Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD3R wont connect to internet

Default GA-EX58-UD3R wont connect to internet

Got a problem and can't seem to figure it out.

Had Vista Ultimate x64 and was running no problems. I bought pre-ordered Windows7 Pro, but until its release on October 22nd, I went and did a clean install of Windows7 Pro. My thinking was I'd rearm until the release date.

Windows7 was working great...up until I started installing latest drivers. When I installed the Win7 driver for the wired Realtek LAN, that's when my problems started. It will start to connect, connect for a second or two, then drop the connection. It will just repeat this to infinity, trying to connect, connect, drop connection, repeat.

So maybe its a bad driver, and I'll go back to the previous working driver. Same thing...infinite loop (trying, connect, drop, etc).

So I have a spare LAN PCI-E card. I install that. Same thing, infinite trying, connect, drop, etc.

All my wireless computers work fine. So I'm thinking maybe a problem with my wired router connection. Try all RJ45 jacks (maybe a bad port). Same thing.

So I try direct connect to my cable modem, taking router out of the equation. Same thing.

So I backup files, reformat, and do a clean install of Win7 x64 Pro. Same thing.

Maybe its a Win7 bug, so I reinstall Vista Ultimate x64. Same thing...endlessly trys to connect, connects for 1-2 sec, drops connection, repeat.

So maybe its the BIOS. I upgrade to the latest BIOS. Same thing.

Could it be I have a short in my wire? I plug the wire into another computer. Wired LAN in other computers works fine.

I have a spare wireless card. My other wireless computers all work fine. I put the wireless card in and voila', I am connected (wirelessly).

Still can't figure out why I can't get any wired connection to work. The only thing I have tried are BIOS settings or some 3rd party BIOS. Any ideas?

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD3R wont connect to internet

Windows 7 already has Realtek drivers for the NIC (LAN port) installed as standard. Does the same problem occur when you use those?

Also could I confirm your Windows 7 version. You say you have Pro installed, but this is only the case if you've installed a pirated version or have a Tech Net/MSDN subscription. If you're using the Release candidate then this is a version of Windows 7 Ultimate.

DOn't flash to a 3rd party BIOS. This is likely a driver issue. Use the roll back feature to go back to the version supplied with Windows 7. Again, if it's a pirated version of Pro then the author may have edited the ISO and removed the original supplied Realtek driver. If this is the case then I recommend you install the Release Candidate until Win 7 final is released.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I signed up for an ACM membership here https://campus.acm.org/public/QuickJ...m_type=Student

The LAN isn't working anymore under Vista either. Not through the built-in Realtek NIC nor a D-Link PCI-E NIC card I tried. Oddly, a wireless card used in the same PCI-E slot works just fine. I may have cooked something on my board preventing any wired LAN's from working.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I have access wirelessly.

There have been similar posts here where users have had a non functioning LAN port in Windows that works OK if the system is initially booted to Linux. If the system is booted to windows first (where the LAN port wasn't working) and then to Linux, the port wouldn't work there either.

A quick search of the forum for Realtek NIC would likely find the relevant posts. I can't remember off hand the solution used, but I'm sure one was found. Does your Board have dual LAN? If so each one is connected to a seperate controller chip. It's unlikely both would fail at the same time. If they both don't work, this is even more likely to be a driver issue.

If you completely power off the system and remove AC power for a few minutes then load XP, do you get LAN connectivity back?

Although you now are using wireless, there may come a time when you may need to use a LAN port for some reason. It would be good to fault fin, as if say something's shorting the back plate or rear of the board, the sorce of the short may move and fry something much more important. I'd carefully tip the case upside down after removing any unsecured items and hardware, listening for the tell tale sound of a rolling screw or piece of metal. Just to be safe.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

OMG...I finally solved the problem! I was almost ready to get a new motherboard. Here's how I did it...

What kept happening was Windows would find my NIC, try to connect, connect, then drop. It was almost as if it was some kind of overload. Like too many concurrent connections or something. So I tried some registry edits to lower the number of connections. Didn't help.

Finally, after three complete re-installs and two frustrating days...

I checked the NIC properties, and the "Speed & Duplex" setting. It was set to "Auto Negotiation". By setting this down to "10 Mpbs Full Duplex", I was finally able to get a stable wired connection.

I wonder if this is a bug in Windows 7. Or maybe I still have a problem. The built-in Realtek 8111D LAN is supposed to be 10/100/1000 Mbit connection. Why wouldn't it "Auto Negotiate"? Why can't I get the 100 or 1000 Mbit Full Duplex to work? Are there other settings I need to tweak in the network properties?

Anyway, I'm happy. Thanks for the suggestions Psycho. The screw idea was what I thought it was. It kept me searching and trying. And I learned something. Thanks for your encouragement.

Oh and one more thing that I'm thinking might have been the problem. I have an ancient P.O.S. wireless router, the D-Link DI-624. This thing is as old as the internet, and claims to only have 10/100 LAN connections. I'm thinking maybe the 100 Mbps has degraded over the years that maybe its only putting out less than the 100 Mbps. LAN speed mismatch. It's probably time for a new router.
    Last edited by Batavian; 08-27-2009 at 10:45 AM.

It could very likely be the router. If for some reason the NIC can't determine which signal speed is to be used, then I'm sure this could happen. Routers don't degrade but the tech they use does age however, and backward compatibility can't always be guaranteed.

It may be that setting any full duplex speed, be it 10Mbit or 100Mbit will result in the same stable connection. If your internet access is of more than 10Mbps then you may want to see if 100Mbit will work.

Even though the router's only maybe 4-5 years old, it just goes to show that as time goes on, things get left behind.

Glad you sorted it! I much prefer using a wired connection myself. Security is increased 1000 fold (who ever says that 128Bit WEP is secure is having a laugh) and unless a cable fails (unlikely) the connection is IMO more reliable. You only need to drill a tiny hole to route the cable through a wall. To allow a wireless signal to get through a blocking object you'd need a sledgehammer.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

I've been seeing this problem everywhere , especially on this forum. I have the UD3R and the network connection update from windows that seems to cause this problem is on the list. So i deleted it and have never lost a connection. Check around for other posts similar to yours, maybe you can save a few people a few days worth of frustration, you seem to have the answer...
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Good stuff dbee. That driver offered by Windows Update is bad. You're correct. I went and downloaded the one right from Reaktek. They already have a Windows 7 driver up on their site. Realtek

And Psycho, you were right. I think it was the router. I'm using Time Warner cable in Rochester NY. What helped clue me into the problem was when my Vonage phone service starting cutting out. I got a new router and everything is working great. Running my wired connection with the default Auto negotiate so I'm taking full advantage of my speed instead of hobbling along at 10Mbps.

Thanks for you help guys.

I never did a Network adapter update at all. Almost did since i noticed some stuttering/lag in certain games, but found out it was the server .

What kind of router did you get ? I would have recommended the D-link DIR-655 if you didnt already get one. It does upto 300mbps wireless and 1gbit/s wired connection. It has so many features its insane, yet has a very simple interface.

You can configure most anything. One main feature i like is you can prioritize network traffic such as for gaming, VOIP, video streaming over network, whatever u like.
    Its only 90 bucks now .

VERY GOOD router, have not had a single problem with it since i got it. This one replaced my Linksys wrt54g which was still working great after a couple years , using that one in my office now.
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit