Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BATA BIOS F8f and two UD5 Boards

Default BATA BIOS F8f and two UD5 Boards

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSTANLE%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have a X58-UD5 (SN084600020820) that I got back in December 08, was one of the first UD5s that came out.
    Over the past 8 months it worked great, was on 12 hrs a day 7 days a week. I had to upgrade to BATA BIOS F8f because it had a fix for my new memory. No problems, everything worked as before, now with faster memory. Overclocked my 950 to 4.0, memory overclocked to 1670, BCLK 167, Turbo on, CPU x24, memory x10 and everything is running stable, with 9 hrs of Prime95, 20 runs of LniX, and 10 runs of Memtest86+. One Great Board.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I purchased another UD5 (SN093000019067) last week, for another build. It came with BIOS F7, I undated the BIOS to the BATA BIOS F8f, and now my CPU temp is wrong, it reads 18c 21c at idle and not 33c 35c as it should, and my CPU PWM fan only works at two speeds MAX 2500, and LOW 800, the fan RPM do not scale for CPU temperatures, have everything set correctly in BIOS for PWM, and have a PWM fan hooked up.
    On my original UD5 board the CPU FAN speed started at 1500 for a CPU temp of 33c and goes up in RPMs (1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2000, 2100) depending on the rise in CPU temp under various loads. I have a Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme HS on both UD5s.
    I tried going back to BIOS F7, the CPU Temp is still not correct, and CPU PWN fan is still not working correctly.
    Is there a problem in the F8f BIOS????
    Were mods done to the new batch of UD5s????
    Were mods done in the F8f BIOS PWM settings
    to interact with another setting in the BIOS???
    Do I have a problem with this new UD5???

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BATA BIOS F8f and two UD5 Boards

I am not sure if there is an issue or not, but I would suggest you clear the CMOS fully and try flashing it again. Here in this post is how I suggest you clear the CMOS >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

I can also say, you may want to try out the latest new beta BIOS F8h >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

The boards should be exactly the same the issue likely is due to the flashing of the new beta not fully taking effect. You did load and apply optimized defaults, then save/reboot F10 after the flash right? If not you need to do that, please see my tips in the Qflash guide above

As for your temps, they may not match up as the CPU's would be different and one could be hotter or colder than the other. And yes, by that much

About the PWM fans, are they all the same for both? Have you tested them all on your older board to be sure they function the same? Just checking

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSTANLE%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi Lsdmeasap, Yes I did apply and load the optimized defaults after flashing the F8f, and saved them with f10. When I went back to the F7, I also applied and loaded the optimized defaults after flashing the F7, saved with F10.
    I did clear the CMOS as described in the QFLASH GUID, when I started the new board and saw the problems, I cleared the CMOS and RE-FLASHED with the F8f, no help. Cleared CMOS going back to the old F7, only to have the same two problems.
    Im using the i7 950 DO on both boards, the one having the CPU temp and fan problems are at standard stock settings, the CPU Temp should be in the mid 20c at stock, and in the mid 30c for the board I have overclocked at 4.0, my CPU Volts 1.29375, CPU/VTT 1.300, DRAM 1.640.
    The reason I updated to the F8f was to run my new CORSAIR DOMINATOR Model TR3X6G1600C7D, 3 x 2, which run at 7.7.7.20, I could not run this memory with the F7 BIOS, at the stated specs. There was a fix in the F8f for the chips used in this memory. once I flashed to the F8f, I was able to use the XMP and/or Manual setting for this memory to get them running at 7.7.7.20 as specified by Corsair
    As for the fan, I used a new PWM Fan in the problem board, but I switch my old fan I am using on my old board to see if it was the fan, and both give the same results, just MAX RPM and LOW RPM, they both do not scale as to the CPU temp on this new UD5 board, only on my old UD5 board. Both fans are Cooljag Everflow PWM, 2500RPM, 110 CFM.
    Ill try the new BATA BIOS F8h for the UD5 and see if that correct my problems, and let you know.

Please try clearing your CMOS the way I outline in the Qflash guide, this way the CMOS and DMI Data for sure gets fully cleared.

Your CPU temps can't be compared like that as one may have stuck sensors or ones that do not function similar to the other at idle. The only way you could compare these CPU Temps with any surety would be to test each one separately in each board then if one board is always +20C hotter you know you have an issue.

As for the PWM, several of the past and current beta's have issues with this, it is something they have been trying to correct. But since your fans act the same on either board and one has an issue you may have a faulty connection on that board. Some boards certain Fan connections are faulty/buggy. So that may be the case you are seeing here

Please clear your CMOS the long way I outline, then try out the new beta and let us know how you get along

Ok, I understand. I see Gigabyte has a final F8 BIOS on their website, I will download that one to use in my testing. I will use the long CMOS and DMI clearing, and will get back to you later tonight or tomorrow with my results.........Thank you......

Lsdmeasap

UPDATE:

I downloaded the F8 BIOS from the Gigabyte site.

I cleared the CMOS as you suggested, the long way then Flashed the BIOS with F8, applied the optimized settings, saved them with F10.

Still have the same problems with this new UD5 board, CPU Temp is reading 15c at stock settings, BUT the PWM Fan is working correctly, and is scaling the fans RPM as the temp of the CPU changes up or down.
    So it looks like the PWM fan calculations must be generated based on these CPU Temp readings, because when I return to the F7 BIOS on the new UD5 board which gives me the correct CPU Temps, the PWM Fan only has two speeds MAX and LOW.
    Funny part of this is that all the Core Temp are correct and read the same on both boards at stock settings, using Real Temp, Core Temp, and Everest.

I also switch my i7 950 between the two UD5 boards, and each gave me the same results on the new UD5 board, within a degrees or two of each other, both had low CPU Temp 15c - 17c on the new UD5 board, and the correct CPU Temp 33c - 35c on my old UD5 board.

As I said in my first post, I had no problems with the F8f BIOS on my old UD5 board that gives me the correct CPU Temp and the PWM Fan works correctly.

I found a few threads in the “Gigabyte Latest BIOS” from people who are also having problems with CPU Temps being too low, seems to start with the F8 series BATA’s, the threads are #1334 on page 134 F8e, #1380 on page 138 F8f, #1395 on page 140 F8f, and #1475 on page 146 F8f.

There is no way, on Air Cooling can the CPU Temp can be 9c below the ambient Temp of my room which between 24c - 25c, and the CPU Temp is reading 15c - 16c. This CPU Temp reading is in the BIOS in the PC Health window, and in Everest.

the lower reported cpu temp was a problem on the ud4p with f9b, it would read 10C lower than it should. I thought I was witnessing the laws of physics being broken and though about buying stock in noctua, then I realized it was the bios being dumb.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F10d
    Intel i7 920 D0 3.8Ghz 181x21 1.24375Vcore 1.195QPI/Vtt
    Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 push-pull, vertically mounted
    3x2GB G.Skill DD3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 8-8-8-21-1T 1.54v
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SLI 700-1500-1200
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
    2x WD Caviar Black 640GB in Raid 0, 64KB stripes, 250GB short stroke
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Antec 1200 Gamer Case
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

So it is ONLY your new board though right, that shows the wrong temps thus affecting the PWM Fans? If so, then it would be the board itself and not the BIOS

If so then it would be up to you, but I would RMA it to the store you bought from if you have time or get used to it as that can't be changed via a BIOS update.

Yup Lsdmeasap, I agree with you, I fooled around for a few hours trying various different BATA BIOS’s, clearing CMOS, but nothing worked, so I gave up and went on line and got an RMA from the Vendor, and set it back today for a replacement……Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information