Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ma790xt-ud4p ram issue

Default ma790xt-ud4p ram issue

Ok the mobo I have is a ma790xt-ud4p.
    The ram I have is corsair tw3x2g1600c9dhx
    factory settings are supposed to be 1600, 1.8v, 9-9-9-24
    but the mobo sets it at 1066, 1.5v, 7-7-7-20

when I set it to factory setting I got a bosd within 30 minutes. And leaving it at mobo setting I have not had one yet.

I am cool with the lower setting as I want stable ram and rely on cpu and videocard for speed. But am concerned that it does not work at factory setting, and if this may mean long term issues.

I run xp svp3 home edition and the cpu is the Athalon II duo core 250 3ghz ( the new am3 fitting duo core from amd ) in case any of that influences this.

I had previously purchased a msi board, but it proved to have a faulty lan, and ram issues regardless of setting. I assume the board was bad. But the bsods have left me rather nervous.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: ma790xt-ud4p ram issue

You must set your own settings (Voltages and Memory Multiplier/timings) to get 1600Mhz ram speed.

Are you not sure how to do that, or did you not try yet?

Quote Originally Posted by incubuspawn View Post
    when I set it to factory setting I got a bosd within 30 minutes. And leaving it at mobo setting I have not had one yet.
    So yes I did try that, and that is when I got the blue screen of death.

What are you setting? And can you provide a link to your ram, thanks.

You can post pics of your BIOS Settings if you dont want to manually write them out here, sorry I don't have any AMD Templates

Link to memory

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TW3X2G1600C9DHX.pdf

the bios info I think you are looking for. these are the settings the bios seems to want and has not crashed yet.

cpu clock [auto] 3000mhz
    cpu northbridge [auto] 2000mhz
    cpu freaquency 200
    httime 200
    memory clock x5.33 1066
    cas#latency 7t
    ras latency 7t
    row recharge 7t
    min ras active time 20t
    bank swizzle mode enabled

normal cpu vcore 1.35v

a link to my cpu I have the 250 AMD Athlon? II X2 Processor Model Numbers and Comparisons

I think I answered my question witht he last link. the chip only supports memory up to 1066. So even overclocking it ( I wont do that ) probably won't matter. There is a 550 black box edition I would get if I was willing to oc.

I am ok with the above, as since the cpu is a am3 chipset, when I find the quad core at price and speeed I want I can just up the memory at that time. IHMO memory is for stability anyway, use cpu and vid card for speed. but that may be just me.

I do have a major concern however. The voltage. Am I looking at memory damage for running it at 1.5 rather than 1.8? I have not tried just changing the voltage yet ( lesving everything else bios ) I amkind of afraid to at this point, unless some solid advice tells me its ok that is.

Well you may be able to raise the ram speed by overclocking, not sure how AMD Specs go. I do know some say only 1066 and will go more but others wont. So you would need to test that to be sure, or google around and see what you find.

Your ram will be fine ran underclocked and undervolted. DDR3 JEDEC Specifications are 1.5V @1066 anyway so the ram should default to that without you loading a profile anyway. You are fine like that if you plan to wait for a better CPU

If you did want to test if your CPU will allow a higher speed that 1066, set your ram voltage to 1.8 and raise your HT or NB Voltage a few notches and then change your Memory clock to 8.00 and see if it will run 1600. You may also want to test 1333 first or later if 1600 wont work. Of course you will also need to raise your main memory timings to spec as well before trying the higher speeds.

Thread Information