Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the F8H bios work on the UD5 without the hardmod?

Default Does the F8H bios work on the UD5 without the hardmod?

I have downloaded the F8H bios, but I didn't know if I could use it since I have not done the hard mod.
    Is it safe to use?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Does the F8H bios work on the UD5 without the hardmod?

Yes, but that BIOS was broken (Intel gave wrong Microcode to the Engineers)

Please see the BIOS thread again as the new Final BIOS's for the X58 series have been posted, so F8 Final for UD5 is available now
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

The hard mod special BIOS was ONLY F8x UD5 and F9x UD4P, all that followed are just general Beta releases

The Hard Mod will still be needed for any board except UD3R Rev 1.6 to pass 103 PCIE

So can I use the F8 final bios along with the hard mod to exceed 103 pcie? I am eager to get past 222 bclk. Also, where can I get the instructions for the mod?

Ohh ya, if you have the hardmod done you can use any BIOS, just the F*x versions allowed setting more than 103 PCIE in the BIOS, the others you would use SetFSB to raise the PCIE After booting.

I have used older and beta's before the f*x versions with the mod no problem, you just use SetFSB to adjust PCIE. See here I used F9c BIOS which has the PCIE Locked in the BIOS to 103
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/post...tml#post307569

I am not sure, since I have not tested yet, if you can set the PCIE Higher in the BIOS for the new versions yet or not. I have a few more things to run on this BIOS for a memory review before I will be testing the newer BIOS's

Instructions for the mod are under Gigabyte NDA right now, you can either ask Hicookie here at XS. PM him and he may send you the Mod info >>
    BCLK 235 / PCIe 130 with GIGABYTE MB - XtremeSystems Forums

Or just Google "Bloodrage X58 PCIE Mod", it's the same mod and the first link will show you the mod.

Ok, I will give it a shot. the mod looks easy enough. I have registerd at XS (about a week ago), but I am in queue though, so i cannot contact anyone.

I think I can manage.

my F7 bios doesnt have the PCIe locked though. I can set it to whatever I want (but it wont post), so i can possibly use the F7 with the mod?

Its not a big deal, but I have 3 ultra kaze 3000 all off the CPU fan header, and any other bios I have tried has not been able to control all 3 at once, but the F7 can. (I just need to get a fan controller)

TRUST ME, it is NOT Easy!! So if you have not ever soldered anything before be sure you think twice about that. I had a second board sent to me because I could not get it, then two weeks later after MANY Tries I got it finally. It is VERY Small!!!! I ended up doing another board as well, tooks 2 minutes and one try after finally getting that one. Of course I am no solder pro, but that thing is VERY SMALL.

So just keep that in mind, if you can't get it you wont have a board.

Well the BIOS is locked, you can always set to to whatever, but it wont boot. That is normal locked BIOS. The QPI wall without the Mod is what limits the PCIE Freq not the BIOS itself. But of course without the special BIOS's or possibly the new ones even after the mod you can only set 103 and the rest would need to be done in windows.

Ya, like I said you can use any BIOS with the MOD you just can't set more than 103 PCIE in all the BIOS's. You will need to use SetFSB to change the PCIE freq (Use this ClockGen ICS9LPRS918BKL)

Good luck with the mod!

ya, my soldering experience in limited to fixing power jacks on laptop mainboards, but that doesnt require too much finesse. I am practicing on some resistors on a scrap laptop board. I think they are smaller than the ud5s resistors, so if I can get good at these, the ud5 should be fine...I am hoping.

K, Good luck man! That's what I did before even trying the first time, lots of practice on old SATA board and old motherboards and I thought for sure I had it down no problem. Removing and putting back, came off just fine on the board but putting it back was an issue for sure!!

Could have just been my iron though, I have two very small tips and I think the first week or so I may have been trying with the one that was way to small.

Keep a clean work environment so you don't loose the resistor, they like to fly/jump around when trying to hold down or grab with tweezers. I even had Needle point ones I special ordered and I still lost them once or twice.

If you need to know a good place for some cheap nice surgical pointed tweezers let me know, they are cheap prices and fast shipping.

Good luck!!!

Hey, I am still practicing, but I think I am getting better, and have a method to do it.

I was wondering though, about how much time can I keep the iron on it before I damage the resistor?
    This is the iron I am using:
    Cordless Battery-Powered Soldering Iron - RadioShack.com

Also, incase I destroy the resistor, what could I use to replace it? what is it rated at?

And one more thing, how long till I can get activated at XS? I have been waiting for over a week, and I still cannot post. I clicked the link in the email they sent when I registered.

I would like to ask hicookie for the instructions (just so I am sure, and it matches with what I have found so far), but am unable too.

It is 1K ohm

I don't think it will get damaged very easy, I used a 25W and tried MANY times on my first board to get it soldered back on. Even got the resistor stuck on the end of the iron a few times. Of course it may have damaged it, but it all works fine so I assume it is ok.

I can PM Vapor the admin there for you and see if he can push your registration through if you like. If so you will need to give me your user name you used there and the email (You can send PM if you like). I have had to do that for a few users, they use an automated system there and often if you use a normal hotmail/yahoo ect it can take some time for the system to decide if you are a bot or not.

What specifically are you wanting to check about the Mod? I may be able to answer some things for you, but I'd have to know what you are unsure of before I could decide if I could say or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information