Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ex58 board mixed memory question

Default ex58 board mixed memory question

Doesn anyone know how the intel flex memory function works? And what its limitations/cons/performance hit it takes?

In my ex58-ud5 manual it states :

Code:
    Due to chipset limitation, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual or 3 Channel mode.
    Dual Channel--
    1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed.
    2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four modules, it is recommended that memory of
    the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two
    memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 sockets.
    3 Channel--
    1. 3 Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one or two DDR3 memory modules are installed.
    2. When enabling 3 Channel mode with three, four or six modules, it is recommended that memory
    of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.
    When enabling 3 Channel mode with three memory modules, be sure to install them in the
    DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets.
    When enabling 3 Channel mode with four memory modules, be sure to install them in the
    DDR3_1, DDR3_2, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 sockets.
    Then there is a note below that saying

Code:
    If only one DDR3 memory module is installed, be sure to install it in the DDR3_1 or DDR3_3.
    • When memory modules of different capacity and chips are installed, a message which
    says memory is operating in Flex Memory Mode will appear during the POST. Intel® Flex
    Memory Technology offers greater flexibility to upgrade by allowing different memory sizes
    to be populated and remain in Dual/3 Channel mode/performance.
    My question is, in flex memory mode is there a degridation in memory performance?

I currently have 3gb in 1 gb sticks.

My intention is to get more memory and I am trying to decide between another 6gb ( same specs but higher capacity ) or another 3gb.

Ideally i'd like to have 9gb total as I would be able to run more vmware instances but not if its going to have a serious negative effect performance wise (would just ditch the original 3gb).
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 F9a Bios
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    Corsair 6 Sticks of TR3X3G1600C9
    2 x Albatron 8800GT. Zalman coolers. Iandh heatsinks
    1 x ATI 5870
    2 x 30GB OCZ Core v2 SSD Raid 0 running from ICH10R controller (OS Drive). Data Drives - 2 x 320G WD, 2 x 750 Samsung, 1 x 500gb WD, 4 x samsung 1.5TB eco raid 5, 1 x ocz summit 60gb
    Windows 7 64bit

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: ex58 board mixed memory question

It is in your best interest to not mix modules, size, speed, or brands. Of course yes you can do it, but it may cause you more headaches then you are willing to put into getting things stable.

I'd suggest you just get the 6GB Kit and remove your 3x1GB kit, then test the 6GB itself for a while and see if it covers your needs. If you need more than 6GB I'd suggest another of the same 6GB kit really.

Or just get another matched set of 3x1GB

It can be done mixed, but it's not the best thing to do unless you have no other choice

As for what you ask, here is some info on Flex Memory Technology

Here is a older article on Flex Memory
    Intel Flex Memory Technology - Review Tom's Hardware : Intel Stakes Its Vision of the PC Future with 775 Launch

And here is an Intel Article on the subject
    Desktop Boards - Single / dual / flex / triple memory modes

thanks lsd ... as always your the person with the goods!

I'd assumed that it was never a good idea to mix and match (hence the warning in the manual). But they did have that note in there saying it was supported so who knows who is telling the truth ;)

i'd actually read the bottom intel link (not much detailed info on flex tho).

From what I can infer from both the old tom's article and the intel info is that there will be a significant performance hit to allow async memory to work.

I'll just get some matched 3g's to be on the safe side. Don't really require more than 6gb atm.
    Last edited by Koops; 08-31-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 F9a Bios
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    Corsair 6 Sticks of TR3X3G1600C9
    2 x Albatron 8800GT. Zalman coolers. Iandh heatsinks
    1 x ATI 5870
    2 x 30GB OCZ Core v2 SSD Raid 0 running from ICH10R controller (OS Drive). Data Drives - 2 x 320G WD, 2 x 750 Samsung, 1 x 500gb WD, 4 x samsung 1.5TB eco raid 5, 1 x ocz summit 60gb
    Windows 7 64bit

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Thanks for your kind words!

You can do it if you want, but it is just generally a lot more hassle then it is worth to most users. I just ran some tests (Simple bootup 6GB Vs 12GB) for someone the other day to see if BIOS changes were needed between 6/12GB and had no issues. I mixed Mushkin 787-20 set with Crucial 888-20 set

So it is possible of course, just not the best way to go about doing things

Ya I'd go ahead and get another matched 3x1GB kit, or just go ahead and buy a 3x2GB Set and sell the 3x1 you have now

Thread Information