Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-8IPE intermittent power

Default GA-8IPE intermittent power

My GA-8IPE1000 with a 2.4ghz proc. has been a great workhorse but has problems with powering up after upgrades (memory, drives, cards). Previous upgrade tear-downs led to frustrating hours troubleshooting, then suddenly and inexplicably it worked. The PSU always tested as working. Now, after a frustrating time trying to install an SATA as primary drive with 2 IDEs, and many reboots, suddenly it won't work - again. The current PSU is a Coolmax 550B that works with a jumped connector. No rattles for errant screws, no visible problems in the cable rats' nest. It only fails after upgrades - it's reliable in service. HELP. I don't want to have to replace the board and lose another workday. Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: GA-8IPE intermittent power

In order to help you we need to know more details about what is actually happening. Please describe in detail how ti fails to work (e.g. nothing at all happens when you push the power button, or does it crash in Windows, or does it crash when Windows is loading...).

Thanks for responding. Nothing at all happens when I push the button.

Equipment: Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G rev. 4.0, barcode sticker 509074 01842 / 2.4ghz processor with oversized cooler / 2x1gb DDR PNY, 2x512mb DDR PNY 1 ea. in ea. channel / Coolermaster CX550B PSU / 2 WD 79GB IDE, 1 WD 500GB ATA HDs / Generic FDD / ??? DVD burner / Cards: IEEE1394, USB 2.0, BTC AGP, unknown front audio panel / Case is generic multi-bay putty-colored tower 46x39x19cm mod for airflow / BIOS ??? / running WINXP SP3. I don't overclock.
    I would be more specific but I can't get in to get properties.

Problem: Failure to turn on.

Occurrence: On this occasion the precondition was the that the machine was working properly and I cleaned up data and defragged the drives to prepare to add a new SATA drive. I opened up, added 2x PNY 1gb DDR, added and rearranged drives and cables, booted with Drive Copy to partition and load the 500gb WD ATA, and was struggling with how to make the machine address the ATA drive as the boot disk and both IDE channels. The machine powered up properly repeatedly as I tried different configurations, experimented with the boot sequence in the BIOS, etc. The power failure happened after I rearranged cables (again) and tried to reboot. Nothing, not even a whirr from the PSU. Because this had happened before and the PSU is oversized and less than a year old, I jumpered the connector pin 14 to 17 to test and the PSU turned on. I replugged the PSU and tried several things to no effect. I stopped for supper and returned, did something unimportant like standing the box back up or arranging cable paths, and it suddenly worked, but the drives still did not show properly. So . . . I pulled all drive cables but the SATA, checked all connections and dressed remaining cables, and it didn't work (no power), restored things and it didn't work, and eventually pulled the ATA connector and anything else I could imagine might possibly be failing or misconnected, and still no power.

History: This ALSO happened about 6 months ago when I added an IDE drive, but it began working again after I replaced a 400w Antec PSU with the Coolermaster and my frustration reached about this same level. But I never knew why it failed because I tested the Antec and it worked fine.

Any help appreciated.
    Designerguy
    [Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G 4.0, 2.4ghz, 3gb DDR PNY, Coolermaster cx550, 2 WD 79gb IDE, 1 WD 500gb ATA, BTC AGP, WINXP SP3.]

Just a wag, it may be one of your power cables has (edit: may have) a loose connection on one of the wires/pins.
    Last edited by Conners; 08-12-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks for the suggestion and it's a good one. It would account for intermittency. But I switched out the power cable with two others (and switched power strips), fussed, moved and adjusted cables and leads, but no go. I really wish that had worked. Sigh.

Well let's see how about start with the minimum. Remove everything cept ram (vid sound drives and try. if ok add vid card. if ok add sound card if ok add a drive and so on may be we can isolate the problem.
    Last edited by Conners; 08-12-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet? If not please give that a try before going to the minimal and getting the board out of the case and OFF the tray

Is this your board (Or similar, even if not you should have the pins)
    GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-8IPE1000-G (Rev 4.x)

If so, I checked the manual and you have a clear CMOS pin, so please use my suggested method for clearing your CMOS in post #2 of this guide
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Bingo - you win the prize! I pulled off the jumper and power-up! Uh, now I can't shut it off without shutting down the PSU - just beeps and continues running. The case switch is a push-on push-off so you don't know which state it is in, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Can I assume it is something I can tweak in the CMOS settings in the BIOS utility at startup? I'll plug in the display and see what I get. Thanks thanks thanks.

So, okay, it worked once. I shut down, and it wouldn't run again. I don't know how it relates to the CMOS, but I guess I have a case switch problem. After shut down it failed to start again. So I went where I should have begun: I jumpered the case switch pins on the front panel block and it powered up. I learned it is a temporary. If you leave the jumper on it shuts down, but if you pull it immediately after start it runs the memory check. Then if you reapply it, the computer shuts down. So all of this doesn't seem to be a Gigabyte problem. My case switch is a little 8mm square mini-pushbutton that takes pressure from a case-front button. Now to find a switch source. Any ideas? -- and many thanks again.

Just wondering when you said you jumpered the connector pin 14 to 17 to test and the PSU turned on, is that the power switch?

I'd try places like Performance-PC, Directron, maybe Newegg and so on. you probably want a momentary on/off NO push switch. But just my guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information