Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BATA BIOS F8f and two UD5 Boards

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BATA BIOS F8f and two UD5 Boards

Sorry to hear you had to RMA, but ya it sounded to me after all your testing that it had to be specific to that one board.

Hopefully you marked it with UV marker right? So they don't send you back the same exact one. I do this with everything I RMA, broken or brand new

That's a YES, I marked it with a UV marker, only because of feedback on the vendors site from other people who have done RMA's and received the same exact defective part back from the vendor. I never had any problems with this vendor, but way take chances, when you read that the vendor has played RMA games with people.

Nice!!!

Cool to see someone else thinking like me, I always try to suggest this to users whenever possible. Good luck with the RMA, keep us posted

Hi Lsdmeasap;

UPDATE:

Received my new UD5 from the vendor, and it is a new board, no UV marks on it.
    The board came with F7 BIOS installed.

Installed it, started it up with the i7 950 at stock settings, it did the same thing as I wrote in my first posting, CPU Temp and Core Temp’s all Correct, but the PWM fan only ran in two speeds LOW and MAX. Up graded to F8f BIOS after clearing CMOS the long way as I did before, same problem with the PWM fan.

My friend also got a new UD5, I ask him to come over with his board and we tested both new UD5’s for 2 days………..

Changing components between each boards……3 different Power Supplies, 3 different Corsair Memory sets, 4 different Video cards, 5 different hard drives, 2 different floppy drives, and 4 different i7 CPU’s.

All the results were the same……..the CPU PWM fan only work in two modes LOW and MAX RPM’s…….

The one NEW thing that was found was that if the fan I had connected to the PWR_FAN connection was unconnected, the CPU PWM FAN stayed at MAX RPM with no change, if the fan was plugged back in to the PWR_FAN connector, the CPU PWM FAN ran in two modes LOW RPM and MAX RPM.
    The CPU FAN would change between LOW RPM and MAX RPM, between CPU Temps of 33c – 36c.

Then we Flashed to the F9a, also changing all components, the results we got from both boards were the same(and the board I RMA)……….the CPU Temp’s was TOO LOW, between 9c – 11c below ambient Temp which was 24c – 25c (on AIR COOLING), that remained the same even with changing each board between 2 different i7 920’s, one 940, and two 950’s ……….
    BUT the PWM fan was WORKING CORRECTLY scaling and changing RPM’s with the changes in CPU Temp up or down.

So that makes three NEW UD5’s that all work the same way with the f7, F8f, and f9a BIOS’s. The one I RMA, the one I received back, and my friends UD5.

Since the PWN fan is working correctly in the F9a BIOS now, looks like it’s a BIOS problem with the LOW CPU TEMP.
    I got the CPU Low Temp readings is in the BIOS on the PC Health Page, in Everest, and Gigabyte Easy Tune 6. Core temps were taken with Core Temp, Real Temp, Speed Fan, and Everest.

Why these three new UD5’s are have problems with the F7 BIOS installed on them and the various BIOS’s I flashed them too, and my old UD5 I purchased in December of 2008 had none of these problems. Maybe there are changes on the New UD5 boards that require changes and corrections in the BIOS?????

For now I'll stay with the F7 BIOS, since it has the correct CPU Temp, and does speed up between 33c - 36c, no way I'll overclock my CPU with the current F9a BIOS that has an incorrect LOW CPU TEMP, since the PWM fan will not be cooling the CPU correctly. Meaning at Idle my 950 CPU Temp should be 35c – 38c overclocked at 3.9, and not 18c – 21c, the PWM fan should be spinning between 1550 RPM – 1700 RPM at the correct CPU Temp, an not 850 RPM to 975 RPM at the incorrect CPU TEMP.

Hmm, very odd to hear! Do the new and old boards look exactly the same? Power phases, ect all the same?

I removed my old UD5(I got in Dec 2008) from the case, and put it side to side with the new UD5 I just received. Looking at the two board, nothing stood out as being added or missing, especially around Power Phase area.
    If there were changes made in components or value change in a component (resistors, capacitors, IC chips), there is no way of me seeing or knowing that, other then seeing a component is missing or added.
    The only difference that is noticeable is on the back of the board. My old UD5 has plastic push pins holding the North Bridge Heatsink down, on the new UD5’s there is a metal bracket on the back of the board with two spring screws holding the Heatsink down.

On the three new UD5’s I tested in the posting above, the problem is LOW CPU TEMP with the BATA BIOS F9a. This reading is taken from the BIOS Page “PC Health”, were it shows a CPU TEMP between 9c – 13c on startup, and raises to between 17c – 20c after idling for one hour, this is with all Optimized Stock Settings in the BIOS, using a i7 920 CO stepping CPU. I’m using Air Cooling(Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme), in a room with an ambient temp between 24c – 26c.

So all the Blue or Purple caps are also the same exact match? Just asking because of your mention of "Value" Changes

So only the new BIOS affects the temp issue, on all boards even your old one? Sorry, just thought we discussed this before and you said only the new one was affected... Guess I could be lost with all these UD5's! :)

If it is just the BIOS then it is likely a bug and will get reported and corrected

To answer your first question. The Blue Caps in the Power Phase area are all the same on both my old UD5 and the three new UD5’s #898 820 2.5V, this information is printed on top of the caps.

In answer to your second question, the LOW CPU Temp issue is only on the NEW UD5 boards with BIOS F8f and F9a.

All the BIOS’s I flashed on my old UD5 worked without one problem, that is BIOS F7, F8f, and F9a.

To recap:

All Three New UD5 Boards;
    BIOS F7: Correct CPU TEMP, reading in BIOS “PC Health”. PWM FAN only works in two modes LOW RPM and MAX RPM.

BIOS F8f: CPU TEMP is not correct TO LOW, reading in BIOS “PC Health”. PWM FAN working correctly.

BIOS F9a: CPU TEMP is not correct TO LOW, reading in BIOS “PC Health”. PWM FAN working correctly.

OLD UD5 BOARD(December 2008)
    All BIOS’s F7, F8f and F9a, WORKED CORRECTLY, correct CPU TEMP reading in BIOS “PC HEALTH”, and PWM FAN worked correctly

Hmm well that is very odd to see. Thanks for the summary again, sorry for my confusion through all this.

They must have changed something then obviously... Right?

I think since it is all the new ones and not the old, maybe when they fix it in the BIOS then the old one will mess up? You may need to keep different BIOS's on each to keep them happy.

Have you made a support ticket yet? If not, please do and link this post and your summary and see what they have to say >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Hi Lsdmeasap

Just sent a support ticket off to Gigabyte.....

Thanks for all you help........

If it was not for the problems I'm having........the boards are GREAT, been using them in different setups for the past few days, one overclocked the other at stock settings, and got to say they are better then my old UD5.......that's way I wanted another Gigabyte UD5, my first board overclocked like a champ never gave me a headache, just worked as it should, was fast, never had a problem with it, even with the changes in BIOS's I did.........it worked without a flaw.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information