Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EX58-Extreme Memory Issues

Default EX58-Extreme Memory Issues

I'm currently trying to get a system that I just built working properly and I'm having serious stability issues that appear to be memory related.

The hardware includes consists of a Gigabyte Ex58-Extreme (using the latest F7 Bios), an Intel Boxed Core I7 950, an OCZ triple channel 6 GB memory kit (OCZ3X1600LV6GK), a GeForce 9800GT, an OCZ 850watt PSU (OCZ850GXSSLI), a Pioneer SATA DVD burner, a Segate 7200.12 500gb in a Lian-Li PC-A6010 case.

Over a three day period I was able to load Vista Ultimate x64, the Gigabyte drivers and applications CD, plus pretty much all the applications that I usually use on most of my systems all without any noticeable problems. The system did hang and become unresponsive once when I was running but after a cold boot I was able to rerun Microsoft Update and it finished without any further problems. However, I noticed if I ran more than a couple applications or tried to copy any significant amount of data to or from the system it would stall / hang and become unresponsive.

To try and narrow down the problem I started by running Memtest86+ 3.5 but it only got 7% of the way through the first pass when Memtest apparently hung without reporting any bad memory.

At first I was using the bios optimized defaults for all setting including the memory but on the advice of OCZ support I used the Intelligent Tweaker to set the XMP profile to 1 and made sure that the memory voltage matched OCZ's specs.

After a whole bunch of trial and error tests I discovered that any single stick of this memory will work in any single slot (1, 3 or 5) and test fine in multiple passes of MemTest86. However if I add a second stick to any of the other two available slots MemTest86 will get 7 to 10 percent done and the system will reboot itself.

On further advice from OCZ I tried changing the system memory multiplier to 10x and running the memory at 1333 and this made no noticeable difference in this problem.

I just don't understand how each individual stick can test good but add a second stick that tests good by itself and there's a problem. Can anyone supply any idea's about why this is and on how to get this working?

- Norm

Default Re: EX58-Extreme Memory Issues

This is probably a board issue, maybe the board is defective.

If the optimized defaults don't work with the RAM at SPD speeds but the RAM tests fine individually then the issue is usually board related. It could be the CPU with it's integrated memory controller but defective CPUs are extremely rare.

I also just read something that F7 BIOS can cause problems, maybe try an earlier version or one of the F8x beta veriosn found in the Stasio's sticky thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm74656 View Post
    To try and narrow down the problem I started by running Memtest86+ 3.5 but it only got 7% of the way through the first pass when Memtest apparently hung without reporting any bad memory.

After a whole bunch of trial and error tests I discovered that any single stick of this memory will work in any single slot (1, 3 or 5) and test fine in multiple passes of MemTest86. However if I add a second stick to any of the other two available slots MemTest86 will get 7 to 10 percent done and the system will reboot itself.
    I am seeing the exact same problems (hang at 7% with triple channel, reboot around 10% with dual, works fine with one) with a different setup (ex58-ud3r, 920, ocz gold 3x2gb 1600, corsair 750w, 9800 GTX+, antec 300 case).

I've already replaced the mobo and switched to a different brand of RAM (original was G.Skill), but I'm still seeing the exact same behavior. All RAM passes memtest, and I'm guessing two bad boards in a row with the exact same problem is extremely unlikely.

This is my first time building my own machine. Do I need to tweak voltages to make this work, or could it be that my is CPU bad?
    GA-EX58-UD3R
    Intel 920 2.66GHz
    OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
    XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

I read the sticky that RMA discussion is banned so I hope it's safe to say that based on these odd problems I'd RMA'd this board but it was returned to me and the result was that no problems were detected in testing.

I've been corresponding with Gigabyte technical support but for better or worse it seems to be a matter of policy that any memory that's over 1066mhz is considered "Overclocking" and if it doesn't work there's nothing to be done.

Since the issue seems to be with the memory I've been trying to get the support technician to supply me with the part number of a known good guaranteed to work 6gb memory kit but he (or she) will not make a commitment. I've looked at the QVL list but it's very odd that many of the modules listed (that are supposed to be 6gb kits) are not available here in the US or they turn out to be single modules (have to buy three individual modules that weren't tested together) or dual channel kits.

I will try the F8 bios which I just discovered to see if that makes any difference. But if that fails can anyone supply me with the part number for a known good memory kit.

Thanks,

- Norm

If the board was tested and returned as not being defective then it is either the CPU (which is unlikely), it's a compatability issue or a setting problem. You both do not mention whether you tried the RAM at 1066, which is the speed that the Core i7 memory controller is rated at. Anything higher is not guaranteed to run and considered by Intel to be overclocking.
    Do you have X.M.P. enabled in BIOS? If yes disable this to have the RAM run at the SPD speed of 1066 and see if that runs. If that works then the problem is that the settings form the X.M.P. profile are unstable in triple channel mode.

My board wasn't tested by Gigabyte, only replaced by Newegg. I'd bet they don't do any testing.

OCZ Gold 3x2GB RAM, while not on Gigabyte's list of verified RAM, is successfully used by several people in reviews of the EX58-UD3R on Newegg, and at speeds higher than 1066.

XMP isn't available as an option to me, so I'm guessing my RAM doesn't even support that feature. I've tried running at the fail-safe defaults, (sets RAM to 1066 7-7-7-16, under-clocks cpu to 2ghz) with no improvement.

No chance this could be a voltage issue?
    GA-EX58-UD3R
    Intel 920 2.66GHz
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

You can try increasing the RAM voltage to ~ 1.65V which is probably what the RAM is rated for. But i doubt that it will fix the problem. Try updating the BIOs with only one or sticks isnerted so the system is stable.
    I have the UD3R myself and it's running fine with the Platinum 1600 that the OP has. He has a different board but that RAM is quite popular and I have read about people using it with the Extreme without problems. There seem to be different revisions of the RAM so maybe that is a problem...
    Since you also tried G.Skill RAM before I'd say that compatability is unlikely to be the problem here. For the OP the problem [I]may /I] be the F7 BIOS, maybe your problem is an unstable BIOS too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    If the board was tested and returned as not being defective then it is either the CPU (which is unlikely), it's a compatability issue or a setting problem. You both do not mention whether you tried the RAM at 1066, which is the speed that the Core i7 memory controller is rated at. Anything higher is not guaranteed to run and considered by Intel to be overclocking.
    Do you have X.M.P. enabled in BIOS? If yes disable this to have the RAM run at the SPD speed of 1066 and see if that runs. If that works then the problem is that the settings form the X.M.P. profile are unstable in triple channel mode.
    I had XMP enabled in the Bios but I've switched that off and had the System Memory Multiplier first down to 10 and now down to 8 and MemTest86 still does the exact same thing: any single stick in any slot (1, 3 or 5) tests good in multiple passes but add a second stick to any other slot and the test gets 7 to 10 percent done and the system reboots.

Fyi, I just flashed to the latest F8g bios and that made no difference in regards to this problem and before doing the tests at 1066mhz I reloaded the optimized defaults to undo any manual tweaks that had previously been made. Not that it would affect MemTest86 but I tried disabling multi-threading. Then I set the QPI Clock Ratio to Slow and Performance Enhance to Standard and MemTest86 still rebooted the system on tests with two sticks.

- Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    You can try increasing the RAM voltage to ~ 1.65V which is probably what the RAM is rated for. But i doubt that it will fix the problem. Try updating the BIOs with only one or sticks isnerted so the system is stable.
    For the OP the problem [I]may /I] be the F7 BIOS, maybe your problem is an unstable BIOS too.
    You're right, my OCZ Gold is rated for 1.65, and increasing to that voltage made no difference. My board came with the FB BIOS which I'm assuming from Gigabyte's website is the latest version.
    GA-EX58-UD3R
    Intel 920 2.66GHz
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Well do try other BIOS versions, both of you. The latest releases aren't always the best ones, and sometimes memory compatability in BIOS versions is like a rollercoaster ride: One version is fine, next one breaks it, then one after that is again fine.

Also Lsdmeasap is back in action and he knows more about i7 settings than I do, maybe send him a PM or something and ask him nicely to help out :)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information