Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP45-DS3R default vista driver support

Default EP45-DS3R default vista driver support

Can someone post device manager screen shots for clean vista sp1 build?

Reinstalling Vista SP1 64bit, dual Realtek 8111C onboard NICs appear in device manager with default MS drivers loaded but device cannot start - RLT8168/8111 Family PCI-E GigE (NDIS 6.0). I could use the the drivers off the Gigabyte CD, but wondering are the default windows drivers supposed to work? I remember them loading up on fresh build and want to make sure BIOS is setting up everything right. I think a virus corrupted part the NVRAM that cannot easily be cleared.

Installing the Intel INF drivers doesn't help with NICs, but it causes my Vista activation grace period to go to zero, saying activate today (no days remaining) on the 3rd boot. Perhaps there is some bad licensing info in the BIOS - I've never messed with SLIC or anything else that writes to BIOS. It gets read when the Intel drivers give windows full low level access to LPC bus or CMOS. Upon clean install, Vista detects Unknown SMBus controller, and the activation grace period is normal.

Anyone see anything like this? I've cleared the CMOS and reflashed the bios and wiped my drives using manufacturer utility. Where could the data be lurking? it's zombied my bios. How can I clean it out?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-DS3R default vista driver support

No, you need either Gigabyte/Realtek or Realtek drivers. I suggest you grab the latest direct from Realtek >>
    Realtek

Vista likely is asking for activation after installing an update or something possibly? I have never let it go more than a day in a long time so I could not be sure if this is normal nowadays or not? Could be they changed something in the OS Itself to limit the trial periods since it is getting older?

Did you buy the board used? I asked because you mentioned SLIC and BIOS, if you think someone before you used SLIC I suggest you flash an older or newer BIOS in there. If you are using the latest flash and older one and let it load windows a few times them flash back to the new version.

No the board was bought new from NewEgg. Yes I did load windows with F5, then loaded F9.

I think my BIOS chip has been sabotaged. I can't flash with Qflash. It takes, but on the next load it says corrupt and loads from backup bios the version that came with the board. The windows util works though, but.. I had a password to enter bios and it is still there, but doesn't unlock settings after accepting correct password.

EasyTune 6 also says i've got "E8500 Quad" when I've only two cores. Linux also detects 4 cores, 2 hot swap cores. And the Energy Saver util has an indicator for processor throttling, it swings from 50% to 100% at a constant rate with no cpu activity in win. Bluray movies loose sync with audio, like frames are lagging due to some timer issues. GPU graphics also have hiccups. It is like there is a periodic system interrupt. I was googling and maybe the ACPI tables are zombied and the super IO chip that loads and flashes bios chip is the reason. Or the boot block is zombied to load an alternate bios or extension. The bios is 8mbit, that's alot of space for things to hide. It is possible to load something before the bios. Malicous underware.

Anyways, keeping the machine isolated from USB and internet. Only loading from commerically pressed CDs. Will see what other symptoms come up.

Well certain BIOS versions you cannot flash with Qflash between due to internal Qflash changes amongst the versions. You will have to use FlashSPI with DOS\

Can you please FULLY Clear your CMOS using the method I outline in post #2 here >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

This should correct your BIOS Password and CPU name issues, then please flash the latest BIOS again using FlashSPI

If you want to be sure, use AWDFlash and use these switches, well here is an example of the flash command you would want to use with AWDFlash
    AWDFlash.exe gaep45ds3r.F9 /py /sn /f /cc /cd /CP /r

If you need a copy of AWDflash and cannot find it let me know, if you dont have floppy you can find how to make a bootable USB Stick on the guide linked above also.

Thanks for the help I wil try that. Where is listed checksums for bios versions? After loading bios bin, qflash reports checksum before loading.

Isn't Qflash loaded from the current BIOS already in system memory? So when you call it to load a new BIOS, upon next reboot there should be a new version of Qflash with the new BIOS. Nothing would be left to be incompatible. I will try going from F5 to F6 and clearing CMOS and seeing if I still get bios corruption. The Bios Corrupted error is reported by the most basic rom in the bios that loads all the other roms. I really think I have virus that is preventing proper flashes or inserting itself everytime I reflash. Looking at Linux hardware detection, there is some odd things happening on PCI bus. I have a phantom PCI bridge that can't get any physical resources assigned. I believe this is what I've got- a ROM extension that loads up a PCI rootkit. Here's some more info.

If the BIOS had a virus that circumvented onboard flashing, what options are for flashing the chips?

There is not a list, just be sure you see four characters and you will be good to go. What that is for is so if you are flashing the same version you can verify that they matched the last time you used it.

Qflash is part of the BIOS itself, not in memory. Sometimes a Checksum error after flash is completely normal, just load and apply optimized/reboot and verify (F9 on MAIN page) that the new BIOS is loaded. I mention this checksum error being normal in the Qflash guide, it's because the main and backup don't match until you let the optimized defaults load and boot through to windows, then the backup chip will be flashed. Be sure to reset your RAID before loading windows to do this, if you are using RAID.

BIOS would not get a Virus, there is not enough space. Even if there was the option would be simple, clear CMOS = Virus gone

If you believe there is such a thing in your BIOS, clearing the CMOS would remove it then ZERO'n out your drive would clear it from the drive. Wiping a drive is much different then Zeroing out a drive, nothing would survive zeroing out the drive. If you need help in doing that let me know, I use @Active KillDisk, and use D.o.D Erase method.

Thread Information