Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3P Stuttering problem - Help!

Default Re: EP45-UD3P Stuttering problem - Help!

The hard drive activity is either ReadyBoost/ReadyBoot or the Windows Search Indexer.

The search indexer can be disabled from the services configuration menu (right click My Computer and hit Manage). It's enabled by default, and unless you search a lot by both file name and the contents of the file (useful for a company running databases, spreadsheets) you can disable it. Other services can be disabled too if you don't use them, such as Netbios helpar, and if you don't have a printer, the print spooler etc.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    If you are using those ports, then I can post you an updated driver that should work fine. Never use the CD drivers for anything on any product and on the Gigabyte CD don't ever use Express Install because it installs all drivers, needed or not.
    Well, everything worked great till I shut the computer down and fired it back up a few hours later. Now I'm back to the very very beginning problem with the system stuttering. Seems the problem is if I disable/uninstall the "Gigabyte GBB36X Controller", or switch it over to the generic dual PCI IDE channel controller, I lose my DVDROM and IDE HD. (which are plugged into the IDE of the MB)

If I disable/uninstall the RAID controller, then for some reason I lose my CDROM/RW drive that is attached to the PCI IDE card. So I may have to bite the bullet and buy a SATA CDROM drive or DVDROM drive to get rid of the PCI card.

Can you please give me a link to that alternate driver you mentioned above? That way I can try that out before I start taking more extreme steps. Thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Why do you not have the CD rom on the Intel Ports 4/5 again? This is where you should put them if you have room.

Drivers are not needed for the Gigabyte ports/controller at all, unless you have that set to AHCI or RAID. Of course one is installed, but I just meant by default you should not need to install one is all.

The alternate updated direct driver is here at J.Micron >>
    ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/

Both the CDROM and the DVDROM drives are IDE as well as 1 of my harddrives. Since the MB only has one IDE slot, I can only plug in 2 of them straight into the board. (DVDROM and HD) I had to buy a PCI IDE expansion card to be able to plug in the CDROM drive.

I'm looking at the link you gave me and there's a lot of different versions of this driver on here. Which one should I be downloading? JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.49_WHQL_eSATA.zip? Or is it this one R1.17.50.02.zip?
    Last edited by Esch; 08-19-2009 at 04:42 AM.

I haven't updated the driver yet (see above post.)

I'm looking at replacement drives to ween me off of IDE, so will probably get a DVD Burner that burns CD-Rs as well, that way I can knock out two birds with one stone and get rid of my CDROM and DVDROM drives.

The question I have is this: I have 1 free yellow SATA slot left on the MB. There's the 2 purple SATA connectors above the yellow ones that are still free. Is it safe to use those for stuff or do I leave those alone and just buy a SATA expansion card or something?

Thanks again!

Well that is up to you which you use, and I am not sure which would suffice your use of the ports? Here is a little bit about what each actually is >>

RX.XX.XX - Driver would get eSATA setting from BIOS/Option Rom.
    RX.XX.XX_eSATA - Driver would report all Device connected as Removable Device with WriteCache Enabled.
    RX.XX.XX_eSATA_WriteCacheDisabled - Driver would report all Device connected as Removable Device with WriteCache Disabled.
    RX.XX.XX_No_eSATA - Driver would report all Device connected as Fix Device.

Yes, you can use those other ports, depending on what all you have already on the Yellow ones would decide where you would put things if adding an additional one to the yellow. Hard drives should go first on 0-x and CD/DVD drives should go on the last few 4/5. Of course if you do not use a CD/DVD Drive or want to move that to the purple so that you can use all the yellow's for hard drives that would also be fine

The purple ports can be used anyway you like, depending on which driver you choose above and what you set in the BIOS

No Expansion card is needed, unless you run out of ports that is

Well that is up to you which you use, and I am not sure which would suffice your use of the ports? Here is a little bit about what each actually is >>

RX.XX.XX - Driver would get eSATA setting from BIOS/Option Rom.
    RX.XX.XX_eSATA - Driver would report all Device connected as Removable Device with WriteCache Enabled.
    RX.XX.XX_eSATA_WriteCacheDisabled - Driver would report all Device connected as Removable Device with WriteCache Disabled.
    RX.XX.XX_No_eSATA - Driver would report all Device connected as Fix Device.

Yes, you can use those other ports, depending on what all you have already on the Yellow ones would decide where you would put things if adding an additional one to the yellow. Hard drives should go first on 0-x and CD/DVD drives should go on the last few 4/5. Of course if you do not use a CD/DVD Drive or want to move that to the purple so that you can use all the yellow's for hard drives that would also be fine

The purple ports can be used anyway you like, depending on which driver you choose above and what you set in the BIOS

No Expansion card is needed, unless you run out of ports that is
    Well what I plan to do is buy a new DVD burner that also burns CD-Rs, that way I can remove one of the IDE devices all together. I want to keep the other DVD-ROM drive on IDE just so I have 2 opticals for copying discs and what not. The IDE HD will stay as is. So by removing the current CD-RW drive, I can remove the IDE PCI card entirely and just have the other 2 remain on the one IDE cable plugged right into the MB.

Now 2 of my SATA yellows are being taken up by that external eSATA thing that comes with the MB that hooks to the back of the case, so I can move those 2 plugs up to the purples to free up the yellow SATA slots.

Now given this situation above, would the RX.XX.XX_No_eSATA be what I want to install since everything plugged into them is fixed since they're all internal, or did I misunderstand that?

Good plan, DVD Drives are nice and cheap anyway! I'd just get rid of them both myself, you only need one drive to copy disks, but if you must have tow a DVD-ROM SATA Wouldn't cost you much either (maybe $20-30)

You can remove that bracket all together if you want, do you use it? I never use mine, so just wondered. I leave them in the box always.

Yes your assumptions would be correct if you plan to use nothing external on the purple ports, and do not wish to see the Safely remove Icon

Good plan, DVD Drives are nice and cheap anyway! I'd just get rid of them both myself, you only need one drive to copy disks, but if you must have tow a DVD-ROM SATA Wouldn't cost you much either (maybe $20-30)

You can remove that bracket all together if you want, do you use it? I never use mine, so just wondered. I leave them in the box always.

Yes your assumptions would be correct if you plan to use nothing external on the purple ports, and do not wish to see the Safely remove Icon
    I guess I can remove the eSATA bracket. I haven't used it yet but it was there "just in case." The thing is the case came with an eSATA connection, which I use for my external backup HD, so I really don't need that bracket.

Oh wait, glad I thought of that. That eSATA connection that is part of my case plugs into the yellow slot on the MB, so that would mean that No_eSATA driver wouldn't work I guess. So which of the last 3 you mention would I need then? What's the writecache for in this regard?

Yes, there is really no need to use it unless you connect and disconnect devices to it daily

Write Cache enabled is a setting that helps speed up writing to the disk, not really needed for a backup situation but you could use it anyway

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information