Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REQ: EP45-UD3R--which OC's Quad-core CPU?

Question REQ: EP45-UD3R--which OC's Quad-core CPU?

I bought one of the fantastic boards the first of the year, along with the dual-core E7200 CPU recommended by Tom's Hardware. It's been a great system, but I realized after purchasing the CPU that I wanted one that supported virtualization (VT).

Now I have an opportunity to upgrade to a quad-core CPU. My question is this: which Intel quad-core offers the same overclockability as the E7200 and also offers VT? What are other people on the board using for their quad-core CPU?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: REQ: EP45-UD3R--which OC's Quad-core CPU?

Waht's "the same overclockability?" what are your expectations?
    Looking at Intel's site most quads except 3 have virtualization technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Waht's "the same overclockability?" what are your expectations?
    Looking at Intel's site most quads except 3 have virtualization technology.
    I'm not necessarily looking for the same ratio I can get from the E7200--just something that's been proven to OC well with this particular board.

Q9550 in the E0 stepping is a great overclocker and at the current price it's a great bargain too. The slower chips (Q8400, Q9400) aren't that much cheaper and don't overclock as well. With good air cooling you should be able to overclock the CPU easily to 4GHz.
    Here's a nice list showing which chips support VT and which don't:
    List of Intel Core 2 microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nickel020--

That's the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So did you decide yet?

Just checking in, nice to see you found the info you needed though (Thanks Nickel020)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    So did you decide yet?

Just checking in, nice to see you found the info you needed though (Thanks Nickel020)
    Well, it looks like the 9550 is what I'd want from the recommendation. I've just noticed a couple of other current threads about the 9550 so I'll have to check those out first.

Here's another question: I have XP SP3 installed under a Core 2 Duo chip, so will I have to reinstall the OS when I change out my processor?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nope, you wont need to reinstall the system. Windows will automatically update the needed drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Nope, you wont need to reinstall the system. Windows will automatically update the needed drivers
    Great news--thanks!

I agree that the Q9550 is the best quad in regards to value for your cash with the kind of clocks that can be reached. With a few simple button presses, sometimes on stock volts you can have something that outperforms an out-of-the-box QX9770/QX9775 and will OC to the same or maybe higher (as the QX9770 is C1 and the QX9775 is C0).

You've definitely made a good choice for your Quad. It's worth noting that you should get a decent amount for your E7200 on eBay too. They are still great budget CPU's and clock well. It's up to you if you mention on the listing that you OC'd it. If you got an impressive OC on it (1GHz or more) then declare it and you'll get alot of interest. If it was a mild OC, tell em you ran it stock. You haven't damaged it, so it's in the same condition really as a stock one would be. Include the little plastic case it came in (anti-static) or wrap it in an anti static bag before you send it. Bubble wrap is a static magnet and I've had experience with dead on arrival CPU's, it's annoying when it could have been prevented.

Keep us posted on how your build goes. Like Lsdmeasap says, the switch over won't need a re-install of the OS. In some cases though, Windows stores a value in the registry telling it how much L2 cache is onboard. The E7200 has 3MB shared but the Q9550 has a whopping 4 times as much meaning 12MB of shared L2 cache. It would be wise to change this value to the correct amount. It's only polled if the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) can't report the correct amount to either Windows (uncommon) or a program (more common especially with older programs). The guide on how to change it is here: CPU L2 Cache Memory setting in Vista - Vista Forums
    It's a guide I used myself, very well written.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information