Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fix "dead" dual BIOS motherboard if flashing failed

Default Re: How to fix "dead" dual BIOS motherboard if flashing failed

"You never said, are you trying to use modified BIOSes or what"

I am using Stock unmodified BIOS's.

I did not realize I could do that. I thought I had to let the recovery process happen on its own. I did not realize I could hit DEL and enter BIOS then Qflash Utility.

Darn if I knew that I bet I would be able to flash successfully.

DMI option? I never saw it when things were working ok and I was using Qflash to flash FD and FFb Beta Bios's.

Maybe DMI option is only there when booting into Backup bios?

So doing it this way will let me flash the main bios without it giving me verification errors or could the main bios still be bad and locked or something to the point where it won't allow Re-FLashing?

"If BIOS verification is failing are you sure your memory is stable? You may want to try flashing again, with a new BIOS download, saved in a new location (preferably a spare hard drive you have, formatted to FAT32)"

I have vmware running in Linux with fat32 emulated so I downloaded the Bios's this way. My first post did say I was able to flash successfylly from FB to FD to FFb Beta , then back to FD with no problems. It was after that I could not flash anything. I am using the same Bios's that I donwloaded on Fat32 back then so the Bios's files I downloaded should not be corrupted.

Thanks and Great Guide btw.
    Last edited by osxfr33k; 11-05-2010 at 02:49 AM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Q-Flash main screen:

(Image is from http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html)
    Last edited by profJim; 02-04-2012 at 07:14 PM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by osxfr33k View Post
    "You never said, are you trying to use modified BIOSes or what"

I am using Stock unmodified BIOS's.

I did not realize I could do that. I thought I had to let the recovery process happen on its own. I did not realize I could hit DEL and enter BIOS then Qflash Utility.

Darn if I knew that I bet I would be able to flash successfully.

DMI option? I never saw it when things were working ok and I was using Qflash to flash FD and FFb Beta Bios's.

Maybe DMI option is only there when booting into Backup bios?

So doing it this way will let me flash the main bios without it giving me verification errors or could the main bios still be bad and locked or something to the point where it won't allow Re-FLashing?

"If BIOS verification is failing are you sure your memory is stable? You may want to try flashing again, with a new BIOS download, saved in a new location (preferably a spare hard drive you have, formatted to FAT32)"

I have vmware running in Linux with fat32 emulated so I downloaded the Bios's this way. My first post did say I was able to flash successfylly from FB to FD to FFb Beta , then back to FD with no problems. It was after that I could not flash anything. I am using the same Bios's that I donwloaded on Fat32 back then so the Bios's files I downloaded should not be corrupted.

Thanks and Great Guide btw.
    Thanks for the clarification, I just wasn't sure if you were modifying the BIOSes or not due to your comment about ACPI tables an such.

Yes, you can hit DEL to enter the BIOS, or END to Qflash, right then when you first see the initial splash screen when it finally boots.

DMI option is there for sure, as you can see in the image above as that is a older version of Qflash and even it has it. Some cheaper/lesser models do not, or very old BIOS, but I'm sure yours does.

Please redownload the files onto a normal NTFS computer, not within a VMware machine, then transfer to your USB Stick. And what I mean by preferably was to flash from an actual spare hard drive if you have one formatted partially to FAT32, or a small 1GB FAT32 Partition.

I mentioned flashing from a FAT32 hard drive, with new BIOS files, just to be sure the files are not corrupt, or there isn't a problem with flashing from your USB for some random reason. It's not a must, just trying to think of new ways you could try the flash again normally without having to short things all over again or any of this nonsense.

You should be able to flash via Qflash from any FAT32 Partition, Floppy, or USB Stick, and clear the DMI by disabling the Keep DMI Data option. Hopefully a new, normal flash will get things going for you, that was my intention.

I could also make a bootable CD for you if you like, if you want to try that let me know what BIOS version you want, and if you know how to properly burn an ISO image.

Thanks so much for this great information. SHouldn't the vmware windows XP that is fat32 be ok to download and extract the bios to then to FAT32 Usb flash drive?

A CD would be great to have Bios Version FB, FD and FFb for GA-EP45-UD3P v1.6

It almost looks like you cannot move to that DMI field? Is it greyed out or can you move up to change it to disable?

As I recall:
    the up/down arrow keys allow you go to one of the displayed options
    the page-up or page-down keys should change the DMI option to Enable or Disable

When using Q-Flash to update the bios, the bios file needs to be on a Fat32/16/12 drive that is accessible.
    I've download and saved bios files to NTFS or Fat partitions, but Q-Flash needs to access a FAT partition for the actual flash file on a floppy, usb or hard drive. I assume that a FAT partition on an SSD would also work. I'm not sure about a flash file on an optical drive, I've never tried it.

My preference is for Q-Flash to access a hard drive, due to faster disk access. A usb drive should not be a problem.

**edit** It's safest to have your system hooked up to a UPS system.
    If there's a momentary power spike or loss while the bios is being flashed, you risk bricking your mobo.
    Last edited by profJim; 11-06-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: more info
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    As I recall:
    the up/down arrow keys allow you go to one of the displayed options
    the page-up or page-down keys should change the DMI option to Enable or Disable

When using Q-Flash to update the bios, the bios file needs to be on a Fat32/16/12 drive that is accessible.
    I've download and saved bios files to NTFS or Fat partitions, but Q-Flash needs to access a FAT partition for the actual flash file on a floppy, usb or hard drive. I assume that a FAT partition on an SSD would also work. I'm not sure about a flash file on an optical drive, I've never tried it.

My preference is for Q-Flash to access a hard drive, due to faster disk access. A usb drive should not be a problem.

**edit** It's safest to have your system hooked up to a UPS system.
    If there's a momentary power spike or loss while the bios is being flashed, you risk bricking your mobo.
    Thanks for the Info!

Glad to help out.
    Let us know how things turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by osxfr33k View Post
    Thanks so much for this great information. SHouldn't the vmware windows XP that is fat32 be ok to download and extract the bios to then to FAT32 Usb flash drive?

A CD would be great to have Bios Version FB, FD and FFb for GA-EP45-UD3P v1.6

It almost looks like you cannot move to that DMI field? Is it greyed out or can you move up to change it to disable?
    Ya, it "Should" be ok, but I was just asking you to do the other methods because you seem to be having a problem, and doing it differently would rule out the transfer from virtual machine or temp space from the VM to USB.

Here is a bootable CD ISO with several BIOS images and FlashSPI, this is a direct ISO image download, not a Zip or RAR File, do not extract this at all.

This MUST be burnt as an Image File (img), if you are unsure how to burn ISO images let me know and I will link you to some guides.

Once you boot from this CD, you will be presented with an A: Prompt once it's done doing everything, you must then switch to Z: prompt at shown below.

Just enter "z:" without the quotes, then you can use dir/w to see the BIOS flasher and included files.

Then type "flashspi biosfilenamehere.Fxx" to flash a BIOS

Gigabyte.Bootable.BIOS.Flasher.CD.DVD.iso
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-07-2010 at 04:21 PM.

@Lsdmeasap,

Thanks so much for the file. I am using Roxio Toast in Mac OSX to burn it.

I am assuming their is no memory management files loading, such as EMS etc? I know they can cause problems. I see its Caldera your using.

I only use windows XP and windows 7 in vmware fusion or virtualbox.

I have put up too much with windows viruses and all the issues I have had in the past. I rather run them virtually.

I am studying to take my comTIA A+ sometime near the end of December. Been building custom PCs for over 20 years and never ran into this Bios Issue before. I have flashed many other devices in the past, hard drives, Network cards, Graphics cards you name it and never ran into one single problem.

I do use UPS systems during flashing.

I basically run Linux and experimenting with OSX vanilla on my GA-EP45-UD3P board and surprisingly is runs nearly 100% vanilla. Gigabyte boards are extremely versatile.

Thanks for the file and I will test it.
    Last edited by osxfr33k; 11-07-2010 at 11:03 PM.

I can't remember what I stuck in that particular CD, as I often build various boot CD's for users and I tend to just grab a previously made one and switch out the BIOS files needed then rebuild it.

It shouldn't matter at all what's in it anyway, as it has to be ran from DOS before your OS anyway, so nothing Linux related is going to affect it.

Let us know how the flash goes, good luck!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information