Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: EP45-UD3P Random ShutDown.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-UD3P Random ShutDown.

If you feel you need some direct help with full settings please see my signature and fill out a template with your current settings. Then I will advise back a full list of settings that should get you going.

Although this memory you are trying is meant for SLI boards it should work ok in your board, but as said above this could be part of the issues. I would need to see your full settings and have you try a few things first though before I could decide more on that. Normally "SLI" on memory or "Crossfire Certified" is just marketing/sales pitch, specs are usually all that matters. Not always though

This post might be a touch premature... but, I have been fighting this same issue since March 2009 time frame... I have since replaced every single piece of hardware in my system except the case... Done a massive amount of research (and am still as of yet clueless about voltages and timing and the like!).

Anyhow, yesterday morning I was so fed up with my computer, massive ammounts of dll corruption due to many (different) memory based BSODs that the thing would hardly run. I decided that I was going to check into re-seating the motherboard (yet again...) and look to see if I needed to use the insulating standoffs or washers... To my surprise, I found that Gigabyte boards require you to NOT use insulating standoffs or washers (I was not, so not a major issue) and that many reboot and blue screen issues may be related to improper or poor grounding. While looking around, I found that Gigabyte boards seem to love if you add another ground source to your system....

So, with that in mind, I broke out my MacGyver hat, and crimped two small electrical eyelets to a length of electrical wire and built a ground strap. You can see where / how I attached the strap to the motherboard and then removed the back-side panel and screwed the other half of the strap to the case. The ground strap is the single red wire that is connected to the motherboard by the right corner of the heat sink. (sorry for the size of this image....)

Attachment 1891

After I connected the ground strap, I fired it back up and was further amazed when the computer actually loaded into windows 7 without its normal choking and stuttering... My system was still not fully functional, Windows 7 said it needed to reboot in order to configure new hardware. If I had to guess, it was something to do with graphics, since the display appeared to be in plain vga mode. Keep in mind, I did nothing except add this ground strap.

I have now been running without a single crash for 24 hours which is the most I have gotten in months... I have also been able to run the command sfc / scannow from an elevated command prompt and have NO errors, which I have not had happen at any point ever in the past.

Could it be that the answer to the reboot, blue-screen, screwy memory issues that seem so common place with the UD3P board is simply an insufficient grounding of the mother board? Your luck / mileage may vary of course... I guess time will tell, however I am somewhat optimistic for the first time in 6 plus months about having a functioning computer.
    TownRebel
    -----+-------------------------------------------------------
    .CPU | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
    COOL | Scythe SCNJ-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
    ..MB | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    .MEM | 8GB - 4X2GB Corsair Dominator 1066 CM2X2048-8500C5D
    .GFX | XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB GDDR3
    .HDD | 2X 500GB Seagate SV35.3
    ..CD | LG 22x DVD+/-R DVD Burner with Lightscribe
    CASE | Antec TX1050B tower case
    ..PS | Silverstone 700w modular power supply
    -----+-------------------------------------------------------

Bongkie is offline Member

Glad to hear you sorted things out

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Odd to see and hear, not sure what caused that to happen to you or for you to find things improve like you did?

I use many Gigabyte boards, some with washers, some without, and some on boxes and never have any issues at all. So I really think your re-seating your board or moving something else may have helped more than actual grounding

If you need help with your settings let me know

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information