Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return my board or power supply?

Default Return my board or power supply?

As I mentioned in a previous post, my computer sometimes doesnt recognize drives or doesnt recognize it in the post screen but does in the bios and windows. Comming out of sleep mode usually results in slow movement of my mouse and unable to click on start button on desktop so I am forced to reset and the times it has properly woke from sleep mode it sometimes will show my hdd as if they were just plugged in and it asks if i wont to open ect. Now the one consistant way I can get the computer to wake from sleep mode (6or7 times in a row) is by unplugging 2 of my 4 sata drives.

When it works I have sata 0 and sata 1 plugged into my 2 hard drives, my 2 dvd drives are plugged into sata port 4 and 5, 2 of the rear esata cables are plugged into the bottom 2 grey sata ports and my front esata is plugged into the top grey sata port. The rear and front esata are not bieng used. In the bios I have "sata port 0-3 native mode" set to enabled and the "ich sata control mode" set to ide. If I plug in any one of my other 2 sata hdd the problem starts again. I have tried using different sata cables and different power cables for the drives and still the same.

Now I wonder is it maybe the power supply or the mother board? I have until Aug 22 to RMA the power supply and August 30th to rma the board. What do you guys think?

Thank you
    Shane

GA-EX58-UD5 F8 BIOS
    INTEL I7 920
    EVGA GTX295 COOP
    OCZ GOLD OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL8-8-8-24
    THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME 1366RT
    CORSAIR HX1000 CMPSU POWER SUPPLY
    XFI EXTREME MUSIC SOUND CARD
    2 PIONEER DVD BURNERS
    1 SATA2 SEAGATE 500GB DRIVE
    1 SATA WESTERN DIGITAL 320GB DRIVE
    1 SATA MAXTOR 300GB DRIVE
    1 SATA MAXTOR 250 GB DRIVE
    COOLERMASTER ATCS840 CASE
    RUNNING VISTA 64 ULTIMATE
    all drivers from mother board disc are installed except the audio

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Return my board or power supply?

I would suspect neither really based on your comments. Resume from S3 sleep is a known issue if you are not using the right BIOS or do not have the proper settings.

Based on your drive comments I have two thoughts. Maybe 1-2 of those drives are causing issues, but you can't test those two you unplug normally by themselves can you?

Another thing, you may need to add some IOH and ICH Core, and ICH I/O Voltage with 4 drives + DVD Drives. I Use more myself and believe this helps.

Try out this >>
    IOH Core 1.100v ..................... 1.20-124
    ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... 1.58
    ICH Core 1.1v ........................ 1.14-1.2

Motherboard can be RMA's for three years, but I guess you meant to the store you bought from right?

2 of the rear esata cables are plugged into the bottom 2 grey sata ports and my front esata is plugged into the top grey sata port
    Do you mean the white Gigabyte/J.micron SATA ports? Just wondering as you color comment confused me? So either way are these the drives or ports that you think are causing you issues? The Gigabyte/J.micron SATA Ports, using eSATA? If so you may need to update your drivers with the latest J.Micron driver. You did install a AHCI Driver for those ports correct, and have that set to AHCI? You need to for eSATA.

Or you could also move these drives to the Intel ports but if they are there it would require AHCI drivers installed for the OS and those drives.

Up to you I suppose, but I would tend to think a replacement board will likely act the same until you configure things right. Unless there is some weird issue with your SATA Ports, but not sure if it sounds like that to me or not.

I can say they will likely find no issues when you RMA so if you do be sure to tell them what you mentioned here so they know exactly what you think the issue to be.

As for Sleep, don't even mention that as it will not matter and is not a reason for RMA because this is a known issue with all manufacturers at different times until BIOS kinks are worked out. Which they are for this board as of now.

*edit*

Did you by chance happen to use Express Install with the motherboard CD Drivers? Just checking because if you did incorrect drivers or RAID Drivers may have been installed, so this could also give you disk issues. Just checking as users often use the CD in that manner not knowing.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-16-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Trust me id rather not return either. The amount of time i spent and tie straps I used, i dont want to do that again any time soon. Do you have the x58ud5? Do you have the same sleep problem and problem recognizing drives? Or do you know someone with the same problem?
    I will certainly try the setting you suggested, is it normal to have to make adjustments to the voltage when you are running stock with a 1000w power supply?
    I meant white sata ports, described in the manual as gsata2_0/1/2/3. Im not "using" these ports I just have the cables plugged into them for the front and rear ESATA incase I have esata drives in the future. But i have no drives plugged into them now. Is AHCI for esata? Could the problem be the INF Update Utility on the gigabyte disc? I installed it but wasnt sure what it was for.
    Thanks again! Hope to here back from you or others soon.

Shane
    Last edited by shaned; 08-16-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Yes I have a UD5 and a UD4P, S3 sleep works fine on both and I have no issues with drives on either.

No, this is not a common issue with the drives you mention so it could either be your board not liking those drives or maybe they are faulty themselves or about to be anyway. I would know if it was a common thing and it is not.

S3 sleep is though, for many users. Often simply due to using an older BIOS, or sometimes of course before this is fixed via BIOS updates. But is also often due to incorrect settings set by the user or the board through the use of Auto/Defaults.

Yes, those settings are normal per additional hardware over the minimum. You have several HDD and DVD Drives, and a larger GFX Card so it would be suggested by me if you had issues or not. Power Supply rating amount has nothing to do with supplied current to components on the board, only the BIOS settings vary these amounts.

Since you are not using those ports right now, I would suggest you remove them or just unplug them for testing. Yes AHCI would be needed to use them and you would want the Gigabyte AHCI Driver, not the Intel one for those ports (Not an issue now though since you are not using them)

You can get the Gigabyte SATA Driver on the site for your board here >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0)

The top choice would be what you wanted, this would install the RAID and AHCI Driver via the windows program. Then you would need to set that part of the BIOS to AHCI and then you could use the eSATA Ports as you have them connected now

These settings are which you need to set to AHCI, not the Intel ones at the top
    Integrated Peripherals

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... AHCI

Intel INF Chipset driver is required for your board, but has nothing to do with those ports. Since you mentioned it and that you used the CD, please download and install the latest version here >>
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

I spoke to the store I bought my computer parts from and they think i have a faulty power supply. If I do or not they are going to send me a new power supply at no cost so I can at least rule that out. They then told me they will do the same for the motherboard if there is nothing wrong with the power supply. Excellent customer service! Lsdmeasap you seem to really know what you are talking about and you are probably correct but at least I can rule out faulty hardware first then go from there. I certainly do appreciate your help so far.
    Thanks
    Shane

Nice to hear they are being so nice in working with you on this, mind saying what supplier it is for reference?

You ask for a second drive as well? Can you borrow one to rule that out too while you are at it?

NCIX
    I have 4 sata drives and I have ruled out the drives as they worked fine in my old computer and also in this computer I swapped drives and cables around and the same problem so I at least ruled out the hdd's and cables.

Ahh thanks! I never have bought from there due to their insane shipping rates last I looked. At least I know if I ever do that they have good Customer Service, thanks.

Yeap, sounds like they are ruled out as faulty. Could be still incompatible in some manner with the board, but I doubt that as you said two of them are fine right?

Well good luck with the testing when you get the new parts, hope you find the solution quickly!

Are you in the states or Canada? Im in Canada and the shipping isnt too bad, sometimes they have deals on, right now I believe they have $6.98 ground shipping through UPS up to 100lb. I have always bought from them, maybe once I bought a case from tiger direct.

Ya I am in the US, even the US NCIX Site last I looked it was $15-20 to ship 1-2 products. Maybe things have changed since I last checked? I'll have to have a look this week because I do like some of their sales often, even am signed up for the newsletter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information