Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 installer and EX58-UD4P won't see single drive

Default Re: Windows 7 installer and EX58-UD4P won't see single drive

Do you have your external connectors plugged in? If they are you will need to use AHCI. If you are not using them just unplug them. You can plug them in later if you want to use them.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

xdillweedx for payment just a thank you will be sufficient for us.
    Let me try to explain further. I have two 1tb Western Digital in a RAID0, those work fine to install Vista or Windows 7. I then disconnect those two drives, set the bios to not use RAID then hook up a single hitachi Deathstar drive, in either the Intel or Gigabyte ports, neither of them work. The installer just doesn't see them. I don't think it is the hard drives or the installer, it has to do with the motherboard somewhere. This just doesn't make any sense to me.
    A couple of possibilities here.

Hi Lsdmeasap He stated he has a RAID set and a single deathstar, but only the deathstar was connected earlier. He was trying to install windows 7 on his Deathstar. He stated that Windows 7 installer does not see the Deathstar drive, and that Windows Vista did'nt see it previously. {Which might be due to a 2TB limit.}

xdillweedx you need to make sure bios recognizes this drive first. If not try the Deathstar on another motherboard before considering the deathstar incompatible or bad. You should partition it if the bios does recognize it. Some Harddrive manufactures offer software for repairing and partitioning hard drives You may need to check on that as well.

If you have any external drives connected then you must set SATAII_4/5 to AHCI mode. Try disconnecting the eSATA plugs for now if you want to disable the AHCI.

You cannot install or start Windows Vista when the volume of the system partition is larger than 2 terabytes (TB). This may not pertain to your iissue. I am not sure though so I'll leave this info.
    Vista did'nt see it previously. {Which might be due to a 2TB limit.}
    You may be at a 2Terabyte limit.
    On my research I have found that Windows 32bit has a 2TB limit.
    You cannot install or start Windows Vista when the volume of the system partition is larger than 2 terabytes
    If you want to make an array >2TB you need a 64-bit LBA Raid controller and an operating system that support GPT.
    You may want to check out GPT partitioning if you are at the 2TB limit and want to go larger.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/GPT_FAQ.mspx
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

There is no 2T limit on this board so that is not an issue, but what you mention about Vista x86 may be. I would imagine vista should allow the partitions in that case though right?

Since you could never see the drive it very well may need setup for first use, this will set it active and format it. Seagate tool to do this would be disk wizard
    DiscWizard | Seagate

What drive manufacturer is deathstar? Sorry to busy to google ATM, I thought you had jokingly said this name/

It was a Joke I beleieve he meant Hitachi DeskStar with a pun on the name. If it is I googled the downloads here:
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Logitech G500 USB mouse

So any luck with trying the manufacturer tools to format and set the disk up for first use? Or formatting another way as suggested to be sure the 2T is not an issue?

thanks for the help. I actually got it working. I had an old IDE dvdrom drive that I thought was broken, so I figured what the heck I'll give it a try. And it worked. I don't know if it was something about turning the computer on and off and on and off that was throwing my sata dvd drives for a loop, but for some reason they wouldn't recognize the bootable dvd.

I did take the advice and put the dvd drives into the gigabyte sata connectors on the board and put the hard drive into port number 5 on the intel side. And that seems to help. What I was really trying to see if I could get the single drive working, but I've disconnected it for now. Anyways, I do have a 2tb raid0 array running Windows 7 64bit, works great. I was just really puzzled as to why the single drive wasn't showing up in the windows install. Weird!

At any rate, the deathstar is actually a deskstar. I think it got the name from IBM when they were still in the hard drive business. The deskstar failed so many times that it became to be known as the deathstar. I've actually really liked the drives, but now they are made by hitachi. The drives are really quick in a raid0 array and I have not had one single problem with them.

Thanks again for all the help!

Did you have the DVD Drive on SATA2_4 or 5? If not that could be why, also some systems need to have AHCI Disabled in the BIOS to use a bootable CD/DVD. If this applied then you could still install windows with the AHCI Drivers, just with it disabled in the BIOS and then enable once the install process was complete. Do note, that may mean setting this back to AHCI directly after windows tries to reboot the first time. Just shut down when it reboots and switch the setting, then restart and continue with the install from the available menu

^^ Just for others who may read this in the future ^^

Since you got it going great, you can ignore the above, or take it in and remember for later usage

As I read, you have got what we said all wrong. Hard drives on the Intel port should go into the first ones, starting with SATA2_0

Either way, glad to see you have a running system now! Post back anytime if you need further help with anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information