Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EX58-Extreme Memory Issues

Default Re: EX58-Extreme Memory Issues

Sorry that it took me a couple days to reply, I've been hammered with repair jobs.

Regarding Memtest86, I'm not sure but I think that at some point it was forked by the developers and the version that I'm using is V3.5 and is located here: Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic and it's release date is January 2009 while the version you linked to was released December 2008.

I believe that I am in fact using AHCI, that was the default storage controller setting when I installed Vista.

If 1600Mhz is the norm for this board and shouldn't be an issue then I won't give up on what I've got just yet.

I did upgrade to the latest version at that time which was F8i but there now appears to be an F9a so I'll download that and give it a try.

My memory has a green PCB with a black heat spreader with a sticker "Supports Intel Core i7".

Thanks,

- Norm

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, I know the info about the different Memtest brands and version releases. I still advise you use only Memtest86+ 2.11. Even though Memtest was updated in Jan compared to the other it was still not updated with the correct programming for certain boards/chipsets and CPU's and still fails to function properly on many boards.

No need to argue about it really. Just use Memtest86+, or don't take my advice. I know you may not be meaning to argue, I just have to say this so often is all. So sorry if I sound one sided on the subject, but there is only one side to my thoughts on it all because I help MANY users and customers so I know what works best for these types of things.

I do also use 3-4 instances of HCI Design's Memtest within windows, just so you know I am not particular to one for any reason I just suggest based on what I know causes the least issues and works the best in my opinion is all.

AHCI Would not have been the default in the BIOS, so if you are not sure you will need to look in the BIOS

Ya, Go ahead and get F9a BIOS.

So sounds like you have the Green PCB then, that is the one mentioned by OCZ Tech's to have an incorrect XMP Programming in it. Of course this often only matters if you use XMP, but the settings "Could" affect some settings if you use Auto Memory timings, not sure. You would need to post me a image of Memset @ 1600 before I could say for sure.

So you could either be sure this is not affecting things by letting me look at your timings at 1600, once we get you there, or now if you can. Or flash the SPD module with the newer Info, but you would need to join there and PM one of the mods that spoke in that thread or the member who posted about the issue so you could get the file you need.

Otherwise I can just advise you about the settings that may be an issue once you get going, they may be fine though in Auto anyway.

So once you flash please try things out, then post me your settings in full that are failing and I will advise back.

I'd suggest you get two BIOS Profiles going, one with 1333Mhz ram so you can use your system as that should be pretty easy to setup. And then one to work on getting going with 1520-1600mhz (if using 190-200 Blck) or just one with 1600Mhz if you are using stock Blck.

I was really just stating what I was using and why, I didn't really mean for it to be argumentative. I went back to the 2.11 version and with all three sticks in I have the test running and it's just completed one full pass with no errors, lockups or reboots. So I must assume that at the very least the rebooting and locking up with the 3.5 version was due to a bug or compatibility issue in that version with this chipset / motherboard.

While I'm glad that's settled, I must admit that it's really annoying that after weeks of correspondence with GB tech support as well as OCZ that no one up until now has mentioned that MemTest86 3.5 potentially has issues on this hardware which in turn lead me to believe that I had memory / hardware issues which in fact I do not. (and I was very specific about what version I was using in my conversations)

AHCI Would not have been the default in the BIOS, so if you are not sure you will need to look in the BIOS
    That I don't understand since I don't believe that I manually changed it from IDE or Raid to AHCI before I installed my OS.

I didn't go and read the whole thread that you pointed me to but the XMP Profile 1 as listed on the OCZ specs page for this memory says "XMP Profile 1: 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 1.65*" and when I've enabled that profile in the Intelligent Tweaker that's exactly what settings appeared. So I'm not really sure how the settings for that profile could be considered wrong?

I'm doing some testing right now and while things seem to be working I'm noticing some odd things, similar to what I've been experiencing. First after I get to the desktop, I downloaded the latest Easy Tune 6 you pointed me to and I ran the self extractor. But when I tried to open explorer to browse to and run the actual installer it seemed like the system hung and became unresponsive. I could move the mouse but when I double clicked on something like Winternals Process Explorer and tried hitting Alt-Ctr-Del nothing happened but when I left it sitting for about four minutes suddenly the system responded and I got all the programs I doubled clicked on plus the Windows security dialog responding to the Alt-Ctrl-Del.

Then when I tried running the Easy Tune installer during the installation I got the message "Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Users\Norm\AppData\Local\Temp\_is9D67\Easy Tune 6 B08.1124.1.msi"

So if this is not a memory related issue could this type of thing be a storage controller issue? A problem with the AHCI drivers?

- Norm

Sorry myself, maybe I read you wrong anyway!! I was likely super busy and just wanted you to take my advice and not ask again in the next post. I think I could have worded that much better and I apologize!

Funny to hear you say OCZ did not mention anything about this, they should know. Did they try to get you to RMA instead?

About the AHCI Comment you quoted. I meant that the default is not AHCI, so if yours says AHCI now then you had to of changed it at some time before your OS Install and just forgot.

It is XMP 2 that is incorrect on those modules, which you are not using so it may not be an issue for you anyway. I don't suggest using any XMP settings on any boards/memory actually. It should all be done manually as there is NO WAY the pre-programmed XMP profile can get your needed QPI/Vtt voltage correct for your CPU. I really think that part of XMP should not have been included in the design aspect since all CPU's vary widely in what amount they need at any given freq.

Winternals is a program, which I do not use. So sounds like it has some issues possibly?

Can you clarify what you did with the downloaded file. Did you extract it once to a folder, then inside that folder tried to run the setup.exe installer and had the error mentioned?

If so, try again and right click the file and choose run as Administrator this time.

It is a problem with the permissions on your system, you are not the Admin are you? If you are then you still may have some permissions set incorrectly or UAC is messing the install up, if you believe this is the case shut it off and reboot and try the install again

At some point OCZ did suggest that the board may be bad, however I pointed out that I had already RMA'd it and that it was tested and returned to me as being Ok.

I'll run down all my settings again since everything was set back to the defaults when I flashed with the F8a bios but if MemTest86 2.11 tests the memory good (and I let it run for more than 10 complete passes) then I can't say that I believe that it's a memory issue any longer and I'm going to have to look elsewhere for this problem.

Looking at the some of what you wrote I'm not sure that I'm clear on "tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)", I just don't understand which setting you are referring to by "Write to Read Delay/Same Rank"?

Winternals is just the name for a whole slew of utility programs written my Mark Russinovich whose company SysInternals was acquired by Microsoft in 2006. Mark is extremely productive and has written some of the best Windows utility software (which is freely available) and can be downloaded here: Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional resources The program that I was referring to is Process Explorer which is a greatly enhanced task manager like program that works on Windows 2000 and above (including x64 versions) and it's an invaluable tool for system trouble shooting. If you've never used it I suggest you take it for a spin sometime, also take a look at some of his other stuff it's really an amazing collection of useful Windows tools.

In regards to the Easy Tune download, I used FireFox to download it and then ran the self extractor and then ran the setup from the folder where it was extracted to. I have UAC turned off since I can stand all that "Do you want to do this, do you want to allow that" garbage. After I got through the first couple screens (where it asks which folder you want to install it to) and it actually beings the install, that's when I get the message.

Last night after I tried the Easy Tune install and it failed I went to shut down the system and it got hung up on shutting down and I left it like that for like six hours and finally had to do a hard power off. That's the kind of things just not working right that I'm talking about.

- Norm

tWTR can be left in Auto if you like, but if you want to know what's what about what you asked the Write to Read Delay/Same Rank setting is in the "Turnaround Settings" pages of the advanced memory timings page.

Here is the setting >>>

Ahh, yes now that you mention it in full I have heard of and used winternals task manager before so I know what you mean now.

Easytune new version posted today, please try this one. And be sure to uninstall your older version if you did get one installed. Check for and delete the Easytune folder in Program files/Gigabyte as well >>
    Version B09.0818.1
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Utility

About your comments, are you using a different drive than C for programs? I ask because you mentioned choosing where to install and then the error. It should not even ask you where to install, so maybe this is what is causing the issues possibly? I mean that is if you are using a different drive then C?

OS hang on shutdown can be MANY things such as Memory errors or often drivers or programs failing to respond to the shutdown process. What I advise you do, if you want, is use my registry tweaks for Vista >>
    Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/2zwnotj0ejo/Vista Tweak.reg
    This will add the following features/tweaks to your Vista:
    "Copy to" and "Move to" to your explorer menu's
    Open Cmd Window Here to all Explorer Menu's
    Add Status Bar and Word Wrap to Notepad
    Disable Remote Computer Access
    Clear Recent Documents on Exit
    No Low Disk Space Check
    Speed up Menu Show Delay
    Do not Track Shell Shortcuts During Network Roaming
    Do not search based methods when looking for Broken Shortcuts
    Do not tracking based methods when looking for Broken Shortcuts
    No Open with or Search the Internet for unknown file extensions or programs, Directly opens the Choose Program Menu unstead

And most importantly, the features that will address your shut down issue and speed up the process:
    AutoEndTasks changed to 1
    HungAppTimeout set to 1000
    WaitToKillAppTimeout set to 2000
    LowLevelHooksTimeout 1000 <<< This you may need to change to 5000 if you use Vmware or you may receive keyboard error messages (I leave it and ignore the messages myself as it is best set to 1000 to resolve other issues)

You may edit the reg file to make any changes you like, or remove anything you do not want set/changed, but this will greatly improve your shut down times. If you would like a file without all the extra changes and do not know how to edit reg files let me know and I will make you one with only the speedup shut down time tweaks.

Here, test before and after reboot times with this neat little script >>>
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ztmgkt...mrkristins.vbs

I am sure you will see a great improvement!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-21-2009 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I also found this review for you, so you know they are fine in a Gigabyte X58 board
    OCZ 6GB PC3-12800 Platinum DDR3 Triple Channel Memory Kit Review
    I've been reviewing everything you've posted trying to find something that I've overlooked that could be causing these hangs / lockups and I happened to click through on the link to the above review. I just wanted to make sure that you know that's not the memory kit that I'm using. Mine is not the Platinum kit but the Extreme Series Triple Channel kit OCZ3X1600LV6GK (details here: OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Intel® i7 Triple Channel ) This memory is supposed to be specifically for triple channel I7 motherboards.

As I mentioned, I'm not considering bailing on this memory now that Memtest86 passes it but I just wanted to make sure that anyone who wants to contribute here knows for sure which kit it is that I'm using

Thanks,

- Norm

I fixed the above link for the Vista Reg tweak file, sorry I missed the broken link. This site broke the link due to the space (See now in code) in the url.

Sorry, I must have missed that when I thought that review was for your ram. I do see users at newegg using that ram with Gigabyte boards so i don't think it is an issue.

Let me know if you use the reg file and how you like the changes, sorry about the broken link before

I'm sorry that it's taken a few weeks for me to get back on this topic, both my parents had a bit of a health crisis and working on this system was about the last thing on my mind.

I'd decided to take a different tact on trying to figure out what's going on here and I replaced my boot hard drive with a blank 500gb Seagate drive and tried installing XP x64 to see if that behaved any better.

I had no problems installing the OS and updating everything. However once I plugged in my E: data drive and started the system and went to use the E: drive I immediately started having problems. I started getting "Delayed Writes Failed" and various assorted messages that go along with that. My E: drive is a Seagate 1TB ST31000528AS and I had to shut down to install the Seagate Diagnostics but every test I tried starting with the SMART test failed. I did of course try several different sata cables and a different power connector from the PSU but still the same.

I think that the bottom line here is that all the problems that I've been having with Vista (the lock up, freezes etc) are all due to this flaky Seagate hard drive. Thinking back in retrospect after I installed Vista most of my problems didn't start until after I added this as a second hard drive and started installing data and programs there.

I happened to have a Western Digital 1TB WD1001FALS drive that I'd bought for another project but hadn't used yet so I'm formatting that as we speak and we'll see how things go once I have what data I can recover from the Seagate on that.

I can really understand why people are frustrated with Vista, if only it had given me some warning that delayed writes were failing then much of this agony could have been avoided. To be fair, it's possible that there were warning messages in the event log that I didn't see but XP x64 popped up a warning message in the system tray that was unmistakable so no need to go looking in the event log.

- Norm

Sorry to hear about your parents, hope things work out for them!

Glad to see you have narrowed the issue down to your 1T Seagate, was this one of the ones affected by the bad firmware? Did you ever update to the bad firmware? If so, have you tried the corrected version yet?

If you need help in finding out about the above info let me know and I can point you in the right direction, if you never checked or are unaware of the issues mentioned then that very well could be the problem and a new firmware could correct things and save you from having to RMA the drive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information