Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ga-x48-DQ6, QX9770, Stable problems, random lock ups, Bsod's, I think I need help?

Question Ga-x48-DQ6, QX9770, Stable problems, random lock ups, Bsod's, I think I need help?

Last edited by C3kChennie; 10-09-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: no longer needed,problem solved!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Ga-x48-DQ6, QX9770, Stable problems, random lock ups, Bsod's, I think I need help

Thanks for all your kind words!! I am glad my posts help you out!

Well you do know not all quads will do 4Ghz right? And that your new one may be worse of a chip than your older one. So that very well could be what happened

Your new CPU may not be as good as your older one at all, this happens and the Extreme is really not any better then the normal ones except at stock. They all overclock about the same, and you still have the same crap shoot on getting a good or bad one either way.

So, can you please give me your settings you have for the highest you have got the new chip and I will advise back. You can get a template for your settings in the link in my signature

Yes water helps, but it wouldn't help you out if you cant even boot to 3.8-4Ghz. It would only help temps under full load is all, so yes it is nice but may not help in this situation at all until you get going

Default Re: Ga-x48-DQ6, QX9770, Stable problems, random lock ups, Bsod's, I think I need help

Hello.

Your welcome.

I know about the quads (extremes are not that extreme, just some higher binned piece of sillicion and some metals)

The highest I tried to boot and run 3d mark (and some games), was 4.1 ghz, with an fsb that is 456, higher than that and it bsod on me.
    I can get in windows with 4.3 ghz on a vcore of 1.46 (to high for me)
    But it will give a bsod within 20 minutes of surfing and messaging and a little bit of windowed gaming (red alert 3)

I'll ad a few pictures, So you can see I can game and run 3dmark fine.
    In the pictures you can see my temperatures with the noctua cooler.
    Keep in mind that my TJmax is set to 95 instead of 85 what intel is recommending, I'm doing this to have a little bit of headroom for myself. (what I'm trying to say is, temps should thus be 10 degrees lower than stated in the screenshots)

My bios template below to achieve those screens..
    it was a coincidence I made those screen last week with the old cooler (noctua) I was testing my ddr 2 ram, as I could OC them a bit more than 533, usually I have my ddr2 running 1:1 with my cpu.
    Sometimes I messed with the GTL ref, I don't know what I exactly had set, but prime would run for 2 minutes with al the 4 cores, instead 2 cores failing instantly I press torture test in prime.

The rest of my hardware is:
    Bios version used to achieve above settings: F8D.

Case: stacker 830.
    Gpu : hd4870
    PSU : Thermaltake Toughpower 1200
    Mobo: ga-x48-dq6
    Memory: OCZ reapers, 4x2gb kits Pc8500, 8gb in total, rated 2.1/2.2 volt.ocz memory
    cpu cooler: dtek fuzion
    Northbridge is cooled by a 60x60mm papst fan attached to it with tie wraps, to ensure it doesn't make my room go on fire:P

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [456]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100
    ]C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40B](normally I have this on 2.00B or 2.00D)
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

Memory settings were set, The only thing I set in bios are always cas, trcd,trp,tras, thus 5-5-5-15, to make sure the ram is not the issue when OC.

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]
    System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.35V] (ocz stated 2.1 or 2.2)
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.25V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.3V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.46750]

Loadline calibration (enabled) Could not see this one in the template in your sig.

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [disabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]
    Integrated PeripheralsLegacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled]
    Last edited by C3kChennie; 08-24-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: messy

Well you may need to stick with D multipliers for your ram at that FSB, and since you have 8Gb you will need to keep the speed around 800-900 or so. What tRD (Static tRead Value) are you using?

Looks like you are at 4Ghz, sorry I thought You could not get there. So what is the issues again?

I'm back, updated the bios to F8E, after that, I rebooted the system, went into the bios, load optimized defaults.

The problem with my system is, that it isn't stable at all, not in prime95, I don't even want to try the linpack test, that would fail hardcore I think..
    When I start prime small fft's randomly cores are falling out.
    It are always core 1 and 3, or 2 and 4..
    At first core 1 stops, then a few seconds later core 3 or 4, 2 cores keep on going..
    When running large fft's, within the first minute core 4 fails, 2 minutes later core 1, 2 minutes later than that core 3 fails, and core 2 happily keeps running all alone..

That isn't all, sometimes when just browsing or gaming or downloading, it stops responding, then I get a bsod within 3 sec.
    Sometimes it freezes while gaming and the cpu gets a load, In the meantime I have programs running like newsleecher, mediaplayer, internet explorer (quad core, multitasking when the load goes to high it says bye bye and put me back to BSOD)

i'm having a static t read value of 6 when I keep my timings at default..
    with the memory running at 533 and timings of 7-7-7-20, I can change this to 5-5-5-18 in memset with no problems at all, the performance level stays the same...

When I'm running my ddr2 modules and fsb 1:1, I keep the fsb at 450, and then the performance level goes up to 13 in memset! I set this back to 8, when I push it to 7 it instantly freezes..
    Last edited by C3kChennie; 08-24-2009 at 03:29 AM.

Well if you set tRD manually it wont change at all.

You may just be at the upper limit of your CPU for stability, or you need more voltage and due to your cooler you do not wish to add?

Maybe back down a bit and get stable and call it a day until you get a better cooler or water cooling

Euhmmm LsD are you reading what i Said?
    I already have watercooling, I installed water cooling last week, I have a brand new thermochill rad 120.2, dtek fuzion, and a good reservoir and a mcp350 as the pump, so temps are okay.. even under 1.45 vcore in cpu-z, and a cpu frequency of 4.1 ghz.
    They (cores) dont get any hotter than 55 a 52 degrees celsius. in realtemp or coretemp (latest versions)

I can add more voltage, that's no problem if it is going to be stable..

They (cores) dont get any hotter than 55 a 52 degrees celsius. in realtemp or coretemp (latest versions)

I can get it booting to 4.3 like i said, with a voltage of 1.44..
    4.0 at 1.34 vcore..

The problem with my system is, that it isn't stable at all, not in prime95, I don't even want to try the linpack test, that would fail hardcore I think..
    When I start prime small fft's randomly cores are falling out.
    It are always core 1 and 3, or 2 and 4..
    At first core 1 stops, then a few seconds later core 3 or 4, 2 cores keep on going..
    When running large fft's, within the first minute core 4 fails, 2 minutes later core 1, 2 minutes later than that core 3 fails, and core 2 happily keeps running all alone..

That isn't all, sometimes when just browsing or gaming or downloading, it stops responding, then I get a bsod within 3 sec.
    Sometimes it freezes while gaming and the cpu gets a load, In the meantime I have programs running like newsleecher, mediaplayer, internet explorer (quad core, multitasking when the load goes to high it says bye bye and put me back to BSOD)

Can you help me with the gtl references?? I've read that they could be the sweet adjustment spots on the gigabyte boards..
    Last edited by C3kChennie; 08-24-2009 at 03:36 AM.

Sorry, no I did not go back and read it again! My Bad, just answer so many posts is all.

Well still, you may be at or above the range your CPU is going to be stable without adding more voltages

Sorry I can't offer advice on GTL Ref's for CPU, I can for MCH though but that is more for P45.

Does more voltage stabilize things, if not then you may need to look into GTL Refs. I can link you to some in depth reading on that but can't directly help. Sorry I can with P45 MCH Ref, but not X48 CPU Ref

i've put the gtl ref 1 to +3.00%
    I've upped the cpu vcore to 1.47850 or 1.48750 (not sure :P) in bios.
    Loadline ... Enabled.

When Idle in windows, the actual vcore is 1.456...
    When loaded with large fft's the cpu goes to 1.424 vcore.
    i'm priming large fft's @ The moment while typing this, 1 core failed after 2 minutes.. (the rest is continouing there worker thread
    Previously it would fail within one minute.

to bad about the gtl references, I've read the post about it that you wrote about 20 times, but I don't get it all..

when I up the vcore, things get indeed more stable, but not perfectly stable.

Well that is for P45 MCH Ref too, so it really dont apply.

The articles I know of for CPU ref are way in depth and get me lost, but I can link you if you like.

Sounds like you need more vcore still, due to the large Vdroop. There may be a Vdroop mod out there for your board, have you looked yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information