Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wake On LAN Problem - GA-MA770-DS3 rev1

Default Wake On LAN Problem - GA-MA770-DS3 rev1

Hi,

Problem with Wake-On-LAN for GA-MA770-DS3 rev1.0 motherboard. BIOS F7.

BIOS set to S3 (STR)
    NIC set to wake on magic packet in Win7

After PC enters S3 sleep, magic packet sent to PC will only wake it up during first couple of minutes after sleep.

After PC is in sleep for more than couple of minutes, magic packet is ignored. Note that LAN light does stay on whole time, and PC can be resumed from sleep manually (power btn, Media Center remote, etc.).

Tests are done on LAN, PC's connected throiugh switch.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    tcc

p.s. I accedentially posted in another thread, please ignore that duplicate poset :)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Wake On LAN Problem - GA-MA770-DS3 rev1

Did this also happen with previous BIOS? Can you test if it is the same on a few older BIOS, just to be sure?

If it is only the new BIOS a report will have to be sent in, my contact will be gone until the 31st so you would need to remind me after that. In the meantime you can send in a report and ask them to pass the info along to the BIOS engineers and then they will likely get you a Beta BIOS for testing once they have time to work one up.

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

You do have your ram voltage manually set to spec correct?

Chike is offline Senior Member

That switch is a router? How do you send the magic packet?

In priciple the magic packet should be sent to the broadcast address not the real IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    That switch is a router? How do you send the magic packet?

In priciple the magic packet should be sent to the broadcast address not the real IP.
    The switch is a 16 port Netgear Gig-E LAN switch. Magic packet is sent to LAN broadcast as UDP packet. I use a freeware utility called Magic Packet Sender, and another one that I wrote myself. I ran a packet trace and verified the packet is being being formatted correctly and sent to the LAN broadcast addr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Did this also happen with previous BIOS? Can you test if it is the same on a few older BIOS, just to be sure?

If it is only the new BIOS a report will have to be sent in, my contact will be gone until the 31st so you would need to remind me after that. In the meantime you can send in a report and ask them to pass the info along to the BIOS engineers and then they will likely get you a Beta BIOS for testing once they have time to work one up.

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

You do have your ram voltage manually set to spec correct?
    Yes this also occurs with the previous F6 BIOS. I tested first with F6 then tried newer F7.

I believe that I have the BIOS set to Auto for RAM. l'll try setting voltage manually to spec and see what happens.

Just to re-summarize though, the PC can be successfully brought out of S3 sleep by power button, task scheduler wake up, other OS wake up timers, etc. It's only Magic Packet wake up that has problem where it only works during the first couple of minutes after PC is put to S3 sleep, and after that it is ignored.

tcc

Do you have another switch you can test it with? Or another computer on the same switch you can try and wake up?

Do you have another switch you can test it with? Or another computer on the same switch you can try and wake up?
    Yes, tested with 3 other identical PC's on Gig-E switch, and I tested one of the PC's on a 100mBit switch. Same behavior. Two to three minutes after sleep none of the PC's respond to Magic Packet. Within the 2/3 minutes after sleep, all the PC's wake up upon receipt of Magic Packet.

tcc

I'd say check with NETGEAR maybe there some settings you need to apply to the switch for it to support WOL packets.
    I'm just guessing but it seems it's arp cache is expired and it does not send to just any NIC that it's link is up.

I'd say check with NETGEAR maybe there some settings you need to apply to the switch for it to support WOL packets.
    I'm just guessing but it seems it's arp cache is expired and it does not send to just any NIC that it's link is up.
    Yes, the behavior suggests the classic "ARP cache expiration problem", but my understanding is that ARP cache is not a factor when sending Magic Packet to a host through a LAN Switch.

My assumptions are below. Please feel free to correct and advise if I am missing something :)

The magic packet is addressed to the LAN broadcast address not to any particular host. The packet payload itself contains a WOL pattern followed by the target host's MAC address repeated 16 times, and every WOL enabled NIC on the LAN that sees the broadcast packet will examine it, and if pattern matches WOL pattern and MAC in payload matches MAC of NIC then that host responds to WOL.

Possibly I have misunderstood the mechanics of LAN broadcast??? I am assuming that a packet sent to the LAN broadcast address IP 255.255.255.255 (destination MAC addr 0xFF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF) causes a switch to simply forward the packet to all ports. There is no specific destination IP or MAC address involved in a broadcast, and thus the ARP cache inside the switch is not in the loop.

btw: many thanks for your responses. i will follow up on each suggestion :)

tcc

You could try a direct PC to PC connection and see if they wake up or not.

EDIT: btw what is the switch model number?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information