Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte EP45 UP3D (rev 1.6) Does Not Detect Second PCI-e Card (HD4890)

Default Gigabyte EP45 UP3D (rev 1.6) Does Not Detect Second PCI-e Card (HD4890)

PC Setup:
    64 bit Vista Business
    Gigabyte EP45 UD3P (rev 1.6) mobo
    Intel Core2 Quad q9550 (not overclocked) @ 2.83ghz
    8gb (4x2gb) Kingston Ram
    Corsair HX850w PSU
    PCI Wireless Adapter
    Dual PCI-e Sapphire ATI HD4890s crossfired
    1 TB harddrive
    Lightscribe DVD-R CD-ROM
    -
    I have a really peculiar problem...
    -
    My motherboard occasionally (though not often) detects my second HD4890 card. The card in the 16x slot it detects, but not the one in the 8x slot. When I go into device manager it only detects one display card and if I plug my monitor into the other slot it doesn't receive a signal. If I designate my second PCI-e slot as the primary display it still doesn't detect it.
    -
    The cards themselves and the individual PCI-e slots work (I've taken the card out and tested each slot individually with each card) but when both are in use they are not detected. I have updated my BIOS, my chipsets, reinstalled Catalyst (took out one card, installed CCC, rebooted to desktop, replaced second card), set it back to factory defaults, swapped the cards, played with my BIOS, tried removing my PCI WAN card, reducing my memory to 4gb, and fiddling with power cords.
    -
    I really don't know what to try next. Messing with Catalyst will once in a blue moon fix the problem, but no solution has ever worked for more than day or twice in a row.
    -
    Please help! Also, please don't address the fact that I may have CPU bottle necking, I'll cross that bridge when I can get better cooling lol
    unrelated. I have kingston gaming RAM that's supposed to run at 2.2v but when i set it that high it gets really hot. what's the lowest i can set them that they'll still be useful? (i heard that if you use all 4 ram slots you need at least 2.0. I manually set the timings to 5-5-5-15 but beyond that i don't really know what else to do...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte EP45 UP3D (rev 1.6) Does Not Detect Second PCI-e Card (HD4890)

With 8GB of ram you may need to use 2.0-2.1 or so, what speed are you running them? Maybe a fan would be wise to put above them

Have you tested to see if 8GB of ram has anything to do with this issue? I mean treid 4GB for a few days and seen if the issue presented itself again? Just wondered since you mentioned you had been undervolting your ram. You are setting additional MCH Voltage correct? If not you should, maybe 1.20-1.28 for 8GB

I can say 4890 are power hungry cards, and sometimes even with one you need to adjust the southbridge voltages because the defaults on the board are just not enough. So this could be the issue, please try these changes for a few days and see if things improve any >>

ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< Set 1.58
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Set 1.16-1.24

Default Re: Gigabyte EP45 UP3D (rev 1.6) Does Not Detect Second PCI-e Card (HD4890)

Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2T1K2/4G - Desktop Memory

These are the mem sticks I have, i bought two pairs of them... i checked the specs on kingston and they said they handle the 5-5-5-15 at 2.2v and that 1.8v is 5-5-5-18, nothing said for in between... I was thinking of getting extra cooling but I'm not sure how that'll work yet... anyways, the problem at hand. I set them to run at 1066.

I talked to a local tech support guy and he said my device manager might have been conflicting with itself and catalyst and that I should uninstall catalyst, the driver, and the cards, take one out, install only the drivers, insert, make sure they're detected and reinstall catalyst. It didn't work and it's very similar to what AMD told me to try... Didn't detect the second card.

I tried what you said. Bios doesn't have increments that small for the ICH values so I settled with
    ICH I/O - 1.59 (1.57 didn't detect second card, increments +- 0.02)
    ICH Core - 1.20 (increments of +- 0.1)
    MCH - 1.200
    DRAM - 2.1

So far I'm not detecting any changes >.< Second GPU still undetected...

For the RAM, do i need to adjust any of the other settings involved?

This is my first Gigabyte product and other than this little problem I've been really impressed by it... I RMA'd my first one cause it was giving my display issues as well and I thought the USBs were broken (didn't notice the BIOS setting for USB power lol...) I really like that it supports firewire and HD audio and the only issue I'm having is this >.< (and the 8x PCI-e slot, would prefer the 16x...) The Q-flash is probably my favorite part though...
    Last edited by kenshin13850; 08-27-2009 at 12:15 PM.

8GB is very hard to run at 1066, this may/likely is the issue or at least a large part of it. And for sure even with 555-18 you would need to use at least 2.0-2.1 to run 1066 with even 4GB

Do you have Init First Display set to PEG? If not please do that.

Then I advise you run the ram at 800Mhz for now, and set 2.1V ram voltage and 1.24-1.28 MCH Voltage

Are you trying the latest ATI Drivers direct from ATI? If not please do, and if you are please try an older version as sometimes certain versions cause issues.

Again, does this happen if you only use 4GB? Please test, then you will know if the ram settings have anything to do with it at all or not. 8GB I do still suggest what I said though about the speed and voltages

My computer was having issues starting up so i reset my the power section of my BIOS and slaughtered some other parts (probably over heating...)

For right now my RAM is down to 800mhz and 1.8v and everything else at defaults. I have tried reducing my 8gb to 4gb and that did not produce a result.

I had to do a system restore using my install disk (something about a file was not digitally signed.. ntsokernal or something like that) and I had to do the same thing yesterday with a different file that had the same problem. I don't know if that's related to the changed voltages or not... That also set my Catalyst version to an older one (the one that came with the cards. I tried installing that to see if it would help but it didn't...)

Now I've had this happen before, but anytime I seriously mess with the BIOS sometimes the second card is detected... like right now the crossfire's working but I don't know if it will stay that way. I'll leave my config as is and see if things change. If it's not detected I'll post that and if it stays detected I'll continue adjusting RAM settings until I lose it again...

Any theory on why my windows was acting up? And do you know of a good and cheap cooling system? My GPU's are stranded in the bottom of my case but Sapphires don't really run hot because of their cooling system and I can set the fan speed to maximum manually... My RAM though I noticed does heat up at higher voltages and I'm not really sure what to do about that. I was also thinking of getting a better heatsink/fan for my CPU for overclocking (This is really unrelated and if you want to tell me to just go to another forums for that stuff you can lol)

No longer detecting 2nd card >.<
    Last edited by kenshin13850; 08-30-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Those kernal errors you mention can be caused by incorrect BIOS settings, next time don't format/reinstall, try loading optimized defaults first as normally it is just a setting that is off

Let us know how your Crossfire gets along, hope it stays working for you!!

Heatsink, I recommend ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme if it will fit in your case.

$50.95 here
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - for Intel Socket 775 & 1366

If you need other suggestions let me know, you can ask whatever you like no need to go to another forum buddy!

i lost the crossfire again but I wasn't expecting it to stay working. I'll try the optimized thing next time it happens though!

You've been a lot of help though, thanks! I'll look into the heatsink. It should fit lol

If you have more ideas I'll still be checking this forum lol

Hmm, very odd to hear. I have never had any issues, but then again I am still using 3870 here sadly

are there others that can help lol?

Thread Information