Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: POST i7 CORE TEMPS HERE!!!

Default Re: POST i7 CORE TEMPS HERE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    When I compare your temps to peter's from the previous page they look fine. He is using a significantly more powerfull fan with 3k RPM and 38mm depth versus your two Noctuas. So just below 70 for him and mid 70s for you makes sense.

You can try reseating your Noctua, but I doubt it will provide much of a gain ( I would still try anyway^^). That's also one of the reasons I really like the Noctua cooler, the mounting sytem makes it one of the easiest coolers to reseat.
    Reseating is very important if you want the best cooling performance. You should always do several installs of a cooler if you really care about temps and note down your temps for each mount. That way you can be sure that your cooler is properly mounted.
    Peter also described that his temps went down by 10C after he remounted the cooler with less thermal paste. He thought this was due to the thinner layer of thermal paste, but that doesn't provide that much of a gain in my experience. I'm positive that his heatsink just wasn't making contact properly with his CPU.
    I think you're right about the heatsink not making good contact, it took three attempts at remounting the heatsink using a little less AS5 each time before I got drastic temperature improvements. True's are notorious for having uneven bases, I guess that's why lapping is so popular with them. I wont be remounting it anytime soon that's for sure.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the quality of TRUE bases, I have two TRUEs here and they're both "warped" differently. I'm planning on testing them both unlapped then lapping one and seeing by how much it improves performance. It's been "claimed" in many forums that lapping it provides a very noticeable boost, but I've never seen hard data on it and I'd like to try it out.
    I'll also try using some washers to increase mounting pressure and see if that improves performance.
    I'm also getting a Prolimatech and a Cogage True Spirit in a few days, along with my Noctua this should make for a nice roundup.
    I'm planning to do at least three mounts per cooler, which should be a lot of work. Don't expect the results anytime soon though, I'm incredibly lazy

The results should be interesting because almost every comparison I've seen on the net has had different results.
    As far as lapping my TRUE, I paid $70 for it at Microcenter and I can't afford to f#$% it up right now. I've never lapped anything before and it makes me nervous, that and I'm content with my temps for now. I will consider lapping In the future if I choose to OC higher than 4GHz.
    I seem to have hit a wall at 4GHz, I tried 4.1GHz and upped the CPU voltage to 1.4v and it BSOD's in less than a minute of Prime95. 3.8GHz with 1.25v is no problem, 4.0 requires 1.35v, but 4.1 requires more voltage than I feel comfortable with. Maybe with a lapped TRUE the temp reduction will let me hit 4.1-4.2GHz with 1.375-1.4v.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Anyone looking for a TRUE ata good price should shop here, great service and quick shipping. Ohh yea, and good prices as well >>>

Note this is not Spam, while Gary is a great guy I am just trying to help as $70 seems like alot for a TRUE picked up locally

$85 for the Copper one and only $53 for the normal TRUE ($62 for the Black)
    CPU Coolers for Intel® Core™ i7 (Socket 1366), Intel® Pentium® 4 (Socket 478 / 775) and Intel® Xeon™ (Socket 603, 604, 771) Processors

Quote Originally Posted by peter89 View Post
    The results should be interesting because almost every comparison I've seen on the net has had different results.
    That's exactly why I'm doing it. I'm using watercooling myself and in recent times some great reviewers have started doing reviews with multiple mounts and accurate air temp measurements which largely agree with each other. I'm hoping to do some air cooling tests of the same quality.
    Right now you can find reviews claiming that the Prolimatech beats the TRUE, while other reviews claim it's exactly the other way around. While this may be due to the varying base "quality" of the TRUE, I think it's mostly due to inaccurate measurement of the ambient/air-in temp and bad mounts (almost no air cooling reviewer shows data for more than one mount or even says that he does more than one which leads me to believe that they do just one thus causing the discrepancies).

And concerning fans, I stumbled upon a nice round-up at X-bit labs this morning, I missed that when it first came out:
    Be Cool: Ultimate 120/140 mm Fans Roundup - X-bit labs
    It's missing some fans like the Slipstream but it's very nicely done in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by markhaunch View Post
    Heres mine
    i7 920 D0
    speed 4515 21 x 215
    Cpu @ 1.38
    QPI/VVt @ 1.385
    Dram 1.66
    Sorry did not stae temps
    idle 41 to 43 and load 69 -71

Have built system fo a friend with my old C0 920
    with a Nocya 1366 cooler @ 20 x 191 = 3820
    volts cpu 1.35 qpi 1.3
    temps 45 - 47 idle to 74 -77 load
    not too bad but shows watercooling really works for the i7 @ hig overclocks
    gigabyte x58 UD5
    17 920 @ 21 x 215 4515
    HT Off D0 stepping
    WD 750 Gig Black HD
    6 Gig OZC Platium 1866 mem @1720
    HD4870 512
    Xi fi extreme music
    Watercooled cpu & Graphic card

hey peter, i thought i was the only detroiter here!! yeah sunday and monday i've been doing my temp testing using various case/Heat sink fan mount configs while its been in the 90's outside, indoors ambient is about 75. I will post screens later of what happened. I took the scythe out the side door which was causing much noise coming through the grill as well as the one up front . MUCH quiter now. ALOT. I mounted those on the noctua and used the noctua fan on the side door to replace the scythe, a noctua in the rear exhaust, and put the stock LED coolermaster fan back up front. Until i post the screens, my temps dropped a good 5 overall . AND everything is much quieter.
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

These are my temperatures with 100% load running Prime95. I have a i7 920 C0 and a X-58 Ud4P motherboard in an Antec 1200 case with lots of fans running.

To anyone who is thinking about buying a new heatsink I can highly recommend the Thermalright IFX-14 CPU cooler. Mine is equipped with one Scythe Ultra Kaze running 3000 rpm and a Scythe Flex 1600 rpm (I think but can not even remember anymore) - facing upwards towards the bigboy fan outlet in the top of the case in a push/pull configuration. I have another Scythe Ultra Kaze as well but I have not yet bought something to control its rpm and running 3000 all the time was a bit too loud.

My temperatures are quite low considering a voltage of 1.38 (+ something) in BIOS, which gives me 1.376 when reading CPU-Z and Everest and this high an overclock. Mind you these temperatures were without the side window in the case, but that does not matter much, because normally I have a fan mounted on the side window blowing cold air towards the push Scythe Ultra Kaze fan.

I took a picture of the Antec 1200 and from running prime95.

Poul

Picture of BCLK 201 and 1.376 voltage - ambient temperature around 21-22 C.

I know the picture is big but easier to read that way.

wow poul, 4.22 with that voltage at 64 degrees is crazy , props to you very well done. See, this is what im talkin bout... i have some serious work to do. everyone else feel free to post some screens
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit