Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD3R restart, audio problems

Default GA-EX58-UD3R restart, audio problems

I just put together a new build and it is having several issues. Here are the specs:
    <o:p> </o:p>
    i7 920 D0
    6gb kit OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 (was running 7-7-7-24 @ 1.64v, but BIOS gave boot failure error)
    EVGA GTX 275
    Corsair 750TX
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Rev. 1.6 (shipped with FB, tried FC, now with FD1 beta BIOS)
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ
    Windows 7 x64 RC
    Antec Twelve Hundred
    Old BenQ IDE burner
    1. The system restarts instead of shutting down after exiting Windows 7, so I have to hold down the power button after exiting Windows to shut it down after it restarts. It will also sometimes power on but not POST, then restart after a cold boot. The second restart will POST and load fine. It does this with XP also.

<o:p> </o:p>2. There is a squealing that seems to be coming from the X58 chip when under graphics load. There’s no sound like that when running CPU intensive stuff, like Prime95. I swapped the GTX 275 with a 7900gs ko and it continued.
    3. The audio makes weird sounds exactly like in this guy’s video. It does this with headphones or other speakers plugged into the rear jack and the front. Just like in the video, it gets worse when I move the mouse. The sound begins as soon as the Windows 7 loading screen appears.

This is what I’ve tried so far for all of the problems with no success:
    -Used another case for the power switch
    -Ran 2gb stick only in DDR3_1 slot
    -Tested all 6gb RAM with Memtest86 (no errors on 1 pass)
    -To rule out Windows 7, booted with XP on another drive
    -Disconnected all peripherals including case fans, burner, audio cables to mobo
    -Tried different SATA cables
    -Swapped GTX 275 with old 7900gs ko
    -Disabled auto restart upon error in Windows
    -Disabled C1E in BIOS
    -Changed Soft-Off PWR-BTTN to Delay 4 Sec.
    -Disabled wake up events
    -Flashed to FC using Q-Flash & USB stick
    -Uninstalled LAN and Realtek drivers
    -Uninstalled EasyTune6
    -Ran Prime95, Video Card Stability Test, BurnInTest with no issues.
    The CPU idles at 33-39C, 59 under full load and the system has been otherwise stable.
    Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Last edited by mr.t; 08-31-2009 at 05:23 AM. Reason: New BIOS

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD3R restart, audio problems

first update the lan drivers from gigabyte website,the newer drivers make the sound quieter but dont get rid of it completely.to eliminate the sound alltogether go into bios and click advanced cpu features then disable c1e halt state(its cpu power saving feature) sound should go away tho youll run few degrees hotter with it disabled.also the shutting down somwhere in the bios theres an option that lets you configure the power on/off/wake buttons make sure that the power off at front button is enabled.........the squealing is a common problem all it is is the noise of the chokes throttling the cpu power to save heat/energy mine does it tho its only on start up and can hear it faintly in background when playing music loud....ahhh just read that youve tried c1e try re-seating your graphics card maybe its not clicked in propperly as for ram timings i have mine on auto not the voltage tho as it sets it too high......... also id update the chipset drivers all from gigabytes website
    Last edited by wazza300; 08-30-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Ok, using Gigabyte's newest drivers for audio and lan worked. If the squealing is normal then I'm not going to worry about it. I'll check on the BIOS settings now.

yes its normal my ud5 does it but its not noticable and on my board if i disable c1e it goes completely but i like to save power n run few degrees cooler so i keep it on....cpu temps look good to me i idle at 32c as i type and touch 74-70c across all four cores on full load @3.8ghz everything enabled i use an akasa nero cooler very good cooler and cheap too

It's definitely the C1E setting. I enabled it and the noise is back. The C3/C6/C7 State Support setting does the same thing, which makes sense because it's also a power-saving function. I can't find anything in the BIOS about the power off except Soft-Off By PWR-BTTN which gives only instant off or a 4 second delay as options. It won't shut down with a shutdown command, shutdown in the start menu, or by pressing the front power button on the case--it just restarts after shutting off for about 3-4 seconds.

Your cooler looks similar to the Xigmatek Dark Knight that I'm running. I'm liking the heat pipe design.
    Last edited by mr.t; 08-30-2009 at 10:52 AM.

ok you know where u plug the power cable in on the front panel? you plug it in on the motherboard make sure u have it plugged into the right pin as theres a bunch of them tightly grouped together right at the bottom of the board it should say front pwr or something like that

Yep, checked that. I swapped the case power switch with another and it still wouldn't properly shutdown.

I also flashed the BIOS again from FC to FD1, but no joy.

i ment inside, the pin that it connects to on the motherboard have you connected it to the right one?

Right, the pins on the motherboard itself. Yeah, I unplugged the wires that run from the motherboard to the case front for the power switch and in their place ran wires from a different case and its power switch to see if the original power switch had a short or was faulty in some way. So with two different cases and two different power switches, it still has the same problem.

ok you have to be 100% sure your plugged into the right pins tho as theres pins for restart switch also aswell as power on/off,do u have latest bios? and as for cold boots my board does that on odd occasions but second time it boots up maybe cos it has dual bios chips it double boots....i dont know what else to suggest on the power/shut down
    also what os are you running? as i have to wait a long time sometimes for vista64 to shut down but it does shut down pc eventually,when im in xp that shuts down quickly
    Last edited by wazza300; 08-31-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information