Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Modules better than 4?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: 2 Modules better than 4?

Is this 4GB or 8GB? If 8GB you may always have a tough time and I'd advise using 800Mhz with tighter timings.

If it is 4GB then sure you can run 1066, post me your settings you are trying that fail and I will get back to you with some things to try.

Not sure why they are not replying to you yet? Even if they planned to say they wouldn't help due to overclocking or something like that I'd expect that reply already. I can say Stasio's contact at Gigabyte has not replied to him for a while and my own contact had been taking a while to get back to me as well the past few weeks until the other night. But then he said he would be gone to 31st. So Maybe they are all Coped up in the building trying to rush things around and get to much done at once for the release of P55?

Sounds like they have put lots on hold to me I can say that. Normally the channel you contacted takes 1-3 days to reply no longer and normally my contact gets back to me within a few minutes but here the past few weeks they are all quiet.

Sorry they never replied to ya, but I am sure I can help anyway

Its actually 6gb, a 4gb kit and a 2gb kit (Corsair Dominator). I can indeed run the 4gb kit (2x 2gb modules) at 1066Mhz but I haven't been able to with both the 4gb kit and the 2gb kit installed.

First of all, at 1066Mhz the memory needs 2.1v - which I have tried to give it thus far (with mixed results). I tried the various DDR2/DDR3 settings all the way to +0.6v, and it's been strange.
    Here are the results with the various BIOS's I have tried. All flashed then reset to first FailSafe settings, reboot then Optimized and rebooted before inputing these custom settings.

Attempt 1: Bios F12g
    # With the DDR2/DDR3 setting on Normal I got 1.984v in the PC Health Status reading
    # With the DDR2/DDR3 setting on [+0.1v] I got 1.824v in the PC Health Status reading
    # With the DDR2/DDR3 setting on [+0.2v] I got 1.904v in the PC Health Status reading
    # With the DDR2/DDR3 setting on [+0.3v] I got 1.984v in the PC Health Status reading
    at this point in the testing I was reluctant to go over 0.3v

With encouragement I went higher:
    F7 BIOS
    DDR2/DDR3 reading - PC Health Status
    Normal - 1.888v
    [0.1v] - 1.744
    [0.2v] - 1.888
    [0.3v] - 1.888 (not typo)
    [0.4v] - 2.016
    [0.5v] - 2.032

F12 BIOS
    DDR2/DDR3 reading - PC Health Status
    Normal - 1.968v
    [0.1v] - 1.824
    [0.2v] - 1.888
    [0.3v] - 1.968
    [0.4v] - 2.032
    [0.5v] - 2.112

So with the F12 bios I managed to give the memory the 2.1v it needed to run at 1066Mhz that its supposed to be able to. BSOD'd every time it went into Windows - sometimes as soon as before the desktop shows, sometimes after 4hrs of gaming.

Tried also pushing up the MCH voltage. Nothing really scientific here, started at +0.2v, booted got crashes etc, then tried +0.3v, booted and got plenty of crashes. After this I've pretty much given up.

Until you showed :D

Well with 6GB you may need to give a little more than 2.1, don't be scared it will be ok.

So where are you at as of now? If you need advice please give your full settings that fail and tell me how they fail.

Mismatched sets may never work stable together, as they have different IC chips on them it could be tough to find the right timings and voltages.

At the moment I have gone down to 800Mhz with everything set to auto. One exception is the MCH voltage which is currently at +0.2v. So far I've not noticed any problems.

These are the latest settings I have tried and failed at.

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.0]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4 [Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4 [Auto]
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 8 [Auto]
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 68 [Auto]
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4 [Auto]
    Static tRead Value_______________ 8 [Auto]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.500V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Auto]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Auto]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.3V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.38125v]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]
    I dont know if you have read earlier up in the thread but the PC Health values for the memory differ from both the first page BIOS setting and applications such as EasyTune6, CPUID Hardware Monitor and Speedfan.

At times, given the same [+0.5v] DDR2/DDR3 voltage setting, the value (of the DDR2/DDR3 voltage) reported in the other page of the BIOS - PC Health Status would read 2.1038 and then on a subsequent boot, 1.9ish volts.
    For example: boot up with +0.5v on the DDR2/DDR3, check PC Health Status, confirm 2.1v for the RAM, get to windows, BSOD, reboot, check BIOS - PC Health Status, find the RAM is not getting 2.1v

Forgot to mention this is with 2x2gb Corsair Dominator modules AND 2x1gb Corsair Dominator modules - both matched pairs.

Easytune shows what you set in the BIOS in the "Tuner" Tab, in the "HWMonitor" Tab it should show the actual applied voltage. You can verify this by looking in the Computer/sensor section of Everest.

Applied voltages and Set voltages almost always vary a little bit due to droop on boards, so you are likely correct in noticing a difference. This is not always true for all BIOS's, and boards, but often it is. Some BIOS's get the set amount and applied amount much closer than others.

If you are seeing large differences then you will need to adjust accordingly is all. And you will almost always see a difference between the BIOS shown amount and within windows, this is more true usually with Vcore but Vdimm it does apply to as well. This is because the droop's mentioned are not often applied until you load windows.

2x2GB and 2x1GB is not matched pairs, just saying this in case someone gets confused later about using matched pairs of ram and mixed modules. This is a mixed module discussion because the 2x2 and 2x1 sets use different IC Chips in the ram.

About your failed attempt settings you list above, can you get to windows with that? if so please post me a screen shot of Memset so I can see what Auto is giving you for all those timings.

If you cannot get to windows to do so, please try that again, using +0.1 FSB voltage and also set tRD to 9 to see if you can get it to load windows so you can give me a screen shot.

Did you try all the "4" memory multiplier options? Just wondering as you should have a few and the 333 strap one may not work for you so just wondered if you tried the others.

Ok, just now back on after a BlueScreen. What is wierd is that I had boot up with these settings:

and then, to double check the voltages and other BIOS information I did this.
    Set the computer to Hibernate (Computer powers down)
    Boot up with the switch on the front of the computer, check BIOS, exit without saving
    First time it gets into windows I get a USB error, (unplugging and replugging all USB devices seems to fix it).

I did this again, forgot some info in the BIOS, and the 2nd time I got into windows I recieved a nice bluescreen.

These are the BIOS settings anyway:

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.0~]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4 [Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4 [Auto]
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 8 [Auto]
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 68 [Auto]
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4 [Auto]
    Static tRead Value_______________ 8 [Auto]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.400V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Auto]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1v]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2v]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.28750v]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]
    I use hibernate alot (because I need to) but I suspect this is also a part of the problem.
    Last edited by kakahara; 08-17-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Your Static tRead Value setting may be too low, set this to 7-8 for now and see if that helps, if so you know 6 was too low.

Blue Screened again while I was afk, (idle in windows).

Should I leave the other figures on auto?

Crashed again - Blue Screen like the DOS one. Only browsing forums and stuff on Firefox. System was not online for more than 30 minutes, but the crash occurred at least 5 minutes after Windows came on.

Atm, I've reverted to 800Mhz and auto settings so as to post this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information