Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POST BEEP Sound Distorted, Stumbles ?

Default Re: POST BEEP Sound Distorted, Stumbles ?

Maybe I'll try them. Is one better than the other?
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1. BIOS (newest) F11
    NB: AMD780G. SB: AMD SB700
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    PSU Corsair HX520W. (PSU calc by Corsair + NCIX; tested by TT Dr Power.)
    Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (Arctic Silver 5); 6 fans
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Monitor 22" LG W2242TQ w/Belkin DVI-D
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    Mouses (2) Logi MX620 + Logi V220
    KB Simple Perfection backlit USB
    XP64
    No gaming; heavy simultaneous use of big programs
    System built Nov 2008

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh wow...

Well you are about to step into a whole new world then since you never do stability testing.

Your settings may need many adjustments, and this could very well be the cause of your issues. I thought you did already do stability tests and such, sorry for the asumptions.

Memtest86+ is to test your memory, I suggest 5-10 full passes or overnight while you sleep
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Orthos or Prime95 is to test both your CPU and ram together. Here is how that works, thanks profjim
    Prime95 Orthos
    Small FFT
    This test uses data that fits completely into your CPU's level 2 cache, it stresses the processor intensely but does not stress the RAM or the link between the RAM and the processor. It will error out because of:
    Not enough vCore
    Possibly low CPU Termination (VTT)
    Possibly low/high CPU ref
    Possibly low PLL (clock generator) voltage

Large FFT
    This test uses large "pieces" of data that require information to be moved in and out of RAM quite intensely to constantly feed the processor. The data in these calculations doesn't fit completely in CPU onboard cache, so the work load on the MCH and RAM is huge. It will error out because of:
    Not enough vDIMM (RAM voltage)
    Not enough (and rarely too much) MCH core voltage
    Incorrect MCH ref voltage
    Unstable memory timings (includes both main timings ie 5-5-5-15, and also tRead and tRFC.
    Only fails because of processor when vCore is waaaaaay too low!

Blend
    This alternates between small and large data sets, and although it is a useful "last test" when run for say 24 hours after you believe you have everything dialed in and it passes Large and Small seperately, it's confusing for fault finding.
    If Blend fails it could be for any reason mentioned for small FFT and large FFT leaving you with no indication what to do to stablise the system.
    You can get those tools here along with many others
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

Many thanks.

Looks like I'm going to be busy!
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

Good luck, and sorry to likely introduce a whole new world of issues for ya...

Because I set up this thread under the Distorted POST Beep title, I want to answer my own question here in case someone else arrives in this thread after Googling with the same problem.

No one was ever able to help me with this one, and I asked in various places and forums: the distorted beep, which was a single (not a double) beep, with a hiccup or stumble in it, so: BE-BEEP! or bpd-BEEP!

Finally I solved the mystery myself.

In the Award BIOS (F8-F10, maybe others), there are 4 options for your FAN settings. Case Fan and CPU Fan, Fail Warning and Smart Control. You can have any assortment enabled or disabled.

Of the 16 (4 x 4) possible combinations you can select, only 5 will give you a pure, clean POST beep! sound. Distorted beeps are caused by the other 11 fan selection combinations.

• All 4 possibilities with both FAN Fail Warnings DISABLED will give proper beeps, plus if you set both CPU (FAN + Smart) = DIS, and ENABLE both System (FAN + Smart) settings, that one is okay too.
    • Of the remaining possibilities, 6 will produce the distorted beep, 2 will produce alarms and 3 will produce alarms AND distorted beeps. I didn't leave the alarms on for any length of time, so your milage may vary a bit there.

The selections which incur distorted beeps include some perfectly useful choices, so it seems to be a BIOS programming error that allows the sound to distort. For example, if you have the 2 FAN Fail Warnings ENABLED but the 2 Smart FAN Controls DISABLED, the beep is distorted. That would be a good choice, though, because when Smart = Enabled, then the fans may spin too slowly during a cool startup and sound the alarm.

After 11 months of trying to figure out the cause of the beep distortions, I was very happy (and VERY surprised) when my experimenting was suddenly successful.

• Unfortunately, my more important problem, that of the slow times to POST, returned, and I am back to stop-watching my Power ON to POST times. I did RMA the motherboard; Gigabyte answered my 4 pages of notes with one word—REPAIR—and so next time I guess I'll try ASUS. The board came back with no noticable differences. My shortest time to POST ever was about 19 seconds (extremely rare), my average is 4˝ MINUTES, and my longest time ever —just to go from Power ON to POST, not to boot up into Windows—is now a staggering 48 minutes and 17 seconds.
    • In every instance, the computer did finally get up into Windows, and Windows then worked perfectly normally. Plus always Windows RESTARTS work normally. And I have no bluescreens. I believe the G.Skill tech who told me the RAM has to be okay, because my problem is ONLY with the slow time to POST. He said a problem with RAM would surely show up as well in my Windows operations.
    Last edited by Groonx2; 10-13-2009 at 10:13 PM.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Case Antec P150
    Floppy
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

Thanks for posting back your findings, sounds like a glitch then for sure.

Did you try the latest BIOS for your board, just checking?

Hi, Lsdmeasap. I have the new F11 BIOS on now, and later today I shall test it for the distorted beep. I'll post back when I've done that.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Case Antec P150
    Floppy
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

Wink Re: POST BEEP Sound Distorted, Stumbles ?

Not yet, and not for quite awhile if I can get my system to work properly.

I didn't expect the Gigabyte techs in the RMA section in Los Angeles to have a lot of time to read what I sent (in hard copy), but I still hoped for SOME communication from them. I spent several hours getting everything ready to go. There was just the single word, REPAIR, meaning anything at all. I think it may have just indicated what category my mobo went into, as opposed to, maybe, EXCHANGE. I have no idea.

So the company must be flourishing, if they have no need for any PR at all. Good thing they have that fellow called Lsdmeasap.

Today I did test the new F11 BIOS and, sure enough, same glitch as in F8 and F10. If you like I can send a .jpg showing a chart with all 16 possibilities. As I said, 5 get proper beep sounds, and 11 don't. But I just tested one with F11, assuming if it was distorted, they would all be exactly the same as they were in F10.

As for my system, I am back looking at power. The 520 watt power supply should be enough, and I have charts showing the pre-POST lag occurs (30 seconds to 1:30) even when the system is stripped of drives and most of the RAM. A couple of people have suggested my PSU may be powerful enough but might be not working right.

Hm. At 63, I sometimes feel as though I'm powerful enough but not working right. Could be possible.
    Last edited by Groonx2; 10-15-2009 at 01:10 PM.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Case Antec P150
    Floppy
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    XP64
    System built Nov 2008

Ahh, just sounded like you were upset and switched above, that is why I did not comment about it in my previous reply

Ya, I bet Repair did mean a category, which is good in a way because that means you get the same board back and not a used refurb (Which can be fine as well, I have pushed one past 5Ghz without issue).

Well I think the main issue with communication is even though they are in CA, you are still speaking with native Taiwan speaking people for the most part. So in order to keep things easiest they comment as little as possible. They also hate not being able to properly translate what they want to say, so often they do not comment based solely only that as well.

It all very well could be a minor cosmetic BIOS glitch, and could take them a long time to narrow down and try to fix for something that does not affect stability they may not be concerned about it all that much. I know I would not be, and actually I ONLY have case speakers connected when and if I am trouble shooting something, otherwise they sit on the shelf.

I can't really comment on your PSU, as I have no clue how AMD Setups draw power. If you think it may be a little low in wattage maybe get a 600 or 650 and you should be good to go. I do not however think this has anything to do with your beep distortions. That is likely just a BIOS glitch as you can tell from your tests it is fine with certain things set a certain way which either way would still be drawing the same amount of power.

I'd suggest just removing your case speaker until you have issues you need to troubleshoot, then you wont be bothered by the sounds. I know, not a proper correction, but it is what I would do as it is a minor thing and not even really an issue (To me anyway)

So you did forward this onto the tech's in Taiwan? If not, please do maybe they can help with a beta BIOS or something and then try to get the fix into the next final. Like I said though, this is minor and does not affect stability so they likely would not be fast with a fix and or may never look into it...... Just thought I would see if you could get them to comment, they should at least reply to you with more than one word. Tell them all your testing and findings, and link to this thread. Then ask them to froward the issue to the BIOS engineers >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information