Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X48-DQ6 having ati2dvag errors and infinate loops

Default X48-DQ6 having ati2dvag errors and infinate loops

Getting ati2dvag errors when I try to play games. The computer either hangs, resets or the monitor goes into standby mode for a bit before it drops out to windows. Once there its in the most basic resolution with the most basic colours and a pop up says the ati2dvag has stopped working normally and that I need to reset pc. And when I checked the event viewer it says its getting stuck in an infinate loop.

Built the system 2 days ago..only changed 3 components from the previous build. Motherboard, cpu and ram. All brand new. And I set windows up identical to how it was on the previous build. Was a completely fresh install of everything with no errors. So I know there must be an issue between the mobo and the gpu. I've tried deleting the ati drivers and booting to safe mode and completely cleaning them out with Driver Cleaner Pro. Then only installing the driver without the Catalyst Control Center. I've tried turning the hardware acceleration down. I've tried turning write combining off. And I've gone through bios to make sure everything is at standard settings. And I updated everything with windows update. I'm at a loss.

System is as follows:

OS: Windows XP Pro SP3 (+ I installed netframework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0)
    Processor: Core 2 duo E8400
    RAM: 2Gig Dominator PC8500
    Motherboard: GA-X48-DQ6 (Rev 1.3)
    Graphics card: Sapphire HD4770 (using catalyst 9.7 driver)
    PSU: Silverstone ELEMENT 500W

Everything is at its standard settings. No overclocks or voltage tweaks or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to send the mobo back for a refund if at all possible.
    Last edited by Fizzban; 08-16-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X48-DQ6 having ati2dvag errors and infinate loops

This can be caused by many things. I would go ahead and install the latest drivers first

Then can you please check to be sure your card is not overheating.

What BIOS version are you using on your board? I do recommend you update to the latest one if you are not using it now. F8e is posted here >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...41/index2.html

Please use Qflash to update your BIOS, not @BIOS. Here is a guide
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

As for your settings, did you make any adjustments for your ram in the BIOS? If not you may need to at least set your ram voltage manually to the specified amount. That's only 2GB you have right? Just checking

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    This can be caused by many things. I would go ahead and install the latest drivers first

Then can you please check to be sure your card is not overheating.

What BIOS version are you using on your board? I do recommend you update to the latest one if you are not using it now. F8e is posted here >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...41/index2.html

Please use Qflash to update your BIOS, not @BIOS. Here is a guide
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

As for your settings, did you make any adjustments for your ram in the BIOS? If not you may need to at least set your ram voltage manually to the specified amount. That's only 2GB you have right? Just checking
    Yup only 2GB of ram. Ah I think the bios version is F6. I have updated everything else and the graphics card hits 60-65 C under load so its defiantly not overheating.

I'm cool with flashing the bios but I've never touched voltages before. I went into the bios but it didn't seem to say what voltage its at now so I don't know how much I should add to get it to the 2.1 volts they can apparently take. So what should I do ? Thanks for the reply btw :)

Your ram voltage, if spec is 2.1V would be setting of +0.3 (1.8V Default +0.3 = 2.1V)

I'd go ahead and update your BIOS, please follow the guide so you get it all flashed safely and properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Your ram voltage, if spec is 2.1V would be setting of +0.3 (1.8V Default +0.3 = 2.1V)

I'd go ahead and update your BIOS, please follow the guide so you get it all flashed safely and properly.
    Will do. I'll go check that thread just to be sure. I have flashed an asus board before but it can't hurt to be 100%

Check back in here in a bit and let ya know how it went.

Good luck, be sure if you are using RAID that you go back to the BIOS after loading optimized defaults and rebooting and change your settings back to RAID. Noted heavily in the guide of course.

Voltage adjusted and bios successfully flashed. Guess now I just need to go game a bit and see what happens.

Nice to see you had no issues!

Post back anytime with your findings or if you need more advice on things

Thank you. Its always a little worrying flashing the bios but it went flawlessly. Unfortunately its made not a bit of difference. Still getting the same errors. They happen in windows environment too. Just takes longer to happen. In game though it usually happens in the first couple of minutes.

Since I made the original post I did a fresh install onto a different HD just to rule out a bad install or a dodgy HD. I also only installed the bare essentials and left out SP3. That also made no difference what-so-ever. I'm stumped.

Edit: Oh the temps on my graphics card were actually from a really hot night so I checked again while gaming and they were only 54C. Pretty damn good.
    Last edited by Fizzban; 08-16-2009 at 08:02 PM.

These kind of errors can occur either from excessive heat (not an issue with your temps) or an unstable clock speed on either GPU or VRAM. Have you used Overdrive to overclock the graphics card? If so I'd recommend backing off by 10MHz on each setting and try running some more games. If the issue doesn't occur, raise clocks until it does, then lower by 3-4MHZ for a little safety margin.

If you have everything at stock, I'd try un-installing the ATI driver suite, then manually cleaning out the /system32/drivers folder and registry while in safe mode. Then install the latest drivers. The 9.8 catalyst suite has been released on an ATI employee's blog as a "treat" for his readers. he confirms they are the final, complete drivers. They're not on the official AMD download page yet, so here's the link: What?s a good title for a Quakecon blog? | AMD at Play the drivers are just above the comments at the end of the blog.

If you still have the problem, try lowering clocks down slightly from stock. This may sound strange, but it may help diagnose the problem. I'd say if it stabilises on lower clocks, there could be a quality issue with the card. The 4770 is the first ATI card to use a smaller manufacturing process, and there have been some problems with it both in terms of ATI getting poor yields (lots of non functioning chips, ie wastage) and in terms of end users having problems. Signal leakage could be an issue if the new GPU isn't shielded well enough for example (usually done with more transistors around the edge of the die, actually on the die not external). ATI added such measures to the 4890's GPU to enable higher clocks than it's previous 4870.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information