Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [ISSUE] Computer won't come back on after updating chipset driver.

Default Re: [ISSUE] Computer won't come back on after updating chipset driver.

Alright, thx to everyone that has responded so far.

(Jumper) - I have tried the jumper deal, as I also did it when I did the battery pull out the first time.

(Source) - This is the page I got the chipset driver from: GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-M61PME-S2 (rev. 2.x) The chipset link, from the American mirror. As I can't get on the computer I'm 99% sure no other file was dowloaded. The computer still won't turn on, I get a short sound, like it's getting power and then it just sits there. No other activity takes place whatsoever. And I removed the hard drive, and still nothing happened.

So I'm at a complete loss as to how this can be solved.
    Last edited by GHa; 08-13-2009 at 11:12 AM.

If you have access to another power supply try that to rule out PSU. Also make sure Main ATX connector and 12V ATX all the way in on MB. I am guessing 12V problem if it is not turning on at all.

Also could try Power Supply reset.

Disconnect Main power cord to power supply and press power switch on front of case for 10-15 seconds. Plug main cord back in. And turn on computer.

Also try taking battery out and leaving computer unplugged for 30 mins. As noted before.

The chipset driver is not the issue right now. That has nothing to do with the computer booting up until Windows calls on those driver files at windows Startup.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by gigafan200; 08-13-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Have you removed the hard drive yet, so you can see that a driver has nothing to do with this? With no hard drive connected the drivers cannot affect the system, so you would know the drive is not the issue.

If it will not start with no drive connected then it just happened to be a random coincidence that something else died at the same time as you restarting your computer for the driver update, not that the driver killed anything

Yea I unplugged the hard drive and I've tried repeatedly to turn it on. Now I've unseated and reseated the motherboard.

I have another Power supply unit, but it's an older version. it has 4 less plugs on it, so I don't want to hook it up to the newer board without knowing what I'm doing. Also, I have my older computer, that the older PSU came from, I hooked the newer PSU up to it, but the older motherboard has 4 less pins for the main power plug, and on the main that hooks up, there is one missing from it. It doesn't work, but I'm also not sure if the pin lay out matters.

Is it possible for a power supply to just randomly go out, while performing a restart on the computer? And if anyone can help me with the PSU issue, to test the computer that's having the issue's PSU on the older computer, if it's possible without butchering it, that would be awesome. Or hmmm, I could take a voltmeter to it aye?

Yes, it is possible and it is possible if that happened that it damaged other parts. Do you feel confident in "Jumping" your PSU? If so, then please see here for how to jump test your PSU's >>
    How To: Jump Start A Power Supply (PSU) / Test A Power Supply And Components - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

If you do this, please also have at least one other thing connected to the PSU, such as a fan or floppy drive.

And yes, you could possibly use either PSU on either board, but I would need to see the plugs you mention. You can use a 4Pin on a 8pin plug and visa versa but you need to look at the socket and plug and be sure you match them up properly. Same applies to 20 and 24 pin ones. That may not always work but most often it will, and usually would be fine to test the board or PSU.

Here is some info on all PSU Connections, in case you want to look up one or read about them all while you wait to hear back
    All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

If you are talking about some Dell or HP, ect boards/PSU then stop now as they wont work.

Alright, finally I've found the problem.

Seems the power supply died during rebooting. I tried the jumper deal and it does almost nothing. One the first turn on, with the chassis fan hooked up, it kicks the chassis fan for just a moment. The fan on the back of the supply doesn't even turn. And I tested this on the power supply that has been known to work and it comes on.

Thanks for all your help guys, and I'll get another power supply or if at all possible see about getting my old one on it(?). Though it doesn't have the correct plug for my hard drive(SATA connector). AND, it has the 20 pin connector instead of the 24 pin. So I'm thinking it won't work without some serious moving of pins.

Anyways, again thanks for the help, and if I have any more issues, I'll be sure to come back to this thread or open a new one up once I get the PSU sorted. And I learned some new stuff. Hopefully, nothing else was injured during the process of it malfunctioning and its a good thing I have a lappy for times like these.

Is the fan running on the power supply? Do any fans come on then off when powering on?

Nah, like I said it only kicks the chassis fan for a moment, on the first try. On the 2nd, 3rd, etc tries it does nothing. The actual fan on the PSU, does nothing.

Didn't feel the need to remove any other items to test them, it plainly just doesn't work. Ah, and on the 1st try, you can actually hear the PSU powering down. The sound I kept talking about, that sounds like a tv turning off. After that again, it just plays dead...I should give it a cookie.

Nice to see you found the issue!!

Post back if you need anymore help with things once you get a replacement.

Ohh and ya I don't advise using a PSU with incorrect plugs. It may be ok for a few seconds to test something, but is not advised for long or even short term use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information