Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: POST i7 CORE TEMPS HERE!!!

Default Re: POST i7 CORE TEMPS HERE!!!

When applying the TIM are you guys applying to the heatsink or the CPU? I applied mine to the CPU surface. Used a plastic bag tightly wrapped around my finder and put a small blob about the size of a BB and spread the TIM to lightly cover entire area. Also, when using the Blob method as described above or the 2-line method are you speading the TIM out over the surface using a credit card or something or are you just letting the pressure between the 2 surfaces and heat do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grnkjr0 View Post
    Why not just lap that heatsink? It is the best way to ensure you have a proper contact between heatsink and CPU.
    I am considering lapping mine for sure ... i have to use more TIM than is reccomended as my heatsink only touches in the 4 corners of my cpu.
    The touch marks are clearly visible when you take the heatsink off and wipe it clean , you see the contact marks as shiny small scratches (same on the cpu).
    Unfortunately i dont have a digital camera (the camera on my mobile is useless) or i would show you.

i'll check out the price of a lap kit , or just buy some wet'n'dry paper and try it myself ( not sure how i'll hold the cpu if i try DIY )
    I'll let you know how i get on when i lap it.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD4P rev 1.0
    Intel I7 920 C0/C1 step batch 3838B034
    Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1336
    Corsair TX650 psu
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
    2x WD Caviar Black 500gb Raid 0
    Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
    Vista 64

Quote Originally Posted by kenestra1 View Post
    When applying the TIM are you guys applying to the heatsink or the CPU? I applied mine to the CPU surface. Used a plastic bag tightly wrapped around my finder and put a small blob about the size of a BB and spread the TIM to lightly cover entire area. Also, when using the Blob method as described above or the 2-line method are you speading the TIM out over the surface using a credit card or something or are you just letting the pressure between the 2 surfaces and heat do that?

It dosnt really matter which you apply the TIM too one or the other will do.

If you Blob'n dont spread it ,blob and drop the heatsink down on the cpu
    same as 2 small lines , dont spread it. as you say let the pressure and heat do the rest.
    Corsair TX650 psu
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
    Vista 64

Good stuff here! Thanks again.

EX58-Extreme here and 920 D0 on water
    i7 3930k, x79-UD5
    32GB (Corsair Dominator Platinum + Patriot XD2 )
    Asus GTX 670 OC DCUII

Enermax 950W Revo., X-FI

SS TJ07, LC (EK Supreme HF/NI, MCP655 + EK, RX480, other stuff)

Wow! Thats what I'am talking about!!! Well done. I had hoped to achieve even close to that but getting a little discouraged with my setup now that I cant get the temps to settle down so that I can overclock even to 3.8Ghz. That is why I got into this! I guess I just must have a misfit i7. I would have thought that making them flat would have been a priority! I guess not.

Hey

4.4 GHz on air

It is not stable enough for running Prime95 but for gaming it works fine. It is just a matter of how good a chip you have and then you need a lot of air. I have a IFX-14 heatsink - that one kick real good.

Poul
    Last edited by Grnkjr0; 09-14-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickk View Post
    I recently installed a new heatsink a Noctua NH-UI2P SE1366
    with 2 x NF-P12 fans in push-pull, and Noctura NT-H1 (TIM), Ambient Temp: 22c

As i had some time on my hands today , i decided to test the method of applying the TIM (heatsink compound), to find which will give me the best results.

Method 1: When i first installed it i used the Small blob in the centre position. The size i squirted out was about a 4mm blob.
    I reset the i7 back to optimized defaults with Turbo, HT, EIST and C1 enabled. Started up Realtemp and let it idle for 10 min, noted the temp and shutdown.
    Then i removed the heatsink to check the spread pattern off the compound.The i7 is a large square shape and and even though the blob in the middle i used was small.
    The spread pattern showed a good spread out to the edges of the cpu heatsink.

Method 2: Cleaned the heatsink and cpu. Now i tried spreading the compound very thin on the base of the heatsink using a credit card , this proved tricky as the Noctua TIM is quite thick.
    Ran at idle for 10 mins and noted the temp. On removal the spread pattern clearly showed that parts had not been in contact. On too method 3.

It was after wiping off the compound again, i noticed the base of the Noctua and the i7 heatsink itself where marked in the 4 corners by the pressure applied.
    This was contact pressure ..so i knew now that one or the other was not flat , and the centre of the cpu was not getting contact with the heatsink, as it was only touching in the 4 corners.

Method 3, this time i used no compound just wiped both clean and seated the heatsink attached fans. Ran at idle for 10 mins , noted the temp.

Method 4: 2 small lines. This time i applied 2 small lines on the cpu heatsink. Installed the Noctua again , ran at idle for 10 mins and noted temp.

Results of tests.

Method 1: Small Blob = 36c

Method 2: Spread Thin = 45c

Method 3 : No TIM = 52c

Method 4 : 2 Small Lines = 34c

With the 2 small lines method that i'm using now. At default i7 settings, Prime95 running In_place Large FFT's after 10 mins temps max out at 61c.
    Thats a real sweet comparison Ickk. I used the spread thin method on my machine as well as my brothers, after loading fail safe defaults i idle at 34. It looks like you made big improvement using the 2 line method. I will definitely give that a try on my noctua.

My brothers temps are nearly identical to mine using all the same hardware/software.

I will try all the major methods when i get a few free hours to see what kind of pattern the TIM leaves after securing the Heatsink.

I have only seated the noctua twice total and the stock intel twice total. We'll see how this goes.
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by dbee View Post
    It looks like you made big improvement using the 2 line method. I will definitely give that a try on my noctua.
    This is probably because my i7 chip is not very flat, they are all different ,you might have much flatter chips that only need small amounts of TIM.

I had a DOH! moment yesterday i pulled my i7 out to check it before i decide to lap it or not, on reseating the heatsink i ran out of TIM, nothting came out the tube, after all the testing i had done, i had used it up .

I remembered i had some old arctic silver 3 around somwhere ,and after an hour of searching i found it PHEW!!! . Here is the temps on A/silver3 at 4.2ghz idle

Corsair TX650 psu
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
    Vista 64

Ickk, your temps are driving me nuts! 4.2ghz @ 58c ?!?! On a C0 ?!?! WITH AIR! Dude, i would appreciate it greatly, and i do mean greatly of you could post me a BIOS template with ALL your current settings. Yea i know it may be a bit of a hassle, but dude - i cant run 4.2 ghz period. I really need to see what tweaks you got going on the bios i may have overlooked that could give me some more room. Best i can do here temp/voltage/speed wise is 3.8ghz HT ON @ 72c.

I know for a fact a reseat wont get me where u r. Another thing, Run us a 15 minute Prime test cuz it looks like that 58c was only 1 second under load or perhaps a 50 % load i.e. opening a few programs .
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit