Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P Dual channel memory fails and restarts.

Default GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P Dual channel memory fails and restarts.

i have a customers new computer build with the GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P and im having a world of issues. he bought 8GB (4x2gb) of Gskill ddr2 1066 5-5-5-15 and it all turned out to be bad (all 4 sticks came up with multiple errors on more than one computer in memtest 3.5) but that's not my problem.

When all 4 turned out bad i suspected the motherboard might be causing issues so i tested 2 sets of ram known to be working. 2x2gb of corsair ddr2 800 and 2x2gb ocz reaper 1066. all 4 sticks pass memtest with more than one pass with no errors when used alone, but the second i try to test 2 sticks in dual channel mode it crashes within the first few seconds of memtest and auto-reboots.

I am updated to the latest bios (i think its f6)
    ive manually set all the timings and voltages to the correct settings for each type of ram. (all of them 5-5-5-15 gskill 2.1v corsair 1.9v and ocz 2.2v
    ive cycled all the motherboard slots and have had sticks pass in each of them.

the CPU is an amd 940 am2+ 3GHZ

anyone have any ideas? im thinking i may have a bad mobo.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P Dual channel memory fails and restarts.

Please first try Memtest86+ 2.11 before you decide they are bad, may just be that program >>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

2x2GB (Or more) does require some other manual changes in the BIOS, are you making any of these? You need to set ram voltage to spec of course, and then for 4GB or more you often need to increase your North Bridge or Memory controller voltage/HT Link Voltage, and sometimes you also need to raise your tRFC if the board does not itself. You may need to use 195ns or 327ns tRFC, this and NB Voltage may be your issues with your dual channel tests. Also, what do you have Ganged/Unganged set to for Dual channel? Used Ganged, but also do test unganged if you have issues.

As for 8GB, you likely wont be able to run all that at 1066Mhz, just so you know now.

i have never needed to mess with the north bridge settings or memory controller voltage before. what is a safe amount to increase them? a tick or two? figured i should ask since some parts are more sensitive than others. thanks for the ideas though. ill try memtest86+ today.

Ahh well then that could be the whole issue since you did not adjust those.

Sorry I can't offer direct advice about your board's BIOS Settings but I do not use AMD myself so I can only offer guesstimates of what should work from helping other AMD Users.

F 4GB I would say you will need to adjust your NB one to three increments rise above stock, and possibly 3-5 increments for 8GB. For 8GB you may also need to use Ram voltage a little above the ram specs.

Be sure you also adjust tRFC (Refresh to Act Delay)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Im running memtest86+ right now and it did NOT crash immediately in dual channel mode with my corsair 2x2gb ddr2 800. i changed it to ganged, +1 increment on north bridge and set all settings to manual even if the auto was fine. memtest86 3.5 still crashes right away in dual channel though. so it looks like the main problem was the program... ill check the Gskill ram for errors now with 86+

Yeah that is why I suggested Memtest86+, it is more up to date for newer boards. It could still be the voltages and adjustments that are helping too though. Not sure but I know on Intel boards that older version of memtest without the 86+ does not work anymore on certain chipsets/CPU's.

Thread Information