC 7 TIm and that raised my temperatures with 2-3 C - if not more. I could not understand that I had used too much because the first time the TIM was not getting out to the edges of the CPU - despite I had it running 100% load for some hours, but I reseated and used a smaller amount and that sure proved to be a better solution. I have reseated this IFX-14 heatsink several times using Chilifactor2, MX-2 and now IC 7.

And my heatsink is lapped.

Poul

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information