Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X48-DS4 & Q9550...Need OC'ing Help

Smile X48-DS4 & Q9550...Need OC'ing Help

Hi, I'm new to this forum and was directed here by Gigabyte Tech support to try and get some help with my Over-clocking problems.
    I have a X48-DS4 that I have had running for the past year with a C2D E8500@3.16GHz. I just upgraded it to a Q9550 and felt the need for a mild to medium OC. The quad is running (currently at stock speed), and does not seem to be getting much better performance than the previous E8500.
    I first tried using the utility Easy Tune 6, which netted a very small OC from stock (CPU 2.83mhz/FSB 333mhz) to (2.94mhz/FSB 346mhz) with my memory going from 1066mhz to 1107mhz and all seemed to be running fine.
    Anything that I tried above those setting would give me a black screen and major artifacts. The temps seemed to be OK, but not sure, since I was monitoring them with ET6.
    Can the (Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide) be used as a guide for my X48 board ?...if so, I sense there is much more needed to obtain a good stable OC that what I am presently doing.
    I was under the impression when I bought this MB, one of it's features was that it was a good OC'er and very stable motherboard. And now pairing it up with a Q9550, I was looking for some decent OC'ing results.

My system specs : NZXT ATX mid-tower w/ 3 Antec 120mm fans // Gigabyte X48-DS4 // Intel C2Q-9550@2.83mhz // 2x(4GB packs) G.Skill DDR2 1066 PC-2 8500 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v // HIS 4890 925(core)/1025(memory) // Zalman CNPS9700 // ABS Tagan BZ900w modular PSU w/135mm fan // (2) WD Cavair SE16 640GB 7200rpm SATA HHD // Windows Vista Ultimate x64 w/ SP-2 //LITE-ON 20x DVD burner // Thermaltake 80mm Duel PCI slot fan // 1 Floppy // 23" LG Flatron LCD // X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro.

This is probably more info than needed, but I figure it can't hurt...
    Thank you, Stasio and Lsdmeasap, for your earlier suggestions and replys and any help that can point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.....

Thxxx....

*+

Just RELAX...and take life one game at a time...
    C2Q9550 @ 2.83Mhz // Gigabyte X48-DS4 // HIS 4890 @ 925/1050 // 4 x 2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 PC-2 8500 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v // ABS Tagan BZ900w Modular PSU // Zalman CNPS9700 // (2) WD Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 16mb cache // LITE-ON 20x DVD // NZXT Apollo w/ (3) Antec 120mm case fans // Thermaltake 80mm Duel PCi Slot fan // X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro // Vista Ultimate x64 Sp-2 // BIOS version F2 // LG 2353v 2ms HDMI full HD 1080p w/50,000 : 1 // Logitech Z-5300 5.1 surround sound // Saitek Eclipse // Razor Diamondback Plasma

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X48-DS4 & Q9550...Need OC'ing Help

Yes that guide is meant for your board X38 and X48 are the same minus some bells and whistles. So you are good to go in reading it and following the steps shown.

Have you already started overclocking with your BIOS yet using that guide? If not you should start there, then post your full settings you get stuck at here and we can advise back.

Other than that guide, I can just give you settings if you dont want to learn but you will still have to tweak and little (Maybe a lot) to find stability from what I suggest.

If you would like suggested settings please let us know what speed you want to try to run and we will advise back.

Thumbs up Re: X48-DS4 & Q9550...Need OC'ing Help

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes that guide is meant for your board X38 and X48 are the same minus some bells and whistles. So you are good to go in reading it and following the steps shown.

Have you already started overclocking with your BIOS yet using that guide? If not you should start there, then post your full settings you get stuck at here and we can advise back.

Other than that guide, I can just give you settings if you dont want to learn but you will still have to tweak and little (Maybe a lot) to find stability from what I suggest.

If you would like suggested settings please let us know what speed you want to try to run and we will advise back.
    Sorry for not replying back sooner Lsdmeasap...last two days at work have been double shifts and I wasn't able to respond back to your msg.

I am in the process of reviewing your Oc'ing guide again to make sure I have everything in order. As of now I haven't done any actual over-clocking thru the BIOS following the guide, I'll work on that over the weekend.

I would also appreciate that list of OC settings you mentioned. I think that would be useful as guide-line reference to look at when I'm actually over-clocking in the BIOS...I was thinking of giving the system a mild to medium OC, somewhere from above 3GHz to 3.6GHz, depending where things stable out.

It's very nice of you to offer me this list of suggested settings and I'm sure it can come in really handy, but I want to be able to learn and understand what is really happing and how to make adjustments. Using your guide looks like it can do that.

Once I get comfortable with the information and have the suggested tools in place to test over-clocking, I'll post back with full settings and what results I come up with........

Can't thank you enough for your help ! .........

Diesel

*+

C2Q9550 @ 2.83Mhz // Gigabyte X48-DS4 // HIS 4890 @ 925/1050 // 4 x 2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 PC-2 8500 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v // ABS Tagan BZ900w Modular PSU // Zalman CNPS9700 // (2) WD Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 16mb cache // LITE-ON 20x DVD // NZXT Apollo w/ (3) Antec 120mm case fans // Thermaltake 80mm Duel PCi Slot fan // X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro // Vista Ultimate x64 Sp-2 // BIOS version F2 // LG 2353v 2ms HDMI full HD 1080p w/50,000 : 1 // Logitech Z-5300 5.1 surround sound // Saitek Eclipse // Razor Diamondback Plasma

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

The Q9550 easily overclocks to 3.60 - 3.90GHz. You can go higher, but over 4.0GHz takes a lot more work and stability testing.

1) List your system components in your signature.
    --> User CP tab (upper left corner of web page)
    --> select Edit Signature
    --> enter your hardware components (brand, model, etc.)
    --> include your bios version
    --> preview
    --> Save when complete

2) Link to your ram's full specifications.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    The Q9550 easily overclocks to 3.60 - 3.90GHz. You can go higher, but over 4.0GHz takes a lot more work and stability testing.

1) List your system components in your signature.
    --> User CP tab (upper left corner of web page)
    --> select Edit Signature
    --> enter your hardware components (brand, model, etc.)
    --> include your bios version
    --> preview
    --> Save when complete

2) Link to your ram's full specifications.
    Probably a good solid OC in the mid 3's will be fine enough for me right now. When I get more familiar with OC'ing techniques and possibly upgrade to a new and higher end system down the road, then maybe I'll venture into the higher realms of OC'ing....

Below is the link to my rams specs...
    DDR2
    and I listed my system specs in my sig as you requested, if I omitted any important info please let me know.

I have all the utilities for monitoring downloaded and installed in the desktop folder that you recommended. A few of the links provided were no longer accessible from your original post, so I just went directly to the site to download.

The only one I had trouble with was memtest86+....kept coming up with a WinZip error : internal error processing iso image.
    I'll go back and try to download it again to see if that works.

I also installed MemSet40 and real temps, not sure if those are needed and I also went to download Speed Fan, but had trouble with that also...really don't know why, but you didn't list it, so I probably don't need.

No worries about the late reply, I am guilty of often getting behind myself!!

What links need updated? I can update them

Memtest86+ 2.11
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

You get an error there? If so which are you downloading? If you are downloading the CD ISO you only need to extract it Once then burn as an image. If you did only extract it once and still had issue let me know, if so I can upload you a ISO Image without it being in a zip file if you like.

Speedfan I don't like, so no listing :) I use Everest Ultimate myself, easy tune and CPU-z that's it for normal things. You can get the latest of MANY Tools here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

You linked different ram then what is in your signature and then what you mentioned in your first post. Which ram do you have to be sure?

Well here is some settings at 3.4Ghz for you to work with, of course as you said please do try yourself first from what you learn on the guide. Thought I would pick something in the middle area of your 3.0-3.6, if you would like 3.0 or 3.6 instead let me know

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto] or Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [425] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00] = 900Mhz 
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4/5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

^^ You may be able to use 455-12 or 455-15 since this is underclocked, that is why I mentioned them, but possibly not due to the ram amount.  Or just use 555-12/15 for now and mess with this later on ^^

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-8
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-10
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 54-62 (Use 64-82 to begin with)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7/8-9
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] =2.1V, you may need to use 2.15-2.2 or more with 8GB, depending on speed and timings.  Less may also be possible when underclocked depending on timings.
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V-0.35] << Needed for 8GB of ram
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.xx] << All up to you and your CPU, maybe 1.25-1.35 for only 3.4, but could be more or less.  Maybe even up to 1.425+ for 3.6+

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-16-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Smile Re: X48-DS4 & Q9550...Need OC'ing Help

No worries about the late reply, I am guilty of often getting behind myself!!

What links need updated? I can update them

Memtest86+ 2.11
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

You get an error there? If so which are you downloading? If you are downloading the CD ISO you only need to extract it Once then burn as an image. If you did only extract it once and still had issue let me know, if so I can upload you a ISO Image without it being in a zip file if you like.

Speedfan I don't like, so no listing :) I use Everest Ultimate myself, easy tune and CPU-z that's it for normal things. You can get the latest of MANY Tools here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

You linked different ram then what is in your signature and then what you mentioned in your first post. Which ram do you have to be sure?

Well here is some settings at 3.4Ghz for you to work with, of course as you said please do try yourself first from what you learn on the guide. Thought I would pick something in the middle area of your 3.0-3.6, if you would like 3.0 or 3.6 instead let me know

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto] or Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [425] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00] = 900Mhz 
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4/5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

^^ You may be able to use 455-12 or 455-15 since this is underclocked, that is why I mentioned them, but possibly not due to the ram amount.  Or just use 555-12/15 for now and mess with this later on ^^

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-8
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-10
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 54-62 (Use 64-82 to begin with)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7/8-9
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] =2.1V, you may need to use 2.15-2.2 or more with 8GB, depending on speed and timings.  Less may also be possible when underclocked depending on timings.
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V-0.35] << Needed for 8GB of ram
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.xx] << All up to you and your CPU, maybe 1.25-1.35 for only 3.4, but could be more or less.  Maybe even up to 1.425+ for 3.6+

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    Sorry...my mistake about link to memtest86+ (I am just having trouble with opening that ISO (.zip) file, the link is fine. Not sure if i was downloading the CD ISO. I just DL the zip file that was the most current version.

I was having problems with connecting to www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/coretemp/ and techPowerUp : Intel thermal Analysis tool, which I tried to access from TPU but had no luck.

I was sure the memory specs were the same (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR2 1066 Pc-2 8500 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v (had to set the timing manually to Fac specs in the BIOS)
    I ran these utilities, maybe this will give you a better idea.... maybe not.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...empsSpeeds.jpg

You also mentioned about installing Easy Tune 5...I already have ET6, do I need both ?... and I agree with you about Speed Fan, had it installed once before (running on my other system, E6600, 8800GTX, ASUS P5E DH Deluxe) and didn't care for it.

Also the profile you gave me for settings at 3.4Ghz are cool for now, though I will most likely use it as a comparison when making adjustments through the BIOS....

Can't thank you for all your help with this.......

Ahh well there is several types of the latest version and a few zipped, such as floppy, ISO, Binary, USB, ect.

This is the direct link to the CD ISO, extract once and you will have the ISO. If you still have any issues extracting let me know and I will upload just the ISO File for you
    http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11...+-2.11.iso.zip

Intel Thermal Analysis Tool wont work for your CPU anyway so no need to worry there.

CoreTemp you can download the latest here at the homepage
    Core Temp

Or get RealTemp (Suggested) here
    Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors - XtremeSystems Forums

About your memory specs, you can either give me the model # off the sticker or you can download CPU-z and post me an image of the SPD Tab and then I can find the right memory page for you. What you linked is 1000Mhz/PC2-8000 not 1066Mhz/PC2-8500, that's why I asked to be sure

I don't think I mentioned EasyTune 5? But no, you only need version 6. Here is the latest version, please update to be sure you are using the latest. You will have to uninstall the current version you are using before installing the new one.

Version B9.0723.1
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Utility

Here is the page for all Gigabyte tools, so you can bookmark and check for updates once or twice a month

Hope this helps and like I said post back anytime if you need that ISO or further help.

Good luck tweaking and learning!!

Ahh well there is several types of the latest version and a few zipped, such as floppy, ISO, Binary, USB, ect.

This is the direct link to the CD ISO, extract once and you will have the ISO. If you still have any issues extracting let me know and I will upload just the ISO File for you
    http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11...+-2.11.iso.zip

Intel Thermal Analysis Tool wont work for your CPU anyway so no need to worry there.

CoreTemp you can download the latest here at the homepage
    Core Temp

Or get RealTemp (Suggested) here
    Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors - XtremeSystems Forums

About your memory specs, you can either give me the model # off the sticker or you can download CPU-z and post me an image of the SPD Tab and then I can find the right memory page for you. What you linked is 1000Mhz/PC2-8000 not 1066Mhz/PC2-8500, that's why I asked to be sure

I don't think I mentioned EasyTune 5? But no, you only need version 6. Here is the latest version, please update to be sure you are using the latest. You will have to uninstall the current version you are using before installing the new one.

Version B9.0723.1

Here is the page for all Gigabyte tools, so you can bookmark and check for updates once or twice a month

Hope this helps and like I said post back anytime if you need that ISO or further help.

Good luck tweaking and learning!!
    I was able to download and extract the Cd ISO but I'm just have a terrible time with the zip file getting it to open. I tried burning it to a CD but failed..I have a Floppy drive and may have a few floppy discs around, I'll give that a try. Just can't figure it out...but I'm very bad with WinZip and zip files, so it's probably me.....

Other than memtest86+ .... I have all the other utilities you suggested, (Real temp, Core temp, ET6 etc.) except for the Intel thermal Analysis Tool, which you said wasn't necessary. I also did some searching on that and found comments by people in other forums that it wasn't compatible for Vista and served no useful purpose.

I had bookmarked that link for Gigabye download and support as you suggested, so I can refer back to it for any updates I may need...and If I didn't already mention my BIOS is updated to what seems to be the most current version (F2)...I see that there is a new F3v, but it's listed as a Beta, so I'm not giong to be concerned with that at this time.

The only thing I have a tough time with at the moment is that ISO .zip file for memtest86+...like I said earlier, I do have MemSet 4.0, but that seems to be a totally different utility.

Though I'm moving slowly...I am making progress with this...Thxxx a ton !

Sorry about the confusion on the memory specs...this should clear it up...

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...18/CPUzET6.jpg

*+

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Try using 7zip (freeware) to expand the iso.zip file.
    Once you've extracted the file, you'll burn the .iso file (not the .zip file) directly to a CD or DVD disk.
    You will want to download the 64-bit version of 7zip.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information