Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My EP35C-DS3R Damaged.. Why?

Default My EP35C-DS3R Damaged.. Why?

I rma'd it but i want to learn what was the problem?

My computer was behaving like this due to motherboard damage:When i push the power button,fans starts working for a while(2-3 seconds) then system shuts itself.I push the button again and again.. but it won't start..

All parts of computer tested seperately and found the problem is motherboard.Also i have to say that my ram modules damaged 2 weeks before motherboard suddenly.

Now i've got some guess about this:

1)My system was overclocked and totally stable.
    FSB:400 (Cpu:E8500 3800mhz)
    FSB and MCH overvoltages was at default.
    Ram was working at 2.0v,1066mhz(kingston hyperx)
    Could these settings damage a motherboard and rams back to back?(i've used my computer with these settings for just 4 months)

2)Could "static electric" be problem?

3)I used @BIOS to flash my motherboard few times without any problem but read that @BIOS isn't recommended here.

4)Just bad luck? Maybe they were already damaged when i bought..
    Last edited by ther; 08-27-2009 at 02:44 AM.

Default Re: My EP35C-DS3R Damaged.. Why?

I've had such an issue after replacing the heatsink with watercooling block. I must have fastened it using too much strength, since the motherboard proggressively stopped working. The Gigabyte service fixed this, but they didn't use to inform what they had done with the equipment to make it work.
    Now I'm happy to have my mobo back in good health and I don't care what particularly was wrong about it :)
    GA-EP45-DS3R F8 / E8400@4.2GHz / Scythe Katana 2 / Patriot Dual LLK 2x2GB CL4 /
    EVGA GTX280@640/2550MHz / X-Fi X-treme Music / Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32MB /
    Chieftec Dragon CFT-650-14C / Win XP Pro SP2

1) An overclock that "low" won't damage the motherboard, only more extreme stuff will damge it.

2) If you worked inside the PC just before the motherboard died (i.e. changed a component, after that the motherboard wouldn't work anymore, even with the original component).

3) It can only be @BIOS if the motherboard fails right after flashing with @BIOS.

4) Computer components do fail after some time, maybe yours had some quality issues from the beginning that caused them to fail earlier than they would normally do (which is maybe after 5 years or so of regular use).

What I think most likely caused this though is your PSU. If two components fail within a very short time of each other then the PSU may very well be supplying unstable voltages or voltage spikes that damaged those components (PC components are very sensitive to voltage spikes). Do make a backup of important data, because if it is the PSU it could be your HD that will fail next. If you want to be sure that nothing else will fail, I'd change the PSU.
    Unfortunately it's very hard to tell if your CPU delivers occasional voltage spikes, you'd need professional equipment to notice these spikes, a simple digital multimeter won't catch them, because they only last a fraction of a second.

PS: What brand is your PSU?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    1) An overclock that "low" won't damage the motherboard, only more extreme stuff will damge it.

2) If you worked inside the PC just before the motherboard died (i.e. changed a component, after that the motherboard wouldn't work anymore, even with the original component).

3) It can only be @BIOS if the motherboard fails right after flashing with @BIOS.

4) Computer components do fail after some time, maybe yours had some quality issues from the beginning that caused them to fail earlier than they would normally do (which is maybe after 5 years or so of regular use).

What I think most likely caused this though is your PSU. If two components fail within a very short time of each other then the PSU may very well be supplying unstable voltages or voltage spikes that damaged those components (PC components are very sensitive to voltage spikes). Do make a backup of important data, because if it is the PSU it could be your HD that will fail next. If you want to be sure that nothing else will fail, I'd change the PSU.
    Unfortunately it's very hard to tell if your CPU delivers occasional voltage spikes, you'd need professional equipment to notice these spikes, a simple digital multimeter won't catch them, because they only last a fraction of a second.

PS: What brand is your PSU?
    Thanks for your reply..

Actually yes i changed components before this problem(changed rams and cpu fan)
    My psu is FSP Epsilon 700w..I think it should has protection not to damage other components.(overload underload vs..)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Could have been just bad luck, none of your settings look damaging to me. I have used WAY more and never hurt anything.

Could be your PSU was going bad and took things with it or gave incorrect voltages and fried things. I would get a PSU Tester and check the Rails to be sure they are all within spec

If you need help finding a tester let me know and I will show you the one I use, not too expensive and works good

rbmorse is offline Junior Member

The behavior you describe indicates an electrical short circuit somewhere. They can be difficult to localize, so all I can offer is to carefully check you latest work, and take care to not overtighten screws and other connectors that can crush the layers of the motherboard substrate together.

Thread Information