Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 + GA-EP45-UD3P + SSD Need Tips!

Default Windows 7 + GA-EP45-UD3P + SSD Need Tips!

Hi,
    I am going to install Windows 7 x64 (off of USB) on a single OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD today and I would appreciate it if anybody could toss me some installation hints/tips to prevent any hiccups!
    Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
    Would like to use AHCI.
    Rest of my rig in the sig.

Some questions that I have:

1) Will I need to pre-install any storage drivers or does Windows 7 already have it?

2) Which exact storage drivers should I install? (I pulled these from stasio's thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/)
    So far I have these:
    JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.50_WHQL_eSATA
    STOR_allOS_8.9.0.1023_PV
    motherboard_driver_sataraid_intel (Intel ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Driver 8.5.0.1032) <--- Does this one need to be installed if I install STOR_allOS_8.9.0.1023_PV?

Thanks,
    Trikat
    Processor: Intel i5-3570K (stock)
    Cooling: Stock intel CPU cooler
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene
    Memory: Samsung 2x 8GB M379B5273DH0-YK0
    PSU: Corsair AX750 Gold
    Case: Lian Li PC-P50R
    Monitor: U2713HM
    Video Card: Sapphire 6950 2GB (Gigabyte 280X rev2 currently artifacting)
    Sound Card: Onboard

rbmorse is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Windows 7 + GA-EP45-UD3P + SSD Need Tips!

Windows 7 comes with AHCI mode storage drivers, but I'm not sure if it supports the SSD out of the box. I don't have one to test with.

The JBM36X driver package are for your secondary SATA/PATA RAID controller. You only need to install those if you want to run the GSATA controller in AHCI mode or use it as a PATA RAID controller (are you sure?).

I'm pretty sure the RTM shipset for Windows 7 already has the 1023 Intel SATA drivers, but it's a simple matter to update after the installation if it doesn't. I'm running the 1023 drivers but I also installed the Matrix Storage Manager console (recommended) after the install and I can't remember if it updated the drivers or not.

My recommendation would be to do the install and get things working stably with the drivers in the shipset, then upgrade if you NEED to.

I have only used the Gigabyte SATA ports once or twice so I guess i'll leave those out.

I see you are recommending the Matrix Storage Manager console so i'll just go ahead and install this: Intel® Matrix Storage Manager*Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager
    I believe it provides the 1023 and the console.

Ok, i'm off to installing Window 7 as I cannot wait any longer! :)

It installed fine using AHCI off the bat. :)
    Absolutely no hiccups at all. I'm just amazed at how fast all the programs installed!
    I also loved the fact I did not have to reboot at all with any Win 7 or Office 07 updates (besides the reboot required with Office 07 SP2).

rbmorse is offline Junior Member

:)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see you had no issues here!

So how fast is your SSD, and what brand/model? And what drive/drives did you use before that you re comparing to?

I have an OCZ Vertex 120GB with firmware 1.30 (latest as of this date).

I have not done a proper benchmarking of the SSD as write tests should not be performed if you do have an OS on it. <--- Kind of a lie, but read on!
    Doing benchmarking tests can slow down the performance and repeated tests will decrease the lifespan. There are programs that can recover the performance of the hard drive, but running those may present a small risk which I do not want to take right now. (It's in my primary rig.)
    The new firmware, which should be released soon, should help with performance recovery and I will wait until that before I do some benchmarking.
    I just know that everything loads very quickly and installing programs are a breeze now!
    I am going going to use the SSD as an OS with programs/apps. Using it as storage isn't a good idea.
    My previous hard drive was a Velociraptor 150GB.

I highly recommend reading up on the OCZ forums or any other forum that has good support on SSDs.
    For example: The OCZ Vertex needs an alignment if you install it in XP, but Vista/Windows 7 automatically aligns the Vertex.
    How to set up Windows on a VERTEX - OCZ Forum Wiki
    There are tweaks that are basically mandatory when using a SSD (at the bottom of that wiki). However if Windows 7 detects the SSD as an SSD, it will turn off certain settings such as defrag and superfetch. For some reason my Vertex is not being detected as a SSD so I had to manually tweak my OS which is not a big deal since I would've done these tweaks even if I did not have a SSD.

If you use your computer a lot I strongly suggest you to get a SSD, but if you do not use it that frequently the price/performance ratio isn't worth it.
    If you are rich... get it now!

I have the same exact motherboard and I am having issues with Win7 64-bit. I cannot get my sound to work. It says the drivers install successfully, I restart my computer, and nothing. I've tried the original CD that came with the mobo, I've downloaded the newest version from GIGABYTE's website, I've tried drivers for Vista and XP in compatibility mode, and still no good. Any suggestions? Everything else is running smoothly, and if it makes a difference, I had XP 32-bit before I upgraded.

I have same board with Win 7 pro RTM and no audio problems. Which version was the driver u installed?

You might want to start your own thread to get help with the issue.
    Intel Q6600 G0 1.325V VID @ 8x415MHz 1.45Vcore
    Xigmatek S1283
    GA-EP45-UD3P V1.0 F1
    0f
    F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
    MSI HD4870 1GB
    Samsung HD503HJ
    Windows 7 Pro x64 RTM
    Antec P180 + Corsair HX520

All right, I will. But since you've responded I'll post here. I've got R2.35 fresh from Realtek's site.

Since I posted, I've screwed around with some stuff and I've got sound to come out when I test the audio using the Realtek HD Audio Manager, and when (at the risk of sounding too nerdy) I play world of warcraft. Nothing else works though, like Winamp, websites that play sound, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information