Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-UD3P Won't Boot from CD

Default EP45-UD3P Won't Boot from CD

Hello all,

Just as a background; I just recently replaced the motherboard and dead PSU in this unit from some MSI piece of crap to a EP45-UD3P. When I turn on the system, it naturally tries to boot from the IDE HDD I have in there with Mandriva Installed. Since the system was not originally mine, and I have no Idea how to use Mandriva, I wish to reformat and replace it with my OEM copy of vista.

Anyway, getting to the problem. When I hit F12 to go to the boot menu (this doesnt even work every time since half of the time it ignores my keystroke and jumps to the regular boot sequence) I can't do anything once I get there. I can't scroll up and down nor can I quit or even attempt to boot from floppy (the command that is highlighted initially).

Figuring this may be an error with my keyboard, I shut the computer off and went into the bios settings to change the boot order manually. I changed the order to CD first, then HDD, then CD again. now, after the intro screen and listing of connections, it attempts to boot from CD, as I hear the CD drive begin to spin. It then displays "Press any key to boot from CD", as I do, however ellipses appear for about 5-6 seconds before it fails and begins booting mandriva.

Is this a problem with the motherboard, my keyboard, optical drive or anything else? Any Help Would be appreciated!!

Default Re: EP45-UD3P Won't Boot from CD

Are you using a USB keyboard? Do you have a PS2 keyboard to try?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

yes I am using a usb keyboard and I do not have a PS/2 one to try. Would a USB to PS/2 adapter make any difference cause I can borrow one of those from a friend.

Also, I now have noticed another issue;

When I return to the advanced BIOS features, Every option is now blued out except for "hard disk boot priority" which allows me to press enter to access the submenu, but not do anything while there. When I accessed this menu on my first try all of these menu options were atleast selectable if not modifiable, but now I cannot even select them.

any thoughts?

Humm thats strange... Can you reset your comos and try to set your boot order to cd rom 1st?

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

try loading optimized defaults save and exit bios. renter bios turn on usb keyboard and usb mouse options on these are off by default ( who uses PS/2 any more? ). and also try changing the boot order to cdrom before hdd.
    Last edited by Acebmxer; 08-06-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

I loaded the optimized defaults and then saved, only to back in the same problem I was having (unable to access any advanced BIOS options due to them being all blued out) except now the Boot order is floopy, HDD, CD.

Thanks for nothing Acebmxer. btw, read my post, I DID change the boot order to CD before HDD.

I am not currently in the process of resetting the Cmos values, ill post if that changes anything.

Aha, Resetting the CMOS by removing the battery did the trick. Thanks Conners!

Your welcome and thanks for posting your sucess. It may help someone down the road.

Thread Information