Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [ISSUE] Computer won't come back on after updating chipset driver.

Exclamation [ISSUE] Computer won't come back on after updating chipset driver.

My issue is, while trying to update my chipset driver for my Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2 motherboard. I downloaded the new driver file, started install, it required I delete the current ones, and the install continued(at least I assume it installed the new ones), and requested I restart the computer. When it came time to start back up, nothing happened, the computer lay dead. I hit the power switch, a few times, unplugged the main power, checked the surge protector, tried a hard reboot, nothing helped, and the computers still won't come on.

From some posts I've seen on the webs, not from this site, I've seen that it may be possible, to perform a "reboot" of the motherboard physically by removing the watch battery on the motherboard and playing with some jumper(?). That was a post I read for a BIOS reboot, but I'm assuming that would give me a manufacturer reboot completely.

If anyone can help me get my computer back online and possibly tell me what I did wrong, that would be aweosme. I'd like to thank anyone and everyone that helps me with this issue in advance.

GHa - new member in need of serious help.

Default Re: [ISSUE] Computer won't come back on after updating chipset driver.

A bad driver cannot usually cause the PC to not boot at all. The driver would have to actually cause a hardware defect which is pretty uncommon.
    The driver cannot cause this because no drivers or anything are loaded for the first 5-10 seconds of the boot process, the board will only start to load files to start Windows after those 5-10 seconds.

Removing the battery will cause a full reset of the BIOS settings. Shorting the CMOS clear jumper usually also resets the BIOS, but sometimes it doesn't work properly and the battery has to be removed. Without power the BIOS then cannot remember its settings and reverts to default settings.

Are you sure you just updated a driver or did you use @BIOS to update the BIOS? That could have resulted in a bad flash which basically destroys your BIOS and the BIOS is needed to boot the computer.

Yea all I did was download the chipset driver, and then install it. It told me it needed to uninstall previous drivers, and then continued on.

After that, it said it needed to start, then never did.

I've opened up the frame now, and when I hit the start button, the only sound or notice of anything happening is the small, quiet sound, that sound your tv makes when it turns on/off. Nothing else happens.

Only other thing I've updated yesterday, was a graphics driver. I was trying to figure out why my pc wouldn't play a certain game to full effect, serves me for using files from manufacturer websites. Oh well, hopefully there is osmething I can do.

You didn't flash the bios right, just the chipset drivers for the board? If so I'd try and reset the cosmos. I suggest taking out the battery for about 30 minutes and give it a shot. Also check all your power cables and make sure their properly plugged in.

Reseat your memory and or processor just for kicks. If you get it to boot you may need to reinstall your OS to get the chipset drivers.

Did you use the chipset driver from gigabyte or your cd rom?

Lets us know

Yea I'll play with it a bit later, and no, I have no idea how or what flashing the bios is. Download driver/install driver/restart computer/computer dead.

Are you still using onboard graphics? You may want to install a graphics card.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

As said above, are you SURE it was a chipset driver and not a BIOS update? Many users install the autoupdate programs and are not sure what updates they apply this is why I ask. Did you manually download and install the Intel Chipset INF Drivers, or did you use some program/Gigabyte feature to install a Driver/program?

Chipset driver would not do this, BIOS update however could and many call this driver which is another reason why I ask to be sure.

Please remove the hard drive from the computer and start the system. If it does not start then you know you updated the BIOS not the chipset driver, although if you did use the auto update Gigabyte utility it could have updated both at once without you noticing if you did not pay close attention to what was installing.

If the board will not start without the hard drive, please clear the CMOS as outlined in post #2 of this thread >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

To clear cmos page 7 of your manual has a diagram, and shows where the clear cmos jumper is located on your motherboard.
    Page 24 of your manual has instructions on how to clear cmos.
    Here is a PDF file of your manual.
    http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/..._rev.2.0_e.pdf
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Alright, I left the battery out of it all night. I also unplugged some of the connectors and reconnected them. There was no change in the activity. It's still dead.

Please try what's lsdmeasap suggests in post #7 if you haven't already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information